Problems with Optimus

Orowheat

Hello,

I have recently attempted to run the internal LCD of my Lenovo X200 with an eGPU (GTX550TI). Unfortunately, I have not been able to drive the internal LCD with drivers more recent than 301.42. Has anyone had any success with more recent drivers, or is the problem on my end?

It would be a problem on your end. I'm running driver 327.23 at the moment. I used to use 314.22. If I'm not mistaken you do not have a dGPU (much less a nvidia dGPU), so you cannot get Optimus compression. @Tech Inferno Fan would be able to shed more light on this aspect.

I know @MikjoA does not have a dGPU but still is able to run his internal LCD with his Titan (albeit the bandwidth causes this to not be overly helpful).

It would be a problem on your end. I'm running driver 327.23 at the moment. I used to use 314.22. If I'm not mistaken you do not have a dGPU (much less a nvidia dGPU), so you cannot get Optimus compression. @Tech Inferno Fan would be able to shed more light on this aspect.

I know @MikjoA does not have a dGPU but still is able to run his internal LCD with his Titan (albeit the bandwidth causes this to not be overly helpful).

Of course he can benefit from Optimus compression without an nvidia dGPU. The only requirement is to get an intel iGPU (at least intel 4500MHD so even old laptop with intel core 2 duo can get it too).

So I do have myself optimus compression on my laptop, I use zero trick for internal rendering but optimus alone.

Oh, I thought you needed a dGPU with Optimus to allow for your eGPU to have it. Or is this just something driver related?

Shows how much I know about this ;p

You need an Intel HD graphics card to enable optimus. It's actually better if you just have an integrated card instead of a discrete card for an egpu system.

Seemingly, to engage the optimus compression, the nvidia driver detects that your eGPU is connected to a PCI-e X1 port, and then if there is an intel HD graphic (not sure if with an amd iGPU it would work, but I'm not even sure there's AMD iGPU, I don't know about AMD APU either).

Nvidia drivers' since 300 series, automatically engage optimus feature if your laptop meet the requirements stated above. Before we had to tweak some files with notepad.

But for the moment, sadly, Optimus won't engage with anything else than X1. Thus Thunderbolt eGPU can't benefit from optimus feature :/ because they use X2 PCI-e port...

So With X1.2opt set and TB X2 2.0 we get approximately the same performances on an external monitor as long as the CPU is good enough for bandwidth compression.

But TB offers much more performance on internal rendering.

@Orowheat For me it worked well on internal LCD with driver 314.22, 326.80 and 327.23...

what I advice you is to completely uninstall any nvidia driver, first use the common way in windows control panel, then download DriverSweeper 3.2.0 and Analyze nvidia drivers and software then Clean.

Then try to reinstall your nvidia driver with your eGPU attached and reboot.

Also you want the desktop version, not the notebook version but if you want to try the notebook version it's possible but you'll have to add your GPU into some a file, like nv_disp.inf if I recall correctly.

I am currently using the pci compression feature in setup 1.x

Should I hotplug without performing the pci compression?

Will that have any effect on Optimus engaging?

I have Optimus working with the old versions of the drivers, so Optimus does work on my setup.

Does anyone know for certain what nvidia might have changed after 301.42 regarding Optimus?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this thread because I still cannot get the internal LCD to work.

Here is my GPU-Z, if it helps to see if Optimus is active or not

post-17902-14494996630059_thumb.png

I'm running a Lenovo X200, which uses the same internal graphics as @robynasi

Therefore, I'm thinking it might be a problem with NVIDIA removing Optimus support for older gens of iGPUs in newer graphics driver versions?

I have definitely gotten the internal LCD to work with Verde drivers, I played Skyrim for a while with it. @Tech Inferno Fan any thoughts?

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.