Order cancelled yet shipped anyway

Khenglish

I noticed that other than ports not lining up on the outside, a latitude e6540 motherboard would fit into an e6520. Internally all components were in the same locations, and even screw holes lined up. So I figured I would get a motherboard from dell if they offered a reasonable price, then just make the proper holes in the casing.

So I called dell and directly stated that although I have a service tag for an e6520, I wanted e6540 parts. Afterwards I always stated "e6540" when referring to the parts I wanted. The total came to $306.43 for the motherboard and new copper heatsink, so I went ahead and ordered. Prior to placing the order I again asked to verify that these parts were for a e6540. The person over the phone said yes. I then placed the order and was given an order number.

Of course when entering in the order number on the dell website around 30 minutes later I find that they are sending me e6520 parts. I call immediately in attempt to cancel the order. On the phone circus twice I go on hold for over 20 minutes at a time, only to loop back into the automated system as if I had just called. I ended up ending just under 2 hours on the phone. Eventually I get to someone to cancel the order, and he tells me that he cancelled it. When attempting to transfer to someone to try to place the correct order, an automated voice tells me that there has been an error and that I need to call back.

Before calling back, I re-enter my order number online. My order number now returns nothing, like it does not exist. I know that the numbers entered were correct. My checking account has the charge on it already, but Dell did not yet accept the payment. I called dell and after some time I talk to someone who tells me that this was normal, and that if money was taken that it would be placed back on.

Today I found an email from 2 days ago buried in my inbox (I get a ton of emails) that my order had shipped. I then check my account and find that my account was charged with no reimbursement. When calling today I was told that I will get a full refund with free return shipping. We will see if this turns out to be true or not.