y510p SSD suggestions

melegbalint

There's no limitation for real-life use.

SSD will outlast your computer, no reason to worry whatsoever.

You will replace it anyway in a few years since storage technology is rapidly evolving.

This doesn't mean it can't malfunction and die, but the same goes for every component in your system.

always back up your important data :)

On a personal note, I don't get why people buy cache disks. it's useless. Just buy a half decent SSD and replace the mechanical HDD that comes with your laptop.

Or get a hdd ultrabay from ebay (less than $10) and put your old HDD as secondary...

There's no limitation for real-life use.

SSD will outlast your computer, no reason to worry whatsoever.

You will replace it anyway in a few years since storage technology is rapidly evolving.

This doesn't mean it can't malfunction and die, but the same goes for every component in your system.

always back up your important data :)

On a personal note, I don't get why people buy cache disks. it's useless. Just buy a half decent SSD and replace the mechanical HDD that comes with your laptop.

Or get a hdd ultrabay from ebay (less than $10) and put your old HDD as secondary...

Thank you for the information. In my case I will not use it as a cache disk but as my primary HDD. I will put my OS and some software + some games on it. I know it can be used as a HDD as I did try to put a Linux distro on the 24GB one and it worked fine. In this case it will have Win 8.1 on it plus the rest. I could just replace the internal HDD, but than I would loose on storage as I cant effort to buy 1TB SSD HDD. If I use a second HDD in my laptop I loose the SLI capability. This way I should be able to have a 128GB SSD flash disk with OS + Software. 1TB internal HDD for data and SLI graphics in one laptop.

I see your case here.

But you have to consider that your new SSD will be much less efficient than dedicated large SSD (250GB+), it will be slower and after filling it up - performance will degrade considerably.

new NGFF ssds are not ready for prime time yet...

My advise is, only install OS on it, put everything else on the HDD , including page file and hibernation file etc.

disable all indexing and prefect/superfetch and disk write/read caching.

go with crucial or samsung. intel made some quality cards a while back, i don't know how they are now, but i still have the same ssd that i've transported across 4 different laptops and it still runs great. i put a samsung and crucial in my familys' laptops and all are great too

My 2 Cents, if you are going to put an SSD do more than 120, otherwise there will be no room for anything in your PC. If money is not a problem then get a 1 TB SSD, and forget about everything.

Regardless of which type of storage and size you chose, you may want to review the settings on your OS and make sure it is aware that you installed an SSD. Tweak and adjust to your preference and enjoy.

For the msata drives, they are still a bit young. I'd wait a bit before getting one.

i currently running kingston ssd v+ 120gb but i'll move to samsung evo 840 1tb; it has basically best value (capacity and speed) for money,

with usb kit, it costs around $550 in amazon (i moved previous hdd to external and did part copy with Macrium reflect, which is free)