Y500 650M SLI Stuttering

Algorithm

Hello,

Has anyone had any luck with the Y500 and eliminating stuttering completely? I feel like it is mainly a driver support issue from Nvidia. The 327.23 are the closest to obtaining the best performance on this laptop yet. However, even with vsync on, there is a bunch of flickering and horizontal tearing in games, but no stuttering... It seems like there is always a trade off. Is there a tweak (possibly in BIOS) that can resolve the stuttering issues? It seems like the GPU usage drops on both cards when stuttering becomes more apparent. I have the dual core version of this laptop, the i5-3230m as well. Would this be an example of a CPU bottleneck, if so, how can I confirm this?

Edit: I also recently overclocked my laptop's GPU's and have noticed a significant improvement but not elimination.

Hello,

Has anyone had any luck with the Y500 and eliminating stuttering completely? I feel like it is mainly a driver support issue from Nvidia. The 327.23 are the closest to obtaining the best performance on this laptop yet. However, even with vsync on, there is a bunch of flickering and horizontal tearing in games, but no stuttering... It seems like there is always a trade off. Is there a tweak (possibly in BIOS) that can resolve the stuttering issues? It seems like the GPU usage drops on both cards when stuttering becomes more apparent. I have the dual core version of this laptop, the i5-3230m as well. Would this be an example of a CPU bottleneck, if so, how can I confirm this?

Edit: I also recently overclocked my laptop's GPU's and have noticed a significant improvement but not elimination.

What fps are you getting, and on what games, when the tearing occurs? It took me a while to tweak the SLi graphics to get them to work well. I was testing it out on bioshock infinite, and immediately found I was getting crazy amounts of screen tearing, especially when rotating the camera in game. Turns out it was pretty much due to the fps being way too high (like 110 fps), which is almost twice the refresh rate of most monitors. Thus, you get screen tearing. Fixed it by fiddling around with the game's framerate limiter (v-sync) option and the nvidia control panel v-sync options to lock it down to 60fps and get rid of the tearing.

I usually always have vsync enabled. Even with a frame rate limiter like with MSI afterburner, tearing is still quite apparent with the SLI setup. If my fps drops to like 40, the stuttering happens more I suppose. I've been to the nvidia forums multiple times and found little to no support from them, and the drivers seem to be getting worse for the 650m SLI. Maybe it has to do with the refresh rate of the screen, the native refresh rate is like 59.something Hz. Or must just be the double edged sword that comes with mobile SLI's

That will definitely help it out. That's what i did when I first ran up bioshock in SLI, and found that I was getting ridiculous screen tearing in regular fullscreen mode. Windowed mode got rid of it, but after running fraps to see what was going on, it seemed that the big cure was in a reduction of overall performance/framerate compared to fullscreen (as in barely keeping to 30 fps on ultra settings vs. over 100 in fullscreen). In such cases, I think it's better to turn off vsync in the game, and use the vsync (adaptive mode) in nvidia control panel instead, combined with triple buffering.

I believe there is a thread around here discussing screen overclocking using EVGA Pixel tool.

I've used the tool myself to overclock the refresh rate of my Y500 to a stable 100Hz, though you can push it a bit higher. Too much will lead to noticeable artifacting and flickering. It's quite a respectable bump and may be worth looking into to relieve some stuttering, or even to force your LCD to be a perfect 60 rather than 59.xxx.

• 5 months later...

I've always had minor micro-stuttering in my games whenever the frame rate goes below 40-45 FPS. This is the main problem with running an SLI configuration with the SLI mode set to Alternate Frame Rendering (AFR). If anyone has managed to get no stuttering or very minimal and unnoticeable stuttering, it would be nice if they posted their fix here.

• 3 weeks later...

I have micro-stuttering problems with my sli setup but it depends what game I'm using. A big factor is framerate. In BF4 if I go below 40fps it starts to stutter so I try to turn down settings and keep my frames up. Once I'm at higher frames I get some tearing but the stuttering isn't so bad.