anyone upgrade the screen on a y510p

PhlegmaticHero

Almost got my y510p through xoticPC and they have an option to upgrade the screen to a 95% gammut screen for +$165. Wondering if anyone has done this, and how difficult it would be to upgrade the screen myself, where I would find one etc.

I wish you could replace the glossy bezel with a matte one as well, that's the one thing I don't like about it.

I wish you could replace the glossy bezel with a matte one as well, that's the one thing I don't like about it.

Strange. My bezel is matte, not glossy. It's one of the reasons that I bought it. Love me some matte screens.

You're saying the the edges AROUND the LCD are MATTE and not glossy? I have 2 friends that have these and they are all glossy, I also called lenovo and they said they all have glossy edges.

Oh god. I was up WAY too late. Didn't mean the bezel. Meant the screen /facepalm

• 5 months later...

That's exactly my wish too. The bezel is horrible, makes the whole thing look cheap.

As for the screen, I doubt it would be an easy upgrade.

Almost got my y510p through xoticPC and they have an option to upgrade the screen to a 95% gammut screen for +$165. Wondering if anyone has done this, and how difficult it would be to upgrade the screen myself, where I would find one etc.

If you're interested on replacing the screen on a Y510p, you might want to check out this video: Laptop screen replacement /How to replace laptop screen Lenovo Ideapad Y500 - YouTube It describes the process of getting the screen replaced.

Does anyone know what kind of screens are compatible? (upgrading from 720p). Or if a different lcd ribbon cable is needed. I tried to replace the 720p screen with a 1080p screen from an old y500 and nothing showed up. Though, it's always possible that the 1080p screen i have is broken or something.

I have not personally dont this but my friend bought a y580p with a similar upgrade for about $200

There is definetly a better difference than the glossy screen on the yseries notebooks. I personally dont have a problem with it but i can definetly see inprovements with the different screen

I wouldn't say that $165 is worth it but thats my own opinion

• 4 months later...