Y510p overheating

julien329

• 11 months later...

Cooling pad is good option,i use cooler master ergostand 3,amazing cooling pad with cotrol of fun speed and pad position ,couple different angles ,it keep cool your laptop but when you gaming nothing can help lenovo ideapad y510p SLI :D

Cooling pad is good option,i use cooler master ergostand 3,amazing cooling pad with cotrol of fun speed and pad position ,couple different angles ,it keep cool your laptop but when you gaming nothing can help lenovo ideapad y510p SLI :D

That is not entirely true. My laptop was running quite hot (since summers hit) with Ultrabay reaching 98 C. With a few mods, its running cooler.

1) You can install the unlocked BIOS and VBIOS mod mentioned here -

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/4668-lenovo-y410p-y510p-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-vbios-mod.html

Then use NVIDIA Inspector to,

Reduce clocks on both GPU by 100 Mhz

Reduce voltage on both GPU by 87.5 mV

and you laptop will never go beyond 80 C on any of them.

2) Use NVIDIA XTU to downclock your CPUs at Core 3 and 4. I have mine set at 27x.

3) Do the Y510P casing mod to provide good cooling for the Ultrabay fan.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y510p-Ultimate-Cooling-Mods-Revealed-Unshroud-your-cooling-fans/m-p/1533688#M78976

Note - Mod in Step 3 will void your warranty.

Do, with all those mods and an ambient temp of 32-35 C these are my current temps (Playing BF3, Dragon Age inquisition, Shadow of mordor on Med/High) -

CPU max - 78

Main GPU max - 79

Ultrabay GPU max - 79

This is very cool temp foe CPU because my CPU goes to 99 C when i am playing Assassin's creed black flag...Both GPU stay under 80,but close to 80 C ...I use throttle stop to maintain performance...I already did casing mod... Can your provide me what use set in bios ,and also does reducing voltage affect performance like fps drops?

This is very cool temp foe CPU because my CPU goes to 99 C when i am playing Assassin's creed black flag...Both GPU stay under 80,but close to 80 C ...I use throttle stop to maintain performance...I already did casing mod... Can your provide me what use set in bios ,and also does reducing voltage affect performance like fps drops?

FOR CPU

Your CPU is running too hot, try to cool it down by using INTEL XTU. Turn the 3 core and 4 core setting down to 27x and the voltage to -50mV.

Watch this youtube video, if necessary -

FOR GPU

I did not modify any setting in BIOS, but I am using an unlocked BIOS which enables NVIDIA Inspector to change the clocks and voltage of the GPUs.

Reducing voltage upto a certain limit does not affect performance and keeps the system cool.

Please read point 1 in my previous post for GPU undervolting and downclocking.

If you have a specific question, I would be glad to help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
That is not entirely true. My laptop was running quite hot (since summers hit) with Ultrabay reaching 98 C. With a few mods, its running cooler.

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/4668-lenovo-y410p-y510p-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-vbios-mod.html

2) Use NVIDIA XTU to downclock your CPUs at Core 3 and 4. I have mine set at 27x.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y510p-Ultimate-Cooling-Mods-Revealed-Unshroud-your-cooling-fans/m-p/1533688#M78976

Do, with all those mods and an ambient temp of 32-35 C these are my current temps (Playing BF3, Dragon Age inquisition, Shadow of mordor on Med/High) -

CPU max - 78

Main GPU max - 79

Ultrabay GPU max - 79

Hey rockykoston,

I have the same laptop as well and my solution was the "GT755M undervolt & underclock.bat"-file from this link: NvidiaInspectorForY510p. It sets the GPU clock speeds of both GPUs to 954mHz and changes something at the memory clocks. Somehow that results in a lower voltage and no more overheating and no more crashes while gaming. You do not need to mod your BIOS to use this file. I modded my BIOS as well and tried to lower the voltage of the GPUs without underclocking but I only got crashes while undervolting with Nvidia Inspector and the modded BIOS. Now my question is: Could you explain to me how exactly you did the undervolt with Nvidia Inspector and what voltage you chose? Maybe you could make such a batchfile with the commands like above.

I would be very glad if you could help me out :)

Bobbey

• 1 month later...
Hey rockykoston,

I have the same laptop as well and my solution was the "GT755M undervolt & underclock.bat"-file from this link: NvidiaInspectorForY510p. It sets the GPU clock speeds of both GPUs to 954mHz and changes something at the memory clocks. Somehow that results in a lower voltage and no more overheating and no more crashes while gaming. You do not need to mod your BIOS to use this file. I modded my BIOS as well and tried to lower the voltage of the GPUs without underclocking but I only got crashes while undervolting with Nvidia Inspector and the modded BIOS. Now my question is: Could you explain to me how exactly you did the undervolt with Nvidia Inspector and what voltage you chose? Maybe you could make such a batchfile with the commands like above.

I would be very glad if you could help me out :)

Bobbey

Sorry for delayed response.

As I mentioned, the clock speed reduced by 100.

Voltage reduced by 87.5 (On the slider, slide it towards left till you hit -87.5)

The Save this configuration on your desktop.

Each time you restart the laptop, you can click on this configuration file (which will have same icon as NVIDIA inspector) to set the required values. You can play the games after that.

If crash happens, post a screenshot of your NVIDIA inspector showing what you have modified.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

CPU max - 78

Main GPU max - 79

Ultrabay GPU max - 79

Hey guys :),

if I try to lower the voltages of both GPUs with nvidia inspector (and yes i modded both Vbios and main bios) the slider of "voltage offset" always goes back to 0 if I press apply :( reducing the core clock by 100mhz works fine. How did you do that? also i don't know which power state i have to choose... would be very happy if you could post an exact explanation on how to do it :) big thanks in advance :)

Bobbey :D

Hey guys :),

if I try to lower the voltages of both GPUs with nvidia inspector (and yes i modded both Vbios and main bios) the slider of "voltage offset" always goes back to 0 if I press apply :( reducing the core clock by 100mhz works fine. How did you do that? also i don't know which power state i have to choose... would be very happy if you could post an exact explanation on how to do it :) big thanks in advance :)

Bobbey :D

Enable SLi, goto NVI and dont set your desired voltage until the clock of both GPUs settle to idle state (135core,Memory 405) in the current tab. After that set voltage for GPU 1 then 2 and save voltage shortcuts for each gpu separately, so next time u want to undervolt just double click these shortcuts individually. Let me know how much does yer system undervolt for games. Regards!

Enable SLi, goto NVI and dont set your desired voltage until the clock of both GPUs settle to idle state (135core,Memory 405) in the current tab. After that set voltage for GPU 1 then 2 and save voltage shortcuts for each gpu separately, so next time u want to undervolt just double click these shortcuts individually. Let me know how much does yer system undervolt for games. Regards!

Ok setting voltages and clocks works now :D thanks so far!! I tried underclocking by 100mHz and undervolting by 87.5mV, no crashes due to the voltage but it gets very hot (I tested it with Battlefield 4 on Medium settings, no fps limit). I stopped at 90°C at GPU 0 and 95°C at GPU 1. At the beginning I've got between 100 and 130 fps (which is equal to the performance that I get without any changes at the clocks and voltages) and when it got really hot I just had between 80 and 105 fps.

How should I go on with undervolting and underclocking? I wanna find values with that I get no crashes due to instability or overheating and no performance loss as well... Do you have any idea which values I should try next?

Thanks in advance :)

Ok setting voltages and clocks works now :D thanks so far!! I tried underclocking by 100mHz and undervolting by 87.5mV, no crashes due to the voltage but it gets very hot (I tested it with Battlefield 4 on Medium settings, no fps limit). I stopped at 90°C at GPU 0 and 95°C at GPU 1. At the beginning I've got between 100 and 130 fps (which is equal to the performance that I get without any changes at the clocks and voltages) and when it got really hot I just had between 80 and 105 fps.

How should I go on with undervolting and underclocking? I wanna find values with that I get no crashes due to instability or overheating and no performance loss as well... Do you have any idea which values I should try next?

Thanks in advance :)

Here are the settings I have applied on both my main GPU and Ultrabay GPU.

post-37538-14495001191941_thumb.jpg

You may also want to use NVIDIA Extreme Tuning Utility to reduce your CPU turbo clocking, to help reduce temps. Look at the values I have highlighted in the screenshot -

post-37538-14495001192243_thumb.jpg

Here are the settings I have applied on both my main GPU and Ultrabay GPU.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16531[/ATTACH]

You may also want to use NVIDIA Extreme Tuning Utility to reduce your CPU turbo clocking, to help reduce temps. Look at the values I have highlighted in the screenshot -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16532[/ATTACH]

Thanks for your help so far, rockyston :)!!

I applied your settings and tested the temps and stability playing BF4 (I always have no fps limit, I wanna stress my GPUs to see if I got stable values and temps won't rise up). First I set graphics to medium and later on to high. The temps were going up permanently but very slow in comparison with the undervolting values before. After something like 20 minutes the ultrabay GPU reached 95° and the main one 90°C, then I stopped.

I would be very glad if you could give me a hint which value I should try next or how I should go on :)

Another little question: I undervolted the CPU using Intel XTU as you said... Should I lower the cache voltage offset as well?

I do strongly appreciate your help :)

Thanks for your help so far, rockyston :)!!

I applied your settings and tested the temps and stability playing BF4 (I always have no fps limit, I wanna stress my GPUs to see if I got stable values and temps won't rise up). First I set graphics to medium and later on to high. The temps were going up permanently but very slow in comparison with the undervolting values before. After something like 20 minutes the ultrabay GPU reached 95° and the main one 90°C, then I stopped.

I would be very glad if you could give me a hint which value I should try next or how I should go on :)

Another little question: I undervolted the CPU using Intel XTU as you said... Should I lower the cache voltage offset as well?

I do strongly appreciate your help :)

The cache voltage is fine. You underclocked both settings - Base clock (-50) and memory clock (-100)?

You can try reducing the voltage further to -100mV, keeping the clocks at same level and see if there are any crashes.

Also, you can apply this mod to provide good ventilation for the Ultrabay fan -

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y510p-Ultimate-Cooling-Mods-Revealed-Unshroud-your-cooling-fans/td-p/1533688

The mod will void warranty. I have applied this mod also.

Try running GPU-z when you are playing the game, to see what max clocks the GPU is reaching, post a screenshot of the graph and values screen of GPU-z.

The cache voltage is fine. You underclocked both settings - Base clock (-50) and memory clock (-100)?

You can try reducing the voltage further to -100mV, keeping the clocks at same level and see if there are any crashes.

Also, you can apply this mod to provide good ventilation for the Ultrabay fan -

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Y510p-Ultimate-Cooling-Mods-Revealed-Unshroud-your-cooling-fans/td-p/1533688

The mod will void warranty. I have applied this mod also.

Try running GPU-z when you are playing the game, to see what max clocks the GPU is reaching, post a screenshot of the graph and values screen of GPU-z.

So I don't need to change the chache voltage?

And yes I underclocked both settings: base clock -50 and memory clock -100 and -87.5mV but overheated. Then I tried -112.5mV and it went up to 86°C main GPU and 92°C at the ultrabay GPU. I was able to play for about 30 minutes but then the game crashed due to overheating (I guess).

After that I tried -125.0mV, it didn't crash and it didn't get that extremely hot but after some time I think the performance decreased :( should I try -100mV as well or should I try other values? I'm actually a noob at that but would be glad to find out values with that I have the best performance and no overheating.

I use MSI Afterburner to have a look at the temps and the clocks. The clocks were constant at the value I set them.

Any help is appreciated :) later I can post a screenshot of GPU-z if you want...

So I don't need to change the chache voltage?

And yes I underclocked both settings: base clock -50 and memory clock -100 and -87.5mV but overheated. Then I tried -112.5mV and it went up to 86°C main GPU and 92°C at the ultrabay GPU. I was able to play for about 30 minutes but then the game crashed due to overheating (I guess).

After that I tried -125.0mV, it didn't crash and it didn't get that extremely hot but after some time I think the performance decreased :( should I try -100mV as well or should I try other values? I'm actually a noob at that but would be glad to find out values with that I have the best performance and no overheating.

I use MSI Afterburner to have a look at the temps and the clocks. The clocks were constant at the value I set them.

Any help is appreciated :) later I can post a screenshot of GPU-z if you want...

I am sure this forum has more intelligent people than myself however I can tell you that undervolting is definitely not going to harm your chip when done in reasonable boundaries.

Basic concept - The GPU needs a certain voltage to achieve the higher clocks.

Some GPUs can achieve their higher clocks at a lower voltage as well, which essentially reduces the heat generated in the chip from voltage (Undervolting)

Reducing the clocks decreases the stress on the chip at a given voltage.

Main objective - To find a voltage and clock combination that will reduce heat and give a stable system.

Now, certain GPUs may not show temp drop even after undervolting, this is just due to the way it has been manufactured. No 2 chips are the same and wont behave the same. All I can recommend is you can drop the voltage by 125mV and reduce the Base clock by 100 and Memory clock by 250, see if that helps.

I am sure this forum has more intelligent people than myself however I can tell you that undervolting is definitely not going to harm your chip when done in reasonable boundaries.

Basic concept - The GPU needs a certain voltage to achieve the higher clocks.

Some GPUs can achieve their higher clocks at a lower voltage as well, which essentially reduces the heat generated in the chip from voltage (Undervolting)

Reducing the clocks decreases the stress on the chip at a given voltage.

Main objective - To find a voltage and clock combination that will reduce heat and give a stable system.

Now, certain GPUs may not show temp drop even after undervolting, this is just due to the way it has been manufactured. No 2 chips are the same and wont behave the same. All I can recommend is you can drop the voltage by 125mV and reduce the Base clock by 100 and Memory clock by 250, see if that helps.

Did that, I think it works :) played for about 30 minutes... the temps stopped going up at 81°C and 84°... I get 70-90 fps on BF4 High graphics... I don't know if I could get better performance with a little higher clocks... Where do you know the ratio between the clocks and voltage from? I'm happy for now but of course I want the best performance I can get with no overheating and no instability :D

But thaaaanks so far :)

Did that, I think it works :) played for about 30 minutes... the temps stopped going up at 81°C and 84°... I get 70-90 fps on BF4 High graphics... I don't know if I could get better performance with a little higher clocks... Where do you know the ratio between the clocks and voltage from? I'm happy for now but of course I want the best performance I can get with no overheating and no instability :D

But thaaaanks so far :)

No :playful: , i dont know any official ratio. Like I said, every GPU chip has different settings that work.

You can try different values and always come down to these, if those dont work. For me, I found a sweet spot, as mentioned in my earlier screenshots. Any game and the temps dont go higher than 80 for me.

No :playful: , i dont know any official ratio. Like I said, every GPU chip has different settings that work.

You can try different values and always come down to these, if those dont work. For me, I found a sweet spot, as mentioned in my earlier screenshots. Any game and the temps dont go higher than 80 for me.

Okay i'll try that... thank you very much for your help :) before I used some batchfiles from the internet that do underclock and somehow that fixed my problem but I just got 70 fps on Low graphics... no i get 70-90 on High graphics... that's amazing :D

Try to clean the fans first using the DUST CLEANER

Go to search in windows 8 or 10 then type energy management open it and click on DUST REMOVAL

do this 3 to 5 times until you get your fans and cpu really clear and try to play the game after that

Try to clean the fans first using the DUST CLEANER

Go to search in windows 8 or 10 then type energy management open it and click on DUST REMOVAL

do this 3 to 5 times until you get your fans and cpu really clear and try to play the game after that

Try using http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/7358-ideafan-y510p.html it does the same dust removal and with forum members help tweaked timeouts in between starting dust removal. Temperatures keeps steady for me more than a year and half of usage now.

• 4 weeks later...

An easy way if you do not want to use any external utilitys and its pretty accurate for the most part is to just use the built in processor power management and turn down the maximum state from 100 to 94 or whatever value you need to keep from hitting thermal.