Practice Routers

Zyphant

Configuring them, wiring them up together. I could always just get the cisco program, but there is something about hands-on that appeals to me. Maybe even put them to some use and jsut mess around with them. Doesn't have to be anything special.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

TP-Link Routers with DD-WRT.

They're easy to flash and DD-WRT has tons of options. (DMZ, Port Forwarding, VLAN, VPN, SSH, WLAN Captive Portal support - just to name a few)

On the other hand if you don't need real hardware you can simulate networks with Cisco Packet Tracer or GNS3.

With GNS3 you can simulate nearly every aspect of (Cisco) networks. If you spin up a Virtualbox VM you can route this guest through GNS3 simulated devices, thus making the options endless. From that point you can go further and simulate an ASA or Juniper Appliance with GNS3 and learn security and firewall background.

• 2 months later...

The OP is probably long gone from monitoring this but for the benefit of others who may come across this. While the software simulators are pretty good in getting you the feel of working on an actual router, I subscribe to the need to get actual hands on with a physical device. There are many things which you don't get a feel for with a simulator and the simulator doesn't capture everything you may want to mock up. This is the reason why many networking professionals don't just use simulators. All my fellow networking acquintances don't use simulators but actual physical hardware in their lab setups including me. If you want to get an economical system put together, you can get a Cisco 2500 or 2600 series router. These can be had for pretty cheap from eBay or from a company like Curvature (formerly Network Hardware Resale). From a Cisco router stand point, I have two 1841, one 1861, and a 2611XM router(s) among other equipment.

• 9 months later...

In school we have the Cisco course, we use Packet Tracer to simulate the network. What we do is setup the router by command line. If this is what you want you'll have to take a look into business routers and not into home routers, as many home routers don't even have access to SSH or console port. Check Cisco, I highly recommend these routers as in school we also use them and never had problems ( Only the ones I created myself ).

• 3 weeks later...
Do you mean simple GUI based routers or Cisco routers ?

--

If you want to learn Cisco routers and CLI, you should try Packet Tracer, its best for beginners.

Packet tracer really is the best place for practicing the basics.

If you work in the field push your employer to get a few extra routers to practice on under the guise of 'configuration testbed.' =)

• 8 months later...

It's not necessary to purchase practice routers. Download GNS3 and then download some Cisco IOS profiles and you can build a free virtual network with free virtual routers to practice on that are just like the real think. There are some good labs at GNS3 vault. It's a very cool virtual networking tool. Build your own fake lab network become a CCNA.