iMac mid 2011 upgrade + eGPU

penname

Hi guys.

I've posted the description of my problem to "egpu experiences 2.0" thread, but i think it's a better idea to start a new thread.

I didnt manage to find any information about possibility of creating egpu system for iMac mid 2011.

So the first - and the main question - is it possible? If not, just tell me and dont read this crap. (too many words i suggest)

But i hope it is possible because i want to upgrade my imac 27 mid 2011.

I'm thinking about:

1) changing my HDD (the apple pays for the party, thanks to imac seagate hard drive replacement program),

2) installing SSD,

3) upgrading ram (up to 16g),

4)That is the most difficult part - creating eGPU system.

The first 3 points are pretty simple or easy to-do, following the instructions, but when we speak about eGPU... it's very complicated for me.

After reading manuals and posts i understand that i have 5 very imprortant questions. And without answers for these questions i'm afraid of starting the huge project like this (yeah, it's huge for me, i'm not an engineer, just a beginner screenwriter).

Question #1.

Imac doesn't have a pci-e slot, but it posses thunderbolt. So i need sonnet echo device. This is really not a problem, but as i have read, this device reduces the speed of Thunderbolt connection form 10 gbit/s to 5? Is that true? And - if it is - how bad is this reducing? Will i recieve significent improvment in performance if i change my dGpu amd 6970m 1gb to nvidia 760 4gb,but connected via thunderbolt?

Question #2.

Of course i want to play games on native 27" imac's display without connecting other displays. Is it possible without heavy losses in performance?

Question #3

It is about scary "error 12". I tried to figure out my imac's tolud to understand is it possible or not to install egpu without all this reallocating thing. (as i have mentioned i will do RAM upgrade, could this parameter change due to ram upgrading?) Anyway, i did everything like it was described in faq, but i don't have any entry with eight dights.

419780_memory.jpg

Question #4

Is about selecting appropriate GPU. What can you recommend?

Question #5

Did i forget to mention something crucial about eGpu installing?.. Maybe it is better to upgrade ram/hdd/sdd first and then begin building egpu? Or maybe someone has a complete recipe for my case?

I really need your help, guys.

Thanks.

p.s I am ready to spend about 500 bucks for the egpu upgrade (without cost of a gpu itself)

p.p.s sorry for my awful english. I'm attaching AIDA report to this message.

Report.txt

You have a "AMD Radeon HD 6970M (Apple)" dGPU. As there is no iGPU you can't use NVidia Optimus or Lucid Logix Virtu to be able to render a image using the eGPU and display it to the internal LCD. Best you could do is connected a second LCD to the output ports on the eGPU video card's LCD ports. So negative is you'd be running 2 LCDs, positive of that is that all pci-e bandwidth would be for video graphics processing.

An eGPU would be possible but I'd recommend you evaluate the costs involved (Thunderbolt-to-pcie adapter) to see if it's worth it even before you consider the technical challenge to get it going. I'd recommend you consider a 15" HP 4530s as a iMac replacement instead. It can have the LCD self-upgraded to 1080P, has extensive Hackintosh support and best of all, has iGPU an expresscard slot making NVidia eGPU implementation inexpensive and easy. Alternatively consider a 12" HP 2570P, the most powerful tiny machine that can function as a full desktop replacement in upgraded i7-quad form. It too have an expresscard slot.

Both 2570P and 4530s are available for low prices on ebay.

Thanks, Nando!...

The whole trick was in juicing up my imac without additional displays. Counting all costs i think it is a better idea to assemble a new gaming pc and install it in the another room. The easiest and cheapiest way i think.

I've already have 700w thermaltake power supply, an old but unused ssd 64, and an old-good midi-tower... so.

I'm gonna leave my imac for work.

Thanks again!..

Thanks, Nando!...

The whole trick was in juicing up my imac without additional displays. Counting all costs i think it is a better idea to assemble a new gaming pc and install it in the another room. The easiest and cheapiest way i think.

I've already have 700w thermaltake power supply, an old but unused ssd 64, and an old-good midi-tower... so.

I'm gonna leave my imac for work.

Thanks again!..

I agree, a gaming PC is a better value/performance proposition in your situation.