Gx660r + gtx 580m/675m

Bugii

The 580m / 675m ( aka the same cards ) Have a TDP from 100watt each .

Deppens on what line out of the first gen you have is it a i7 or i5 ? normaly people with a older spec laptop put an extreme cpu in it like a 920xm or higher up .

So i can go along with some new graphics card, i dont know if 150 watts is enough for a first gen cpu ( since they take more power ) with a new gpu that consumes a fat 100watt.

Which gpu do you have currently in it ?

The 580m / 675m ( aka the same cards ) Have a TDP from 100watt each .

Deppens on what line out of the first gen you have is it a i7 or i5 ? normaly people with a older spec laptop put an extreme cpu in it like a 920xm or higher up .

So i can go along with some new graphics card, i dont know if 150 watts is enough for a first gen cpu ( since they take more power ) with a new gpu that consumes a fat 100watt.

Which gpu do you have currently in it ?

its i5 cpu - 35W

currently HD5870m - 50W

stock acad was 120w

I got 675m working fine in msi 1761 using 150w acad without issue, there was i7 2630qm = 45w.

I mean the acad isnt problem at all, I can even plug in 300W acad, I'm worried about motherboard or if i5 is enough for it. I've heard somebody got hd7970m working in that machine, which is as well 100w gpu. - not sure what was the cpu in his machine.

It's just I dont want to upgrade cpu to 920xm if I dont have to... this laptop is a present for a friend of mine, and I got some spare GPUs, trying to upgrade it as good as possible at very low cost. And I dont want to fry something.

its i5 cpu - 35W

currently HD5870m - 50W

stock acad was 120w

I got 675m working fine in msi 1761 using 150w acad without issue, there was i7 2630qm = 45w.

I mean the acad isnt problem at all, I can even plug in 300W acad, I'm worried about motherboard or if i5 is enough for it. I've heard somebody got hd7970m working in that machine, which is as well 100w gpu. - not sure what was the cpu in his machine.

It's just I dont want to upgrade cpu to 920xm if I dont have to... this laptop is a present for a friend of mine, and I got some spare GPUs, trying to upgrade it as good as possible at very low cost. And I dont want to fry something.

The cards should work just fine, but I don't think the heatsink will work without modifications.

• 2 weeks later...

just an FYI if anyone interested..

it works, however the i5 460m seems to be bottleneck for this gpu.

mostly around 70-90% gpu usage, framerates are okay-ish, still very good upgrade though...it could be better...

I was surprised by the temperatures - maybe it's because of the usage - 43C idle, 75C load (Same card in msi 1761 i7/2630qm was 45C - 86C)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The better Way to Upgrade the GPU in GX660 is to use a GTX 670MX or GTX 675MX.

With OC Vbios You will get 5000 to 6000 Points in 3Dmark11.

I tried both Cards in a GT660 ,i think a GTX 680M will also work in this Barebone.

All Cards are Kepler GK104.