Hate my Y510p

jrbaytown

Question

So I have a Y510p and it was a warranty replacement for my Y580 which had major issues. Lenovo replaced the Y580 with the Y510p and while it is an ok laptop, certain things about it drive me crazy and I'm ready for a new one.

Other than Lenovo, Sony or Asus, what is a notebook around the $1000 - $1200 range that will be comparable to the specs of the Y510p, but allow me to change internal components without hacking the BIOS. My biggest problem is with the Intel 2230 and I'd seriously get rid of a notebook over the wifi card. But I just don't like the laptop overall. Not to mention Lenovo tech support and the Lenovo website have got to be the worst.

The Y510p specs are:

Core i7-4700MQ

GeForce GT 750M

8 GB DDR III

24 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD

Blu-ray RW-drive

Full HD matte display

Intel 2230 Wireless N

I think you would be better off building a laptop from the beginning so that it fits all of your needs. I would recommend going to xoticpcs.com and then assembling your computer to your specifications, that way you won't have to make hacky modifications. Fully built laptops from lenovo, dell, and samsung won't be built to order and won't really support customization so I recommend that you build your next one from the ground up. It really lets you choose the price and config. Just don't get caught up buying all the things you really don't need

Any particular thing you hate? I just bought one and have a few things I'm not a fan of so far.

The biggest gripe for me is the lack of a HDD light - because we really need 5 lights on the front for things, but nothing for the status of the drive.

I had no idea about the locked down bios until doing some searching and I must say it is pretty bad. I have an older tablet pc that locked down the wifi card as well, but thankfully the bios was easy enough to flash for new models.

The Toshiba S70-AST3GX1 Laptop has a Core I7 4700-MQ and 2 GB GT 740m Graphics for $1020

The Samsung ATIV Book 6 has an I7 3635QM and Radeon HD 8770M Graphics for $1200

The HP ENVY 15-j059nr Quad Edition Notebook PC has a Core I7 4700-MQ and 2 GB GT 740m Graphics for $1080

Thats pretty much all you can get in that price range. If you want better Graphics Card, than you'd have to wait for a deal or spend a bit more money.

jrbaytown: you've probably tossed your Y510p asunder by now, but what alternatives would you really want? Lenovo makes some pretty killer hardware for the price. On the Y5xx series in general, the wireless cards should be the least concerning. . .

I had a mid range every day lenovo and i loved it, did great at what it was supposed to do. Now i have an asus g75vw and obviously it blow the lenovo out of the water but what I really like about asus over lenovo is build quality. The g75 is so solid and my lenovo would bed when you opened it and just didnt have the same quality.

I'm assuming you want the laptop for gaming purposes. if so, I recommend the Sager NP8265 (Clevo P150SM). I own the Sager NP8230 (Clevo P151SM1) myself only because the NP8265 had a delayed release. It's a little bulky and loud, but for the price, I don't think there's a better 15-inch laptop in terms of specs.

Hope I am not to late to the party but have you looked at Eurocom laptops? They have a 10% off deal which i think is still going on. Eurocom Corporation - Number 1 in Desktop Replacement Notebook Technology make sure you change the currency to USD before you start to cusomize the laptop as once you change the currency it completely resets your build. EUROCOM-GLJ-RA2-131215 (10% off code)

i have this (y510p) too, and i have to admit this laptop bios and wifi was sucks. although the performance was superb. maybe you should look at MSI or Gigabyte laptops, those brands offer better interchangeability for their gaming laptop line.

The lenovo 510p is probably one of the best deals out there for a laptop. I don't know what your problem is, but you can easily upgrade the wifi card. There are just a few screws under the laptop and you're good to go. With all the money you saved by buying this machine you could buy a wireless ac card such as the 7260. You have a backlit keyboard, available drivers, solidly built machine, Hard drive bay with ability to put in a big ssd, or caching ssd.

The lenovo 510p is probably one of the best deals out there for a laptop. I don't know what your problem is, but you can easily upgrade the wifi card. There are just a few screws under the laptop and you're good to go. With all the money you saved by buying this machine you could buy a wireless ac card such as the 7260. You have a backlit keyboard, available drivers, solidly built machine, Hard drive bay with ability to put in a big ssd, or caching ssd.

Bios is locked so it wont allow you to change it unless you flash a modified bios to it..

But its doesnt look that hard.. I just got a y510p and first time im gonna try custom bios and its only as you other guys say because of the wifi card.. Its soooooooooooooooooooooo bad..

Arent you judging this too soon. I have lenovo y510p and except wifi card I havent had any other issues. Well, the battery could be better, but I dont realy carry this pc around, just play with it at home.

Also, there is a possibility to mod bios and change wifi card, so that problem ccan be solved too.

I've got a P150SM, and it has a killer N-1202, and I've had a lot of driver related issues, which customer support couldn't fix either. (combined with a Razer Orochi)

It's not just sunshine on the other side. I'm just saying other laptops can/do also have issues.

I had a Y580 that went bad too... mine lasted through 2 years of extremely intensive usage though. I looked at the Y510p for a little bit but ended up getting a Sager NP8268S (Clevo P150SM-A) because of part replaceability and the overheating issues that many have had with their Y510p's. I mostly like mine; the reseller sent me the wrong screen without notifying me (the B+RG LED screen I paid $30 extra for was discontinued), but other than that I haven't had any issues. I'd recommend the P150SM-A... beware it's fairly beefy; if you want something thinner get an MSI GS60.

Just got a y510p and the BIOS white listing is a pain. The wifi card sucks but the gaming performance is good. Coming off of a Dell which lasted 7+ years and is still in use as a internet terminal, i have pretty high expectations for it.