y510p empty "SSD" slot

detonator_x

Bottom-right correct? That would be for the M.2 SSD. Is there an actual slot, or is it just bare PCB with the words SSD printed on it? Because if it's the latter then you were unlucky enough to buy a non-SSD model of the Y510p which doesn't even have the M.2 slot soldered onto the motherboard, so it's impossible to upgrade in the future.

Bottom-right correct? That would be for the M.2 SSD. Is there an actual slot, or is it just bare PCB with the words SSD printed on it? Because if it's the latter then you were unlucky enough to buy a non-SSD model of the Y510p which doesn't even have the M.2 slot soldered onto the motherboard, so it's impossible to upgrade in the future.

Well... it's not impossible

Well... it's not impossible

Many customers from Europe and America have reported a problem (especially those who bought from Neweeg) :

there is only place for SSD (M.2 NGFF) but DOES NOT HAVE CONNECTOR on the motherboard!!!

So open your computer and check if connector is there:80:

Many customers from Europe and America have reported a problem (especially those who bought from Neweeg) :

there is only place for SSD (M.2 NGFF) but DOES NOT HAVE CONNECTOR on the motherboard!!!

Oh, I just meant that you could solder one on if you really wanted to haha!

My Y510P has the 24GB SSD. Is this the M.2 SSD?

I am considering trying to get a 128GB or 256GB SSD and throwing it in there, and moving the OS over there. That, or make it basically an app ssd drive (Steam, etc...).

Any links for compatible drives?

My Y510P has the 24GB SSD. Is this the M.2 SSD?

I am considering trying to get a 128GB or 256GB SSD and throwing it in there, and moving the OS over there. That, or make it basically an app ssd drive (Steam, etc...).

Any links for compatible drives?

Yes that is the M.2 SSD.

You can get a 2.5" SSD. You won't find any M.2 drives in that capacity since they aren't available yet, and definitely not 200+ GB ones, since the 42 mm board tops out at around 128GB. Higher capacity would require 60 mm, 80 mm, and 110 mm boards which won't fit in the Y510p.

I find it ridiculous that Lenovo doesn't even add the connector on the laptops that don't come with the 24G SSD. How much could they save per laptop? 10 cents?

I found the same thing on mine and wasn't happy :(

Looks like a PITA to solder the connector in too. Possible, but a giant pain. Next time they might as well write "hahaha, jokes on you" instead of "SSD" if they aren't even going to put the connector in.

I had the same idea but its not even worth it, the new ssd style only goes upto 60 gb and i couldnt even find it for sale, all i found was youtube videos on how companies are developing it as a fast cache option. I would be nice if someone could figure out a way to get the unused sata port in the ultra bay that isnt used while an sli card is installed, maybe some kind of slim ribbon cable?

I searched and searched for an NGFF SSD for this machine and came out with nothing. I ended up buying a Samsung EVO 840 and installing it in the 2.5'' main HD slot and I ordered an Ultrabay HD caddy from a third party for about 15 bucks and installed my 1TB drive there. Plus, my machine came with the 24gb ssd as a cache drive so things are zipping along nicely.

if someone disassembled the y510p, and managed to surface mount the M.2 connector (which I haven't been able to find anywhere except maybe some salvageable parts on an M.2 adapter) they'd still need a solution for securing the drive, I don't recall if I saw a screw hole for the M.2 card securing mechanism (sometimes clips can be used instead in my experience. I would be confident doing surface mount soldering, but not random drilling on such an expensive PCB lol, especially if something important was on the other side (there shouldn't be right?).

I wouldn't want the ssd wiggling loose whilst connected.

On a lighter note, the HDD they include is a hybrid drive (SSHD?) which can be "spanned" in disk management under windows, or that "ready boost" feature it uses. Or you could make a fusion drive is you're running OS X.

I personally replaced mine with an OCZ vertex 450 :) it's only 256GB, so I'm really missing the space the original drive gave, but my windows "experience" went from 5.6 up to 7.6 if I remember correctly. Really wouldn't mind having that M.2 SSD, and a 2nd HDD caddy to hot swap with the SLI card.

From the picture I found it seems the securing screw is there in both versions. If you really want it it's quite easy to solder if you have the proper tools. If not, I'm sure any electronics shop or service should do it for cheap. I do not know whether it's hard to get this connector though.

post-15132-14494996393599_thumb.jpg

I bought my Y510P from Newegg last week, opened it up, and it just has a blank solder pads where the ngff connector should be. WTF?! Has anyone complained to Newegg about this? I'm wondering if they've done anything to make it up to their disappointed customers?

Well good luck with that, you go first. :Banane34:

Just in case anyone here thinks that they want to solder an NGFF connector to their motherboard...... most modern day integrated circuit parts don't get soldered to a board, they get "re-flowed". This is a process where solder past is applied to the metal pads on the circuit board, the piece parts gets set on top of the solder paste, and then the boards get sent through a precisely controlled thermal oven for a precisely controlled period of time (on a conveyor belt). The solder paste melts and the solder connection is made between the metal pad of the circuit board and the metal lead of the piece part.

With that said, even if you are an expert at soldering with an soldering iron, you probably would not be able to solder a connector like this by hand, because half of the solder leads would be blocked from your access because it's not a pin-through-hole connector. The leads come off the side of the part, which is flush with the board.

Also, even if you could access the pins, and if you are an expert solderer, the most likely outcome of trying to solder a connector like this by hand is that you either overheat the trace in the board and fry it (release the magic smoke), or you overheat an I/O pin of the chip that connects to the connector (again, releasing the magic smoke).

So, if anyone has been brave enough to actually hand solder this piece, or hit it with local hot air, or duck tape it, and it worked. I'd be interested to know. Instead, I think I'll just buy the biggest SSD drive I can afford instead of buying the $2M reflow oven :)

mrclassy have you ever wondered what is the real purpose of this re-flowing machine? It's to speed up the process of assembly. They are still SMD devices. I have soldered such ports and SMD chips at my university of technology with ease... The biggest problem I ever encountered was when I soldered one small chip crooked and two legs touched the same pad. Removing SMD from PCB is a royal pain. Soldering them is easier than you think. Proper tools and a steady hand and you're good to go.

EDIT:

Ah yeah, almost forgot. Re-flowing is still a type of soldering.

@mrclassy I don't want to split hairs but the SSHD they provide does technically have the 24GB "SSD" it's just integrated in the same package as the HD. they actually listed mine as having 8GB, which I thought was wrong, thankfully it's the full 24. So technically it's all there... I still would like the option to add the real M.2 SSD though. If I can find a connector, the reflow isn't difficult, I do it all the time with my heat gun and multimeter (has temp sensor). A little solder paste and were good to go! After partial reassembly, testing, potential reseating, etc. still could be worth the work. If I could only find the friggin connector! The One part I can't just buy from china online.... Wow isn't that a first.

@mrclassy I don't want to split hairs but the SSHD they provide does technically have the 24GB "SSD" it's just integrated in the same package as the HD. they actually listed mine as having 8GB, which I thought was wrong, thankfully it's the full 24. So technically it's all there... I still would like the option to add the real M.2 SSD though. If I can find a connector, the reflow isn't difficult, I do it all the time with my heat gun and multimeter (has temp sensor). A little solder paste and were good to go! After partial reassembly, testing, potential reseating, etc. still could be worth the work. If I could only find the friggin connector! The One part I can't just buy from china online.... Wow isn't that a first.

How do you know your SSHD has a 24GB instead of 8GB cache? It's invisible to the user and you can't see it in Windows. Anyway, there isn't even a hybrid drive with 24GB of SSD cache on the market right now. The only one with that much is the Western Digital Black SSHD which hasn't been released yet. The only hybrid drive Lenovo sources for this laptop is the Seagate SSHD 1TB with 8GB SSD cache. I think you're confusing a partition on the HDD for the SSD cache.