GTX 680M awful throttling issue running GTA IV mods

brokendown

So I have tried everything it feels like. I wish a notebook OC master can help me here.

Firstly I was running GTA IV modded with 2.1 Icenhancer really well, that was until my laptop hit it's 93 celsius mark and started throttling on me. I keep loosing my fps bit by bit the longer it runs. Nvidia Inspector says it caps itself at half my clockspeeds but GPU-Z says it's maxed out. Which should I trust?

My rig is

CLEVO P370EM

GTX 680M

i7 3740QM

16GB 1600 DDR3

I thought oh well lets OC the bastard so I clocked the i7 to 4.1Ghz and the GTX 680m to boost clock 980mhz and memory clock 2250, getting that 144GB/s bandwith. But the same problem persists. As soon as it hits 93celsius and the fan starts revving I start loosing 1 frame bit by bit minute by minute. Before that happens I have gotten about 30% increase in performance from the OC but I can't seem to work around the issue. The computer has always hit it's 93celsius and started revving its fan in most performance heavy games but never lost fps like a damn time bomb. Now I have the same problem in Crysis 3 too. Something I have never noticed before being an issue. And before you say it is due to OC the problem was the same without OC and the temperatures usually hit that mark at 99% GPU usage. What am I missing here? Why is my throttle and fan kicking in at just 93celsius. The fan should prevent it from happening at an earlier temperature one would think.

Save me oh Gamer laptop wizards?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

That old issue was that of dust in the heatsinks actually. Dropped down well below after getting rid of it.

Also just found out about 2 years later I picked a worse alternative of vBIOS for the overclock lol. Forum noob mistake. But as soon as I have 5 posts I will re flash again if I can find out which version of voltage is better for me or if 67.00.01 is in any way better than the 33.00.10 version in OV versions

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had the exact same issue. These last few weeks everytime I would play for a longer session my framerate would start to throttle and the screen would end up becoming half black. I really thought my video card had died and even started to shop for a new system. But in the end just removing the dust fixed it :)

• 8 months later...

Even if the vbios makes any difference at all, with proper thermal paste the card should never reach such high temps (Kepler generally run cooler, <90°C is optimal).

I would advise you to go open your case, undust the fans and heatsinks and apply thermal paste, you should see a huge temperature drop! Always worth it.

Besides, it might be a fan issue, i.e. the GPU fan does not kick in at 100%.

*Edit: After reading the end of your post, it looks like you have a similar problem to mine. The X7200 has no official windows 10 driver support, and there is no BIOS/EC made for W10. Everything still runs fine, and I have no GPU problems at all, other than the GPU fan not kicking in until 77°C and then my utilization drops to 40-50%, causing FPS drops of course. I figured out this only happens if I put the Power Management Mode in the Nvidia Control Panel to "Prefer Maximum Performance" globally. If I set it back to the default value, "Adaptive", there is simply no fan at all, but also no throttling. However, if I set each game individually per profile to "Prefer Maximum Performance" the GPU fan kicks in at 81°C. Which is okay, solving the problem, but weird because it used to kick in at 76°C at its highest level.

I can only suggest that you check whether there is a new BIOS/EC available for your notebook and flash it, alongside a VBIOS flash, even though I think the VBIOs is not the culprit :) Never hurts to run  svl7's OC revised 01 VBIOS.

Edited by sirana