Laptop Cooling Pad

krwilson

previously i had a nice logitec cooling pad with built in speakers, alas i left it when i moved. though i find most of the problems are simply caused by a lack of air flow under the pc from having it on my lap or on a couch/bed. instead of going out for a new pad i just took an old shelf from a desk that is the same aprox size as the notebook and use that. its not an optimal solution but for the short term it works well

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know much about cooling pads, and I've never seen a nice roundup with multiple contestants like they do with thermal paste, but even putting my laptop an some legos as a makeshift pad yields slightly better temperatures.

Does anyone here know if additional fand on the cooling pad do anything at all? Because the Cooler Master Notepal series looks really good and functional (transport). Adding fans would greatly hurt the portability.

If you can't afford a cooling pad, you will be surprised with how much cooler your laptop will run when it is elevated a bit. You can try getting taller rubber feet for the bottom of the case. You can also try flipping bottle caps over and putting the rubber feet on top of those.

How's it for using if you are using it on your lap? I'm usually sitting in bed/on a couch so would prefer something I can use on my lap, any good recommendations for that?

Amazon.com: Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim Ultra-Slim Laptop Cooling Pad with 160mm Fan (R9-NBC-XSLI-GP): Computers & Accessories

I use that one and its perfect for the lap. It seems to blow air to the sides keeping your lap/chest cold. It also doesn't have big feet just little rubber stilts and is really thin and light. It is completely silent unless you get something through the fan grate :P The only thing I don't like about it is that it has a huge USB connector that sticks out way too far from the side.

• Thumbs Up 1

There are a lot of suggestions here but I too am looking for a cooling pad for my lenovo y510p.

It's not overheating or anything, but it does get quite hot when I play games like Planetside 2 and I'm not a big fan of heat as my previous laptop's GPU died because of it.

What would you suggest for somebody on a low budget?

I do a good amount of gaming on my y510p and have been using the Cooler Master X3. It's $40 so it isn't the cheapest around, but if you want something that's reliable and does the job that would be my recommendation. I've had it for about a year and have dropped it a few times and it still works flawlessly.

I have a cheapo battery cooling pad from Big Lots, and I play games pretty heavily, and it's been enough for me. Y500 hasn't ever gotten past even kinda warm. If you're looking for a cooling pad just get whatever, I don't think it matters too much, the Y500 did an okay enough job at dealing with heat.

• 4 weeks later...
Maybe try to clen your fans from dust by using compressed airs and vacum. You can try repasting cpu and gpu. And finnaly cooling pad. Dont buy cheap colling pad cause they are not working. Friend of mine is using zelman nc1300 and achive 4 to 7 celcius degrees less on his cpu and gpu.

I wouldn't recommend vacuuming since that could create static and fry you laptop.

I have the y510p and I use the Coolermaster Notepal X3. It has a 200MM fan with variable speed dial and on/off switches for the fan and the (IMO) useless blue LED's. Also has a usb port to replace the one you lose to power the cooler. It's a nice cooler and is pretty much the exact same size as the y510p. The little cooling vents at the front are nice as they do indeed blow cool air on your hands or whatever appendage happens to be in front of it. I recline in a chair almost exclusively when I am on my laptop and the cooler sits well on my lap. As far as fan noise is concerned.....considering its a 200mm fan it is pretty quiet. When its on my lap I don't really even notice the fan spinning but when its on the table it seems to echo off the hard surface a bit more. It's not overwhelming by any means but is noticeable. Sorry I'm a bit late to the party but I figured I would throw my 2 cents in for future members.

I purchased a CM-Storm 19 cooling pad, and it shreds. It requires a separate power outlet, but 2 120mm fans keep the bottom nice and cool. There is still hot flow coming from the video cards, but that gets taken care of easily