y510p SSD suggestions

melegbalint

HI!

I would like to replace my HDD to a 128/256GB SSD and use hdd as external storage, I found Samsung 840 Evo 120/250gb ssd. What do you think? Can you suggest me a good ssd for windows and some games like BF3/4 league of legends etc. Plus I need a hdd to usb adapter (USB 3.0)

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english

The EVO's pretty much the ~best SSD on the market now.

Some kits come with an adapter. You can find one here on Amazon

I don't know why you want to use one as an external HDD. Well, I have in the past for various reasons... so I shouldn't say that. But, if possible I'd highly recommend using one as your internal drive as it's significantly faster and using a HDD as your external drive. The SSD will be limited a lot by USB 3. The HDD won't as much if at all.

He said he want to replace the internal HDD with an SSD, and keep the HDD for external storage. ;)

Maybe you can consider buying an M.2 SSD? The y510p has such a port (not all models though), but then you can use your SSD for your OS and keep the HDD for your games/data. I think this is a more practical solution since you always have the 2 'drives' in your laptop

He said he want to replace the internal HDD with an SSD, and keep the HDD for external storage. ;)

Maybe you can consider buying an M.2 SSD? The y510p has such a port (not all models though), but then you can use your SSD for your OS and keep the HDD for your games/data. I think this is a more practical solution since you always have the 2 'drives' in your laptop

You are right, but there is no M.2 SSD available on the market yet, if I'm right. :D

• 2 weeks later...
You are right, but there is no M.2 SSD available on the market yet, if I'm right. :D

Many SSD manufacturers have their own versions of M.2 such as Adata, Plextor, Toshiba and others... Samsung was reported to incredible performance of 1200 MB/s read and 1000 MB/s write!!

So take some time, ponder and buy a small and fast M.2 :43_002:

I have the 128 ngff ssd m.2 42mm and have it installed. I own the IdeaPad Y510p Laptop - 59370008 and was ordered without a internal ssd cache drive and mine did have the empty slot. The BIOS recognizes the drive and you can tell it to boot from it. Problem is no matter what you do it will not boot from Windows 8 nor is it recognized by any of my boot disk's like Acronis, Paragon and others.

No boot disk other than my MDT boot disk I use to install win 7 enterprise on our work laptops at work which is what I did for testing purposes and it works excellent. I can install Windows 7 and it will boot and be detected perfectly. I played for hours doing random things like upgrading to Windows 8 from a upgrade copy and other things. This computer does not like to boot from Win 8 on that m.2 SSD. Windows won't see it at all under Windows 8 so I can even use it as a cache drive or anything. I was hoping for some answers on here : )

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Y410p boots from that 128GB m.2/NGFF found on Amazon. I'm not quite sure what I did to make Windows recognize it, but I'm pretty sure it involved booting Windows in Legacy mode (which was a fight on it's own, had to use WinRE to get that working) and initialize the drive as GPT from there. I then cloned my old drive onto the m.2 and now it boots in UEFI mode to that drive.

As I think, that the main job with ssd is to speed up, not to store, I use both ssd samsung 128 gb just for system and progs, and the old 1TB hdd as files storage (I got 510p with no second gpu to have a spare slot for ssd).

I have the 128 ngff ssd m.2 42mm and have it installed. I own the IdeaPad Y510p Laptop - 59370008 and was ordered without a internal ssd cache drive and mine did have the empty slot. The BIOS recognizes the drive and you can tell it to boot from it. Problem is no matter what you do it will not boot from Windows 8 nor is it recognized by any of my boot disk's like Acronis, Paragon and others.

No boot disk other than my MDT boot disk I use to install win 7 enterprise on our work laptops at work which is what I did for testing purposes and it works excellent. I can install Windows 7 and it will boot and be detected perfectly. I played for hours doing random things like upgrading to Windows 8 from a upgrade copy and other things. This computer does not like to boot from Win 8 on that m.2 SSD. Windows won't see it at all under Windows 8 so I can even use it as a cache drive or anything. I was hoping for some answers on here : )

What transfer speedrates do you get with the m.2 ssd?

I consider buying it or wait for intel's 1500 series.

I'm running the 840 evo 750gb ssd in mine. It runs like a champ. I had initially picked up the 250gb model and realized it did not have nearly enough space for everything I needed.

I also picked up an external usb3 enclosure to use with the internal drive/cloning. (Samsung's migration utility is pretty solid)

Just be careful when picking out your external enclosure if you don't already have one as while they might market as usb3 compatible, it doesn't mean they will be able to achieve usb3 speeds.

Go with the samsung. I did the upgrade on mine and the loading is extremely fast! you will love it. They also have the evo pro, which is suppose to increase the battery life, also has a quicker reading and writing speeds

• 2 weeks later...

either the 840 evo or the sandisk extreme II

Don't get anything less than 240GB, they are much slower.

always opt for the 500GB/480GB or higher, especially if you're replacing the HDD.

look for deals on amazon,newegg and slickdeals/fatwallet.

Best price for the samsung 840 evo 250gb is $140 .

Sandisk Extreme II 480GB $280

good resources-

SSD Deals and Discounts

Solid State Drives (SSD) Deals | SlickdealsCheap SSD Deals and Discount SSD Sales - February 2014

Cheap SSDs, Solid State Drives Best Deals | Dealzon.com

Hello guys, I just purchased 128GB MyDigitalSSD Super Cache 2 SATA III (6G) M.2 NGFF SSD today to replace the smaller M.2 SSD in mine y510p. My noob question is, do M.2 SSD suffer with the same limitation of writes as SSD HDD?