Temperature 3630qm vs 3632qm

ibebyi

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had swapped out the 3630qm in the Y500 for a 3632qm (lower TDP)? Also if anyone has indeed done this I was wondering what the turboboost frequency was for the 3632qm (all 4 cores). To clarify, the 3630qm, which is listed as 3.4ghz turbo, actually runs at 3.2ghz (all 4 cores) on the y500. Does the 3630qm run at 3.0ghz or 3.2ghz under load?

Since I'm asking this from a temperature standpoint... would just replacing the TIM on the 3630qm yield comparable results? (obviously I would have to reapply TIM if i swapped out the CPU)

3630qm and 3632qm have different tubro boost stepping:

- 3630qm has 8/8/9/10 with a base of 2,4GHz, which translates to 3,2GHz with 4 cores and 3,4GHz with 1 core active

- 3632qm has 7/7/9/10 with a base of 2,2GHz, which translates to 2,9GHz with 4 cores and 3,2GHz with 1 core active

n1smo and jester_socom have the i7-3632QM. You should ask them what their temperatures are. I've seen nismo's CPU temperatures and they are noticeably lower than mine. We both repasted. I used OCZ Freeze and he used Arctic Silver 5. I doubt you could get the 3630QM to run as cool as the 3632QM with just a simple repaste. The lower TDP of the 35 W chip is a result of clock speed and voltage reductions and those definitely have an effect on temperatures.