Need help, X7200 issues and I'm lost

DR650SE

Ok so at the other forum I started a thread, but I wanted to start one hear as well to try and rack some great minds to see if I can solve my problems.

Several months back my X7200 died. I turned it off, took it home, and nothing. Would not power on or anything. However the front of the laptop would show that it was plugged in. The lights would light up. Eventually I decided the best fix was a motherboard. So I dropped $390 to Eurocom for a new mobo. Well in the last few days I was able to do the motherboard swap. Now it powers on, but I really can't do anything without it blue screening.

I'm almost ready to give up, but I don't want to since I just dropped $390 into the motherboard, and had to replace my screen a few months back after it was crushed as I deployed out here.

I was trying to repair this so I can wait to get a desktop later on and still retain a mobile platform. But right now I can't boot into Windows. Can't boot into Startup Repair, Can't boot into Safe Mode, Tried removing each GPU, Tried Removing each RAM DIMM, tried RAM in different slots, Tried removing each HDD, Tried booting from Win 7 disk, tried booting from a Ubuntu Linux disk, Tried changing from AHCI to RAID and vice versa, tried reseating and repasting the GPU, tried repasting the CPU. Nada. All I can think of is another motherboard issue with a brand new motherboard. My last ditch effort maybe to get a cheap i7 CPU and try that. When I first tried repasting the CPU, it wouldn't post to the bios, then I cleaned it a bit and repasted and it began again. The system will post to the bios, and I can get into the bios. I can sit in the bios as long as I want, but anything paste is super sketchy and eventually just restarts, or BSOD. The BSODs sometimes vary. If you have any suggestions please let me know. I've sprung a few more gray hairs because of this lol. I'm almost ready to box it up and ship it home.

EDIT: I also ran a memory test, didn't seem to come up with any issues.

Here is my thread over at the other forum: Maybe of some help? :confused:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/728401-x7200-wont-power.html

Here is the light that would come on with the old motherboard, even though all other signs pointed to a dead mobo. No power to anything, no response to anything.

ta2yjeba.jpg

Here is a snapshot of the BSOD, at least one of them I have gotten.

Stop 0x0000007e.

103254d1381905913-x7200-wont-power-uploadfromtaptalk1381905911141.jpg

I see you had some issues with the pasting of the CPU, did you check what your CPU temperatures are in the BIOS, maybe they're sky high & it's causing issues? Is the fan cable plugged into the motherboard properly (perhaps you had to disconnect it to replace the CPU, and it's not reseated properly) - don't know if that could cause blue screens if the fan cable was not fully seated home - intermittent connection?

I also see that you replaced the screen some time ago. What happens if the connection is intermittently dodgy from your replaced screen to the motherboard - would that cause Blue Screens if the connection was intermittent?

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but those were the two things that came to mind after reading your post (quite possibly some long shots!).

(Haha, sorry for my apparent liking of the word intermittent!)

• Thumbs Up 1

Lol no worries. I have hand any issues with the connections, but I'll be double checking them after work. Fan was running, but no way to check temps in the bios :/ I'll go back over all motherboard connections again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR XT912 / CM 10.2

What do you mean by you tried booting from the win7 disk? It blue screened as well? If so the win7 disk will try to revert to a backup off the HDD, so if the backup is bad it will BSOD.

I would just wipe an HDD and try to get just 1 working. Thew new mobo probably booted with RAID off, so maybe the first boot corrupted the HDDs.

This sounds like a software problem and not hardware to me. Hardware issues are usually hard freezes (I know because I have caused a lot of them).

That's good news. But would that be the case if I was also trying to boot off a Ubuntu disc? When my first mobo died, I wasn't using SSDs in RAID. I hope it's a corrupt OS, all I got is a friends 5+ year old Mac lol.

That's good news. But would that be the case if I was also trying to boot off a Ubuntu disc? When my first mobo died, I wasn't using SSDs in RAID. I hope it's a corrupt OS, all I got is a friends 5+ year old Mac lol.

That is weird that Ubuntu failed. Did it give any details on what happened? Also what BSOD codes have you been getting besides 0x7e, if any? Also what file is it listing as the file that caused an error?

Well I took my caddy with my OS SSD and my gaming SSD and flipped the disks. That seemed to work once. Got into windows. Then it gave me another BSOD. Same behavior as before.

Then I turned off hyper threading in the Bios and now my system will boot and run.

It was late and I was exhausted so I'm not sure if the SSD swap helped or not.

But now I know that if I have hyper threading on, it will BSOD while windows is loading.

Any ideas as to why?

Well I took my caddy with my OS SSD and my gaming SSD and flipped the disks. That seemed to work once. Got into windows. Then it gave me another BSOD. Same behavior as before.

Then I turned off hyper threading in the Bios and now my system will boot and run.

It was late and I was exhausted so I'm not sure if the SSD swap helped or not.

But now I know that if I have hyper threading on, it will BSOD while windows is loading.

Any ideas as to why?

No idea really! Although, it's the sort of thing that makes me think of BIOS level setting issues - not sure why, how about re-flashing the system BIOS?

• Thumbs Up 1

Disregard that, I had to turn legacy usb on :o

Updated both the EC and bios. Still can't turn hyper threading on without it just black screening, and auto restarting. Doesn't even BSOD.

Also getting a lot of BSOD in Windows. Every few hours or more. Mostly 0x50,page fault in nonpaged area.

Some 0xA, IRQL not less or equal.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Disregard that, I had to turn legacy usb on :o

Updated both the EC and bios. Still can't turn hyper threading on without it just black screening, and auto restarting. Doesn't even BSOD.

Also getting a lot of BSOD in Windows. Every few hours or more. Mostly 0x50,page fault in nonpaged area.

Some 0xA, IRQL not less or equal.

Is your system RAM ok? I damaged my system RAM once vacuuming my laptop (yes, I use cans of compressed air now!), and memtest86+ showed errors on the RAM immediately. I replaced the RAM and it stopped the blue screening. Maybe with all the work you've been doing on the system, maybe some static has got to the RAM. Memtest86+ can be run from a USB after POST without any influence from the Windows Operating System. (Memtest86+ website also has a USB installer to automate the creation of the bootable USB).

• Thumbs Up 1

Yea I'm running a very through memtest86 right now. It's been going for 8+ hours. I'll let it run for the next day or so. So far no errors. I'll let it run for at least 24 hours. I'm hoping it's a memory issue, and not a damaged cpu. I suppose if my motherboard up and died, it could have damaged the cpu too.

It's odd because the way my motherboard died, I didn't expect it. I shut down my computer via start menu, and it shut down. Unplugged the system, took it to my room, pressed power, and absolutely nothing.

So hopefully I have some memory error :P lol

Yea I'm running a very through memtest86 right now. It's been going for 8+ hours. I'll let it run for the next day or so. So far no errors. I'll let it run for at least 24 hours. I'm hoping it's a memory issue, and not a damaged cpu. I suppose if my motherboard up and died, it could have damaged the cpu too.

It's odd because the way my motherboard died, I didn't expect it. I shut down my computer via start menu, and it shut down. Unplugged the system, took it to my room, pressed power, and absolutely nothing.

So hopefully I have some memory error :P lol

Hopefully it's just the memory, but if you've not had an error after over 8 hours of running Memtest86+, then I'm thinking it's probably not going to flag up any errors even if you run it for a whole 24hours. But, I guess it's worth just letting it run to be sure. Unfortunately, I don't have any other ideas bar all the things I've already mentioned in this thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

OK, so I've been having lots of BSOD, and even Linux Mint has been crashing. A couple days back I ran memtest86 and didn't have any errors. Although it was an old copy of memtest86.

Since I installed Linux Mint, it also has a copy of memtest86 to boot too. I decided I'd boot to it. Ran it while I slept. Here's what I got. I think this might explain all the BSOD I've been having.

I really hope it's the memory and not the CPU. I really want this problem fixed. This has been the first good news I've had trying to diagnose the issue. Just don't know how the memory could have gone bad

Any idea if this is any Dimm in particular, or all 3 dimms are bad? I think it looks like a single Dimm. Just not sure which one.

Would this explain why I can't boot with hyper threading?

eba3ynen.jpg

This could explain all kinds of problems. Yes, it just looks like one memory card. I would pull one and test the other two. That would either tell you which one or give you a fifty fifty. Once you find the bad one, I would move it to a different slot and test again. So it could be a bad card, a bad slot, just loose, or a card or two that doesn't work well with another card. Are all cards exactly the same?

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks I went to eat and let it keep running and came back with a lot more errors. Bought them from Newegg. Since they don't sell 3x8GB, I bought a 2x8GB set and a 1x8GB stick of the same brand and everything. However, on my last motherboard, Windows said I had 24gb, and 16gb usable. I had figured on Dimm slot had died. So once I test them all individually, I should have a better idea. I'd rather buy the ram then a new CPU.

9y8y4u2e.jpg

Looks like I'll most likely be ordering more RAM. Hopefully the next batch is reliable. Now after looking on Newegg my story seems common for this type of ram. :(

Go figure... Corsair Value Select... :o 24GB for $100...G.Skill it is next time. I should have know better lol

I've had luck with G. Skill, are there any other RAM brands in should consider? I've also had luck with Kingston Hyper-X.

uva5evup.jpg