Windows 8.1

noesges97

2Florin, i don't understand you.. at the moment I have Lenovo Y500 with the BIOS v2.02 unlocked and "Y500 - Y400 - SLI 650m - 80.07.27.00.33 - OC.ROM" this bios for the second GPU, that is all I can overclock the GPU.But on windows 8.1, you must update the BIOS to the second GPU earned SLY, but to my knowledge when updating the BIOS second GPU it can not overclock.

Okay..but look what you wrote:

On a laptop y500 with built-in windows 8.1 sli mode does not work. Need to update the BIOS from the site Lenovo from October 28, = (

You said it does not work, you did not mentioned anything regarding OC.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if it's still relevant but Lenovo did post the update that gets SLI functioning again with the latest Nvidia drivers. I've been using it and it works great so far. Haven't had any problems since then. Haven't tried overclocking or anything yet though.

You can find it here: NVIDIA GeForce GT750M Second VGA BIOS Update for Windows 8.1 (64-bit) - IdeaPad Y410p, Y510p

anyone try it on 410p? Seems like lenovo has release driver for windows 8.1 (410p & 510p) dont know if it is problem free.

Drivers and software - IdeaPad Y410p Notebook

I've tried it, in my case it's a great piece of software but the driver update is a must... (why the h*ll do we have to update if it is the exact same OS???)

I accidentally downloaded the upgrade, and now I'm stuck with Windows 8.1. About everything in this OS is worse then windows 8. WiFi chip malfunctions, and SLI is disabled. I tried the official fix for the SLI, but no luck for me. And I finally decided I will very soon upgrade my bios to replace my WiFI chip.

In the end, if you're running 8 and its fine, dont upgrade I'd say.

I accidentally downloaded the upgrade, and now I'm stuck with Windows 8.1. About everything in this OS is worse then windows 8. WiFi chip malfunctions, and SLI is disabled. I tried the official fix for the SLI, but no luck for me. And I finally decided I will very soon upgrade my bios to replace my WiFI chip.

In the end, if you're running 8 and its fine, dont upgrade I'd say.

If you are having problems without making a little research, cause there is a fix and it works for everybody, don't think that 8.1 is worse.

I am running on 8.1, no issues so far, SLI is working, WiFi is working (I am using it all day at work). Sound is ok too..

If you are having problems without making a little research, cause there is a fix and it works for everybody, don't think that 8.1 is worse.

I am running on 8.1, no issues so far, SLI is working, WiFi is working (I am using it all day at work). Sound is ok too..

Okay perhaps I was a little shallow in saying it doesnt work. I have fixed the wifi issue sort of, only the SLI still doesn't work for me. It works until I reboot. On the other hand 8.1 software is quite nice, you can boot to desktop and have better options and all.

Only the damned SLI refuses to work...

First thing I did is format and reinstall windows froms scratch! I can't stand the load of crapware OE puts on there...

8.1 does have a "start button", it's just to switch to Metro but still, it's more usefull than trying to poke around the down-left corner.

Wait a few months and then update. Games won't run. Drivers won't work. You won't really get much out of 8.1 unless you actively use the metro stuff. I jumped on the update the very day it was launched (wasn't aware) and guess what? All my applications became fuzzy and drivers were a pain to handle as they kept crashing so yeah either stick to Windows 8 or wait few months. I had to manual reinstall Windows 8 back and boy was I sorry. Cheers.

It's funny how right-clicking the new start button has so much more functionality than the left-click.

Shhh! You will unleash the hell with words like that. They will come at you that it doesn't have accessories or programs or some other utterly stupid menu.

The start menu how it is now in 8.1 is damn good. It was even better in 8 because there was no freaking icon. Just seamless integration with the desktop, but nooo...people wanted the button.

The HDD is definately the bottleneck. Swap it out for an SSD and put the HDD in an external case and use it for data. If you get a case that supports USB 3.0 then you shouldn't be concerned with read/write speeeds for everyday use. 5400 RPM is perfect for data as well as audio/video.

Other option: Buy an M.2 SSD and pop it in the slot; boot off that and leave the 5400 RPM HDD in for data.

I installed a Plextor 128gn mSATA as boot/os and couldnt be happier. I did the 8.1 clean install tutorial from tweakhound. Now I have Window 8.1, MS office 2013 suite, adobe cs6 master Collection, Autoca2013 and a few games on the SSD. The stock HDD is use as a backup drive, as well as torrent storage and my mp3 collection. As well as games that I dont care how fast they load, lol.

Yeah, the first thing I dad was replace the 1TB Seagate 5200 RPM drive that came with my Y510P and use a Crucial M500 240gb as my primary drive after swapping out the old one. Was kind of complicated, as the laptop has no CD drive, nor another sata connector, so I had to put my SSD into an external enclosure so that I could clone the 1TB drive onto the SSD, so I wouldn't have to reinstall Windows 8 (as they didn't ship a recovery/reinstall disk)

Now if I could just get a mod for this 3.05 bios i'd be able to use the AC 7260 wireless card I bought for it.

• 3 weeks later...