eGPU case and XBox PSU

M-Low

Hey all - I wanted to share with y'all the case I put together for my eGPU. For the longest time I've been simply leaving all the components out in the open and it looked awful. I then started to house them in my desk drawer and made sure the drawer was open while it was turned on for heat dissipation - kind of annoying.

I finally came across an old Commodore 5.25" floppy drive, took the guts out, painted it black and here we go!

I'm powering my GTX670 with the 150w "Jasper" XBox 360 PSU, which provides more than enough power for my card. I've seen people try to hook up the 175W and 203W versions, but that's just a waste - I've done full testing on this and have found zero power bottleneck.

post-8034-14494996155332_thumb.jpg

Yes - some soldering was involved in order to cut down on cords and power everything directly. In the end, the PSU powers the GPU with 2x 6-pins and the TH05 with a floppy molex directly.

The switch is connected so that when turned off, the PSU goes into standby (orange light) and cuts power to all the 12v cables. When the switch is turned on (green light), 12v returns to the cables, powering the GPU and TH05.

post-8034-14494996154543_thumb.jpg

post-8034-1449499615467_thumb.jpg

post-8034-14494996154837_thumb.jpg

post-8034-14494996154949_thumb.jpg

post-8034-1449499615508_thumb.jpg

post-8034-144949961552_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Wow, that is very nice. I thought mine turned out really nice, but you got me beat by a longshot lol.

How did you mount the card / psu in there? I can't really tell from the pictures. I used some steel pipe hangar and rubber stoppers to hold mine. Same with the PSU.

Lucky for you, you managed to get a TH05. I envy that removable cable (plus the bandwidth).

Very clean build.

Awesome!

I don't suppose you could upload more/larger pictures?

That is pretty much exactly what I would like my end result to look like.

I don't suppose you could post a wiring diagram? I know there are heaps around

but it would be awesome to know how you did the light too.

Did you end up using a SWEX (ATX Power Supply Power-On Switch)?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys - If you can wait a couple weeks, I'll be able to do this a little more thoroughly.

I recently ordered another XBox psu from China and have another Commodore 5.25" floppy drive lying around. I'll post photo-by-photo instructions and a wiring diagram.

This next version will be slightly different, as mentioned above, I'm going to use the 203w version of the XBox psu:

1 - With the extra yellow (12v) and black (ground) lines, I'll be wiring up two ambient fans to increase air-flow for over-clocking. As an aside, I don't know much about over-clocking, but what I do know is that keeping the cpu and/or gpu cool during increased load is usually better... hence the additional fans.

a) One fan will simply be fixed to the under-side of the "lid", where the vents are located - sucking air directly down on to the gpu fan.

B) I'm going to try my hand at carving out a bit of the box to have the second fan placed at the back where the switch is located.

The two placements should suck air in from the top and back to blow out the front (with lots of air going through the gpu). This should also reduce any ambient heat given off by the already low heat psu.

2 - I'll be wiring this one differently. Instead of wiring everything directly to the power source, I'll be creating intermediary connections to simplify, improve soldering quality, and adaptability to divergent power pin requirements of differing gpu's.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.