Alienware M18x – New Graphic Options Available soon!

Guest Frontpage News

Guest Frontpage News

Just a short update here.

The Alienware flagship M18x laptop code named Avenger is currently offered with three graphic card options.

Single*NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M Dual*NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M in SLI Dual AMD Radeon HD 6970M in CrossFireX

Since the launch, NVIDIA enthusiasts were complaining about the [...]

More...

• Founder

Well, it's not offered yet but i bet that if those video cards are introduced within your 21 days return period you can call in and arrange an upgrade.

If i were you i'd get the M18x, and keep it for those three weeks return period. Once you get close you can either choose to return it and reorder or ask for an upgrade.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yea good idea, Michael can you provide me the name of the rep you use just to make the option smoother if I have to go through it, I have been looking for a good rep for a while and I promise I am in no way planning to take advantage of him/her in any way. Just sick of some of the idiots I talk to at Dell.

Also one more thing, the 21 day period is that from purchase or from receiving the system.

Interesting news... But it may take a while until these options are available since the 560m isn't even released yet (afaik).

That's how it works in the world of tech... there's always something newer, better, faster and more expensive (hahaha). The 6970m CF will do a great job, I think it will offer the best price/performance ration even with these new options available, but we will see.

• Founder

I think there's two possibilities for blackcomb XTX: 1. It's the 1120 shader version like ichime has or it's an overclocked 6970M. It depends on the nVida's newest 500 series. If they are substantially faster than 6970M, then we can expect to see the 1120 shader version to counter that threat. As for nVidia's latest card, I'm not interested unless nVidia drops their prices to match or beat AMD. If they do that, then they will become a strong contender. There is also rumor that RGB LED will make a comeback to M18x later on in the fall. If all of this turns out being true, I think it will be for M18x-R2 rather than the current revision.

• Thumbs Up 1

Those bastards! I'm gonna push my order to be delayed long enough for blackcomb XTX... I think it will be worth it... just hope its early June... not late. Hopefully the rep that owns my case will go for it.

• Founder

Right now we are talking about possible options that concern the GPU, I would be more worried if they offered a better display down the road, because you can overclock the GPU and get easily performance for free, with the display though you can't, so don't get so worried about it, just enjoy your beasts cause with your current configs you can enjoy gaming at max settings for a long time, plus Dellienware is known to be the last to use the latest GPUs in their laptops so the waiting will be even longer...

• Founder

Yeah I don't care about the GPU options much, what concerns me is the possibility of RGB LED or IPS. If Dell does that, my avenger will be going back or I'll sell it and re-order. Sucks if that turns out to be the case cuz selling is a hassle and you lose $.

I just wish they would let people receive there machines they ordered on launch day before announcing something better. if you order the best at least hold the best before its obsolete lol

come on at least give me a day. lol

I just wish they would let people receive there machines they ordered on launch day before announcing something better. if you order the best at least hold the best before its obsolete lol

come on at least give me a day. lol

I agree. They're worse than Apple. :)

I think there's two possibilities for blackcomb XTX: 1. It's the 1120 shader version like ichime has or it's an overclocked 6970M. It depends on the nVida's newest 500 series. If they are substantially faster than 6970M, then we can expect to see the 1120 shader version to counter that threat. As for nVidia's latest card, I'm not interested unless nVidia drops their prices to match or beat AMD. If they do that, then they will become a strong contender. There is also rumor that RGB LED will make a comeback to M18x later on in the fall. If all of this turns out being true, I think it will be for M18x-R2 rather than the current revision.

Or option 3 (which I'm hoping): an underclocked Radeon 6950 core. I mean, why not since the 6950 consumes less power than the GTX 560Ti which the GTX 485M and 580M are based off of. BTW, I no longer have the 1120 shader 6970M :P

But either way and like you pointed out before, the 6970M and the current enthusiast grade notebook GPU lineup have plenty of power.

An underclocked 6950 core can be unlocked to an underclocked 6970 core. And then overclocked to a 6970 level.

Then people melt their laptops.

But if I could, by the fucking gods you bet I would. I would do whatever ungodly cooling mods necessary to have two fully unlocked desktop 6970's in a laptop in crossfire. That would be just... that would just... it would... ack!

-Ash

• Thumbs Up 2

There is also rumor that RGB LED will make a comeback to M18x later on in the fall. If all of this turns out being true, I think it will be for M18x-R2 rather than the current revision.

I do hope so!!! Also I hope Dellienware will open a chanel (social survey?) to listen to the market and the consumers and finally decide to add, toghether with the RGB-LED (and or + IPS) a MATTE configuration option... OR they can (finally) use their 2 brain hemisferes to design and provide a so called "Snap-In/Snap-Out" Edge2Edge cover for the people that enjoy glossy (and the look of their own faces...). It will be a good bussines for them and a very good option for us.

Brian, Michael, StamatisX, Ashtefere and all the others: I'm new here. It has been a long time I wanted to join this forum but for working reasons haven't the time for it. Now, finally I'm here to learn from the posters. Congratulation Brian for all your efforts here!!!

• Founder
I do hope so!!! Also I hope Dellienware will open a chanel (social survey?) to listen to the market and the consumers and finally decide to add, toghether with the RGB-LED (and or + IPS) a MATTE configuration option... OR they can (finally) use their 2 brain hemisferes to design and provide a so called "Snap-In/Snap-Out" Edge2Edge cover for the people that enjoy glossy (and the look of their own faces...). It will be a good bussines for them and a very good option for us.

Brian, Michael, StamatisX, Ashtefere and all the others: I'm new here. It has been a long time I wanted to join this forum but for working reasons havent the time for it. Now, finally I'm here to learn from the posters. Congratulation Brian for all your efforts here!!!

Dell does have an ideas portal here where you can submit changes you want and it's voted on by the community. Popular ideas are sometimes put into products: IdeaStorm |

Welcome to T|I warp(d)alien and thanks!

Dell does have an ideas portal here where you can submit changes you want and it's voted on by the community. Popular ideas are sometimes put into products: IdeaStorm |

Welcome to T|I warp(d)alien and thanks!

Dear Brian, I know the mentioned portal. Many years ago I post there some 'ideas'. I even saw other very good ideas there... What I don't see is serious considerations / answers from Dellienware... They don't reveal a readiness to survey the ideas and publish their considerations or rejections fundaments. This kind of 'discusions' or elaborations on ideas or hypothesis is a must to break to closed circle where ideas are posted but the reactions to them are close to zero...

If they do really respect some of the ideas they can open a "lab" (even a virtual one) for prototipe those ideas (and experiment with some of them) with the participation of the posters /and or consumers... Many makers do so openly. Some universities (like Texas's Austin, or MIT, Haifa's Technion, etc.) offer many facilities for this purposes.

• Founder

Brian, Michael, StamatisX, Ashtefere and all the others: I'm new here. It has been a long time I wanted to join this forum but for working reasons haven't the time for it. Now, finally I'm here to learn from the posters. Congratulation Brian for all your efforts here!!!

We are glad you joined us Warp(d)Alien, welcome to T|I and we wish you many good posts