any one can try 780m in dell m 6600?

hello everyone!

i realy in need of this info (time for buying new card quadro 3000m not that good)

like mounth back i have 780m in my hands and tryed to instal it in my machine.

but it ended with " intel management and security application error 207 - aborting"

and later in windows i have STOP 0x0000005c

however we know that 680m works fine in dell m 6600 and guy from some forum reported 780m in m 6700..

just wanna be sure that 780m 100% not a go in my config. becouse 680/780 price a pretty equal:(

• 1 month later...

hello kotek thanks for reply!

i trade my 780m with 680m clevo 4 gb..

intel management problem gone, but i still cant boot in windows:

i have a black screen and start up and classpnp.sys stop with safe mode//

already tryied bios resset and removing cmos battery

also old nvidia driver was uninstalled prior to card install..

will try to test card in another laptop.... but probably i need to install drivers prior hardware...((

Try to disable windows automatic update and windows automatic install of drivers, remove video card drivers, boot in safe mode, run a cc cleaner to make sure drivers are not installed. Boot normally into windows with the videocard that work to check that drivers are not installed and that they do not install, then disable integrated sound from bios and try the gtx 780m in windows safe mode. If THAT does not work, I don't know what else you can try.... a vbios flash maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try to disable windows automatic update and windows automatic install of drivers, remove video card drivers, boot in safe mode, run a cc cleaner to make sure drivers are not installed. Boot normally into windows with the videocard that work to check that drivers are not installed and that they do not install, then disable integrated sound from bios and try the gtx 780m in windows safe mode. If THAT does not work, I don't know what else you can try.... a vbios flash maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i am with 680m now=/

i dont use automatic updates and i deleted old drivers. and still cant loasd in safe mode

probably i need v29 bios instead of v67

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
i am with 680m now=/

i dont use automatic updates and i deleted old drivers. and still cant loasd in safe mode

probably i need v29 bios instead of v67

Hi, I am planning to upgrade my m6600 with gtx680m or gtx780m.

Your experience with 680m would help me alot.

Does it work well flawlessly? All the parts (hdmi, mini DP, RGB) are working?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I'm getting mine in the next 2 weeks, MSI 780m 4GB.

Already prepared the modded vbios from svl7 .. im sure it will work fine on m6600 since my previous card (or currently installed) : the gtx 675m/580m work so well in this machine (all cables and ports like hdmi dvi vga dp working with or w/o optimus). It also detected as unknown card like the OP posted in first page.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm getting mine in the next 2 weeks, MSI 780m 4GB.

Already prepared the modded vbios from svl7 .. im sure it will work fine on m6600 since my previous card (or currently installed) : the gtx 675m/580m work so well in this machine (all cables and ports like hdmi dvi vga dp working with or w/o optimus). It also detected as unknown card like the OP posted in first page.

Report : they just delivered my 780m > 6 hours ago

After alot of experiment and failed .. i confirm m6600 does not work with GTX 780m.

In Bios, the card showed as Unknown card with 4GB RAM. Both CPU and GPU fan working. Optimus working but still won't get pass windows loading.

Tried on different HDD/SSD (different version of windows windows 7 windows 8...)

Tried putting OS DVD into drive to enter setup screen of windows 7 > freeze when finished loading resource.

Tried to reinstall the card .. same thing.

Tried Flash modded Vbios for 780m, successed. Reboot, saw johnksss and svl7 welcome screen in boot screen. Booting into windows with same error message like OP.

Tried all the common stuff : load default bios setting, reset bios, remove bios battery, powerdrain ...etc. same thing.

.. i'm sure the card working fine on other system like alienware. It passed all the test in bios (thorough test not normal one).

edit : Btw i'm using system Bios A13, i was thinking "is there a chance it's won't work because of the sbios version ?"

i just noticed A15 they added, this give me some hope .. maybe i'll try again later.

Enhancements

- Updated thermal table.

- Updated Intel CPU micro code.

- Enhanced BIOS Security.

- Supported Graphic card M6100.

can any1 success on their gtx 680m confirm working on system bios A13 too ?

note : Firepro M6100 is released in 01.10.2013,

compare to GTX 680m released in 04.06.2012 / GTX 780m released in 30.05.2013

update : confirm won't work on A15... bleh

Last update :

Tried and failed on m17x r3 - 120hz (red screen freeze, sometime blue or gray)

Successed on m17x r4... So i'm gonna buy a new laptop just for this card.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

probably m 780 not good card... Aw users have a lot of problems installing it too. but they have workaround with unlocked bios.

as for my experiment:

i ended with clevo 680m 4gb

if i recall correctly it has v29 bios from this site.

as for pads i use 2 different thickness.. cant recall with one^(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

can any1 success on their gtx 680m confirm working on system bios A13 too ?

note : Firepro M6100 is released in 01.10.2013,

compare to GTX 680m released in 04.06.2012 / GTX 780m released in 30.05.2013

update : confirm won't work on A15... bleh

Last update :

Tried and failed on m17x r3 - 120hz (red screen freeze, sometime blue or gray)

Successed on m17x r4... So i'm gonna buy a new laptop just for this card.

yah, i have a Dell 6600 precision too however bios A09 to A15 all say "unknown" videocard - amount of gpu memory is displayed OK

Is there not an custom driver solution?

• 5 months later...

Im having the same problem on a del precision m4600

I took out the quadro 2000m video card and put in a quadro k2100m

get the intel management security error 207 and the stop error 5c in windows

I even get the 5c error when booting off of usb

the card I came from came from a hp - my bios detects the memory size correctly but it shows as an unknown card

I would be grateful for any assistance

thanks

• 6 months later...

If anoyne reads this thread: I was succesful with upgrading M6700's GPU to GTX880m and it is working despite I had the 'unknown video card' message in BIOS. The thing is you need to get it done in a certain order (enabling/disabling GPS in BIOS, installing the OS, going through driver updates and modding the drivers for your case). Right now I can confirm that the 880m works good, including HDMI, DP (haven't tested VGA, but hey - who need it today, right?). The only problems that I ran into are heavy GPU loads which sometimes result in freezes or driver failure, but I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of having a proper PSU (mine is too small for the laptop).

I might be a little off-topic, but from what I've read here, the issues I had with mine M6700 and the 880m were similar to those described.