Turbo boost safe temps?

bob

I have a Y510p with 4700mq.

I'm trying to do some video encoding but I want it to go faster. I'm trying to force turbo on when encoding and I need to know what are the safe temperature limits because I'm reaching around 90c on a haswell at 3 gigahertz.

If someone could tell me how to change the fan speed, it would be a lot easier.

SpeedFan - Access temperature sensor in your computer

Try this, not sure about your model, but you can use this, also boot in to bios setup see if there are any fan settings there (doubt it as it is a laptop).

90c is Fine if you are doing something for limited time, however try to keep it below 80c.

I didnt see any fan settings in there, it is more then likely controlled onboard. And the whole to delicate with your hardware. I mind you that 100c is when it shuts down, THESE chips are not met to run continuously at 90c+. Check out my mod rigs at evga, and the number of times I have overclocked. I assure you those little tiny circuits take a beating when they get anywhere near 100c.

Nope it's not possible to change the fanspeed.

I found out that the Lenovo dust removal featre actually let the fan spin faster then when I'm gaming (when the CPU reaches 98°C)

The Cpu throttles down if it reaches 98°C so I think you're safe if you stay below that temp.