Expert help needed

I was unsure of which section to post this on, but I think this is where it might get the most visibility so here it goes. I really need help with this.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15dhnr_laptop-problems_tech" target="_blank">Laptop Problems by http://www.dailymotion.com/jfp555" target="_blank">jfp555

If it does not embed properly, here is the link: Laptop Problems - Video Dailymotion

Is there a solution to this problem? The laptop seems to be working just fine and boots into windows and I can even make out the display, use the mouse, shutdown, but obviously it is unusable.

Specs are:

C2D T5850

4 gb ram

8600m GT

Win 7

The fault seems to be hardware based. not software.

Much thanks in advance.

Possibly shorting on the VRAM, or dying VRAM.

Thank you for the response. I was hoping for a way to identify the problem.

This occurredd before a couple of years ago and was fixed by a repair shop. It worked well for about a year again and I even played Mass Effect 3 on it for days. Then I didn't turn it on for a few months but when I did, the problem cropped up within an hour. I'd also like to add that this is a rebadged MSI GX600.

could this be a problem with a cable that connects to the display?

Thanks for the replies again guys.

In case it is the cable or the GPU dying, I would be very grateful if you guys could suggest the where I can purchase both from?

Since the GPU is a part of the motherboard (soldered instead of MXM), or if the cable is messed up, I would like to know a good online retailer to buy from. Is it even possible to buy just the motherboard of the MSI GX600? I will need the whole motherboard if the gpu is done.

I'm pretty sure that this stems from a dying GPU. nVidia had problems with the soldering of its GPUs back when the 8xxx series was released as lead was forbidden as a part of the solder. The joint would sometimes break due to thermal conditions if I remember correctly.

I had the same issue with my Dell XPS m1330 running a 8400m GS. Back then the service technician told me that even without warranty they would fix it as this was nVidias fault and that nVidia would pay for the replacement anyway. So you might be lucky and get that thing fixed for free by MSI? Would give it a try and call the service hotline.

Thanks for the response b1te. Atleast now I can be sure that its the GPU dying thats the problem. I got the laptop from the US (newegg) back in dec 08, and not in the US at the moment, so will just try getting the GPU reballed locally if someone can do it for cheap otherwise just scrap it keep for parts.