Gtx 780

Septu

Hey guys. I'm new here and apologise if this is the wrong place for this thread. But i need advice or help. I have recently built a new rig running i7 3770K, corsair dominator GT 2133mhz ram x 16Gb, Asrock z77 OC formula mb, EVGA SC GTX 780. My ram, cpu and gpu are all running WC. So here's my question. I'm having issues OC'ing my gpu it seems i cant get more than 1.149v out of it and i cant get a clock any higher than 1150mhz which seems to me to be very low given the conditions and the card. I have seen other clocking up around 1280mhz but no matter what i dop i cant get stable past this point. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Boost 2.0 is having an impact too. But i really need to be able to achieve more voltage and lose the boost feature. Is there a way i can achieve these things to get a higher OC? Any help would be greatly appreciated cos i'm starting to get quite frustrated lol. Thanks in advance to everyone too.

• 5 months later...

Not sure if it's still relevant to you but I have a similar setup. 2 x eVGA Gtx 780's in SLI under water along with my 3930k CPU. I'm running the modified vBIOS that Svl7 created for these cards that allows for 1.212V, boost disabled along with a crazy high power limit and the max I can push my cards to is 1163Mhz on the core. Extended periods of looping Heaven benchmark see no higher temps than 46 degrees C with ambient around 28 degrees C. Running a Silverstone Strider 1500W PSU along with the extra power connector in my Rampage IV Formula board so I know that power is not an issue. Using the Afterburner soft mod to get voltage up as high as 1.28V see's me running significantly higher frequencies around 1280Mhz but eventually the VRM's get way too hot and the driver stops responding. The mod also stops the normal voltage drop down in 2d mode so it's really not healthy for the cards. I would say that it is due to the quality of the original GK110 chips used in the 780 as compared to the B revision in the 780Ti which seem to be clocking higher and have a better designed OEM VRM circuit.

It's still odd that you are only seeing 1.149V when stock you should be able to hit 1.2V I believe. If you are testing using Kombustor or any other sort of "Power virus" as nvidia or AMD would call them then the driver may be restricting max voltage. Better off trying it in a game with benchmark like Tomb Raider and ensure V-Sync is off.

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure if it's still relevant to you but I have a similar setup. 2 x eVGA Gtx 780's in SLI under water along with my 3930k CPU. I'm running the modified vBIOS that Svl7 created for these cards that allows for 1.212V, boost disabled along with a crazy high power limit and the max I can push my cards to is 1163Mhz on the core. Extended periods of looping Heaven benchmark see no higher temps than 46 degrees C with ambient around 28 degrees C. Running a Silverstone Strider 1500W PSU along with the extra power connector in my Rampage IV Formula board so I know that power is not an issue. Using the Afterburner soft mod to get voltage up as high as 1.28V see's me running significantly higher frequencies around 1280Mhz but eventually the VRM's get way too hot and the driver stops responding. The mod also stops the normal voltage drop down in 2d mode so it's really not healthy for the cards. I would say that it is due to the quality of the original GK110 chips used in the 780 as compared to the B revision in the 780Ti which seem to be clocking higher and have a better designed OEM VRM circuit.

It's still odd that you are only seeing 1.149V when stock you should be able to hit 1.2V I believe. If you are testing using Kombustor or any other sort of "Power virus" as nvidia or AMD would call them then the driver may be restricting max voltage. Better off trying it in a game with benchmark like Tomb Raider and ensure V-Sync is off.

Sounds like one heck of a setup, I was thinking of benchmarking it through Tomb Raider as well though the screen tearing is really bugging me with V-Sync on, I'm unsure of how to fix that without turning it off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

You may have to download and install a custom bios to achieve higher voltage settings, or to have the voltage limit unlocked. However I do not advise doing so because it will void your warranty Your graphics card chip may also not be able to handle the increase in volts and clock speeds so tread with care.