Frustrtating flickering in SLI with v-sync enabled

bonzobv

Whenever I enable v-sync in a game that utilizes SLI, it is rendered virtually unplayable due to this constant flicker. I clean installed the drivers I have (331.40) and Assassin's Creed III worked... once. Now it's all screwed up again. I set a framecap in MSI Afterburner on-screen display at 59 and then 58 and certain games, such as Mirror's Edge and Skyrim, are sort of fixed (menus still flicker and the environment will as well every now and then. This is frustrating because I've had all of these games work correctly on my computer before without a hint of this. Also, turning off v-sync stops this completely but looks atrocious due to tearing, and since it has worked in the past with v-sync, I don't understand why I should compromise it. I've also tried triple-buffering (evidently only works in open GL? Someone correct me?) but it does nothing.

I'm hoping someone has had this problem here and knows what to do.

Thank you in advance.

EDIT: If a mod could change my title to "Frustrating.....enabled" since I'm apparently so frustrated I cannot spell correctly :adoration:

I see this flickering in various places in certain games myself, FFXIV for example. The best thing to do is to enable "Adaptive" vysnc and play in Windowed(border-less if available) and that generally eliminates it completely. I have reported this to NVIDIA and they are aware of it happening on some setups at the very least. I will mention however that I never got the flickering on 326.80 but have been seeing it ever since, so it certainly appears to be a driver issue.

No need to get like that; I've done my searching. Just have noticed this since I updated the drivers and figured this was something specifically related to the 750M being a relatively new card. Hopefully nvidia will fix it soon-- I hate having to use the older drivers :/

Window mode doesn't cut it for me, is not the same fluidity in game. I prefer an older driver with V-Sync enabled and full screen than a newer on with window mode.

Anyway this is an issue with the SLI and Nvidia should fix it eventually (even though there are more than 6 months already for the 650M but hey better late than never).

Window mode doesn't cut it for me, is not the same fluidity in game. I prefer an older driver with V-Sync enabled and full screen than a newer on with window mode.

Anyway this is an issue with the SLI and Nvidia should fix it eventually (even though there are more than 6 months already for the 650M but hey better late than never).

Exactly. I'm already cutting it closely enough with this rig. Losing extra power for no reason sucks. Although, by the same token, the old drivers run slower. I hope they fix this soon!

Fullscreen borderless window looks and performs identically to fullscreen for me. Don't know what the deal with you guys is.

I doubt this will ever be completely fixed. Flickering in SLI is a common problem which has affected many games and system configurations for years (Google it if you don't believe me), and there are a variety of reported fixes. Part of the reason it's hard to pinpoint the root cause is that there are a number of different variables in play. Off the top of my head I can think of a number of possible sources in this particular case:

1. The game or game engine itself (for example Valve has already acknowledged there is an SLI flickering problem with Source Engine)
  2. Drivers
  3. The laptop screen and its refresh rate
  4. Uncommon SLI configuration in this laptop (the two GPU's communicate over PCIe instead of an SLI bridge)