Y510p overheating

julien329

Make sure the vents can suck up air (don't rest the laptop on sheets / your lap).

Clean the fans and heatsink fins and keep them clean​.

Get a laptop cooler.

Repaste the CPU and GPU(s).

Undervolt.

• Thumbs Up 1

You're gonna have to do all those things and even then it may not be enough to keep BF4 from overheating your CPU. You may actually have to disable Turbo Boost if you want to play this game since as far as I'm aware the laptop shuts down when the i7-4700MQ reaches 100C. Obviously, this will result in lower performance. Lenovo's decision to go with a single-fan cooling design for this notebook is inexcusable, as the previous i7-3630QM was already overheating and upgrading to a hotter chip like the i7-4700MQ without improving cooling only makes the situation worse. Couple this with the fact that 4700MQ has 5C lower thermal shutdown temperature and you have a recipe for disaster.

BF4 is the most CPU-intensive game I've ever seen. It heats up my CPU more than some synthetic benchmarks. :too_sad:

When playing BF4, my i7-3630QM reaches 90C, and close to 100C if it's a hot day. This is 10-15C hotter than any other game, including BF3. I've already done everything in my power to reduce temps including repasting both CPU and GPU and buying a decent cooling pad.

problem with another graphics card 750m.

Temperature Ultrabay graphics card are after a few minutes were over 97 degrees, there was throttling.

I took it from the port, disassemble it and I see:

GPU HAS NO PASTA on it!!!

It is the cause of overheating.

To fix the problem you need repaste the Kepler GPU.

problem with another graphics card 750m.

Temperature Ultrabay graphics card are after a few minutes were over 97 degrees, there was throttling.

I took it from the port, disassemble it and I see:

GPU HAS NO PASTA on it!!!

It is the cause of overheating.

To fix the problem you need repaste the Kepler GPU.

that's very interesting, why wouldn't it have thermal paste on it?? I heard in another forum that the ultrabay card is quite underclocked. maybe that's why they didn't add to it?

how difficult is this to accomplish? im assuming you have to take the ultrabay card apart, right?

Nope the 750M Ultrabay has the exact same clock speeds as the internal GPU. It's actually pretty scary that there's no thermal paste on it, as this can lead to overheating within seconds of turning on the system. Thankfully, these modern-day GPU's and CPU's have thermal shutdown temperatures lower than what would cause damage, but if this were the old days all it takes is one situation like this to fry the component.

Yes disassembly is required to repaste. It's very easy to disassemble the Ultrabay GPU, much more so than to repaste the internal GPU, which requires taking apart the entire laptop and removing the mainboard from the system. I took some pictures of my disassembled 650M Ultrabay, which looks identical to the 750M one, and posted them here: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/3310-pictures-disassembled-y500-ultrabay-gpu.html

You need to set the Maximum CPU usage to 94% in 'Advanced Power settings'. I have the same laptop and when I'm running the CPU at 2.4Ghz it overheats (throttles down causing framedrops). With the 94% usage the clockspeed goes to 2.2GHz max with is enough for games and the CPU stays below the 98°C (at this point the CPU throttles down)

You're gonna have to do all those things and even then it may not be enough to keep BF4 from overheating your CPU. You may actually have to disable Turbo Boost if you want to play this game since as far as I'm aware the laptop shuts down when the i7-4700MQ reaches 100C. Obviously, this will result in lower performance. Lenovo's decision to go with a single-fan cooling design for this notebook is inexcusable, as the previous i7-3630QM was already overheating and upgrading to a hotter chip like the i7-4700MQ without improving cooling only makes the situation worse. Couple this with the fact that 4700MQ has 5C lower thermal shutdown temperature and you have a recipe for disaster.

BF4 is the most CPU-intensive game I've ever seen. It heats up my CPU more than some synthetic benchmarks. :too_sad:

When playing BF4, my i7-3630QM reaches 90C, and close to 100C if it's a hot day. This is 10-15C hotter than any other game, including BF3. I've already done everything in my power to reduce temps including repasting both CPU and GPU and buying a decent cooling pad.

If someone wants to see HOW LENOVO do not PUT pasta on the second GPU(Y510p Ultrabay GPU), I will send a picture to the PM

Well Lenovo did the right thing. You're not supposed to be putting pasta on a GPU. That's not the right way to cook it.

laptop cooler for sure if its overheating that fast....

also your surface has to be solid like glass wood, never put it on like cloth? ( i do when i'm in bed ) it overheats like crazy

laptop cooler i recommend cooler master or zalman

• 2 months later...

sorry i'm a bit late to the party but what i do with my Y510p is take two ping pong balls and push in opposite sides of them to make a flat surface on each side...well actually i guess it's a cupped surface. then i took some tape and placed it on one side of the ping pong balls. i then put one under each rear rubber foot of the laptop. this lifts the rear of the laptop up and allows cool air to get underneath more easily. When i am gaming i run a small deskfan pointing under the rear of the laptop and my main gt 750m never goes overr 75c and the ultrabay one never goes over 80c. My 4700mq reaches 85c max. it's a cheap alternative to a laptop cooler and i actually like it better because it doesn't raise the entire laptop up so it's still comfortable to game on while using the laptop keyboard.

Also, repasting the ultrabay GPU is very easy and should bring temps down quite a bit. Just make sure you have a small screwdriver that fits well as the screws strip easily. Here is a picture filled post showing the disassembly from octiceps http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/3310-pictures-disassembled-y500-ultrabay-gpu.html

Yes it is very easy. :)

That's a good tip about stripping the screw. Not only should you use correct-sized Philips bit, you should find one without the taper (point). These often get in the way of the driver seating snugly into the flat-bottomed screw head and it's the number one reason for stripped screws. Because the screw heads on PC components are so small, all it takes is one good strip for the screw to get ruined, so I've got a whole set of Phillips bits where I've sanded down the tapers and I use them just for working with computers.

I've repasted the ultrabay 755M+bought a Cooler Master Notepal XL, but it did not help (at least for the ultrabay vga)...the 2nd 755M much slower, but still reaches 97C and throttles...really need a way to undervolt without performance loss :/