M18xR1 video card swap

tah003

I need a little help my M18xR1 original gtx580m cards cooked out so I thought I would buy a pair of gtx765m cards and stick them in but all I get is a blank screen (you can see the screen light up) but nothing else so I installed one of the fried gtx580s in and flashed the 05 unlocked bios that went well but my gtx765s still don't seem to work?

1) what do I need to do to get them up and running and can they be made to work in this laptop I see someone else got gtx780s to work so what am I missing:upset:

hay congratulations for the new cards . ok first try to install only one card on the main socket and check if it works . if every thing goes fine insert the other one only again just to be sure that the both cards are fine then we will talk

check this thread it can helps

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/3702-m17x-r3-gpu-upgrade-gtx-780m.html

yes forgot to say , there is something its better to do before that, before u remove ur fried 580 , go to bios disable IGD (internal graphics device) which enabling the PEG

then go to windows and un install the nvidia driver then do what we discussed in the first post

yes forgot to say , there is something its better to do before that, before u remove ur fried 580 , go to bios disable IGD (internal graphics device) which enabling the PEG

then go to windows and un install the nvidia driver then do what we discussed in the first post

Thanks and will do and will get back on the results

Ok did as suggested still have no video you can see the screen light up but no image is displayed and the system does not seem to post/boot. Both cards do the same thing If I install one of the cooked gtx580s it will post and boot...more suggestions as to what to do next THANKS

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys,

I'm about to take the plunge and swap out my 6990m Crossfire with a 780m SLI set up.

Got the cards, heatsinks and SLI cable all ready to go.

Just waiting on my IC Diamond thermal paste and getting the courage up to flash the BIOS with the unlocked A05 (if that is needed for the system to recognise the cards?)

It's just a thermal grease. Just check thermal grease manual if you think that's someway different than other greases but most of them are applied same way. I was doing 2920XM repaste month ago.Just remember to apply it really thin because when it's too much paste then it will work as isolator.

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

I just upgraded a few weeks ago with with my m17x from 560m to 780m. you should have no issue's with heat sinks or x brackets. Just make sure to get some good thermal pads, and make sure they have contact with your heat sinks. follow j95 guide in the forum link bikaso gave. After install, if you start getting beeps and black screen when restarting computer. Take out card and reinstall they arn;t sitting right. Happened to me, and I had a slight panic :)