Lenovo Y510p wireless card

DyinAngel

Yes there are issues with it it seems. Intel hasn't been very responsive to the problems. There's even been some chatter about them silencing folks, deleting their accounts and posts, etc on their official forums that have been asking about the problems. These aren't people that are bashing them, swearing etc, apparently - just asking what the deal is and when a fix is around the corner. I'm not sure what's going on but it's very fishy.

I've been having issues with my 7260. Like others I need to reboot the wireless card a couple of times a day. I do this by turning the wireless of the laptop on and off with the function button or by disabling it in the Windows' wireless control panel.

The card's fast but the disconnect issues are a drag. Basically what happens is that the card disconnects you from the 5ghz AP and then cannot see any 5ghz channels until the card is reset. I have a dual band router so it drops to the 2.4ghz AP. The weird thing is that when this happens the connection speed of the 2.4ghz connection drops significantly.

With as many people that are having issues I'm quite surprised that Intel hasn't fixed the problem. They're a pretty big company and it'd seem like they could acquire the talent to fix this. Resetting the wireless card isn't a huge deal but it's a pain and I didn't pay for this device with the knowledge of this issue. Unfortunately I'm also passed my return date. It's not an expensive piece of equipment, but come on!

I'm not sure what I'll do at this point. Unfortunately I bought a wireless AC router to go with it so if I swap my old wireless card in I now have ~no use for the router as nobody else makes a wireless AC laptop card. Perhaps Qualcomm / Killer / Atheros will come out with something. Who knows.

Another odd thing btw is that the card didn't have any issues when I first got it. Then it did after ~a month. What's more odd is that the problem is resolved with a reset. So it's not an overheating issue and not something physically wrong with the card as far as I can deduce. For reference, I've rolled back drivers, re-installed drivers and everything of the sort. I'm also using Windows 7 64 bit on my Y510p.

I think the best bet if you want quality wifi performance is to mod the bios. I personally didn't spend much time looking into cards that didn't require a mod. Most folks for the 4xx/5xx series seem to champion Intel cards, but I went with a Killer N-1202. Didn't see any need for AC other than future proof with my current setup, or for wifi around town.

Quick comparo of similar Intel/Killer cards which I found interesting.

Wi-Fi adapter shootout: Qualcomm versus Intel in an 802.11 battle | PCWorld

I didn't personally put much much effort into looking at what cards will work with stock bios. I went with a Killer N1202. Seems most people champion Intel replacements, but I read a couple of reviews that showed the Killer should best the Intel in most situations I will use the laptop in. Going AC over N to me is just future proofing. My personal network is N and I can't think of many hot sports around town that will be running AC anytime soon.

Hi all, new here.

I've been directed here by most lenovo sites, and have found most of the information I needed.

A few quick q's :

How instrusive in regards to warranty is BIOS modding? I've kept a copy of the original download, and want to make sure if I assplode the y510p any time soon I can send it back and revert it to factory form.

Thanks!

Hi all, new here.

I've been directed here by most lenovo sites, and have found most of the information I needed.

A few quick q's :

How instrusive in regards to warranty is BIOS modding? I've kept a copy of the original download, and want to make sure if I assplode the y510p any time soon I can send it back and revert it to factory form.

Thanks!

That I do not know...

It probably does. But the deal with that most of the time as with anything is that they'd have to prove what you did borked the laptop. There was a lawsuit about car warranties a while back along similar lines where someone would change their own spark plugs and they'd deny warranty coverage when the wheel fell off (for example). For instance, modding the bios wouldn't cause one of your keys to pop off or the hinges to break. I mean unless you overclocked it and in doing so the extra heat fatigued the metal which induced the failure but I mean.... ​really

• 2 weeks later...

This seems like a good place to report my success with a wireless card... I ordered this one from ebay and it's been great. It's a Broadcom which I had heard may not work the best with 410p/510p hardware but it also has an IBM part number... still requires the BIOS mod though.

Number of networks I can see hugely increased after install. I hadn't really had any serious issues with the 2230 and was mostly installing it to get the 5GHz, but reception is so much better with the new card. (One side effect: my inssider link score on 2.4GHz dropped pretty significantly because I was suddenly picking up more networks on nearby channels, heh)

Anyway, it's only N, and still requires the BIOS mod despite reports I'd heard that it should work without, but it seems to be a solid dual band card that is working great in my Y410p.

Did anyone tried Intel centrino-n 6235 ? I`m currently looking for a wifi card to replace Intel 2230 and i`m looking for an option not to modify the bios.

I'm using the 6235 but I did use svl7 whitelist bios mod. Works great no issues at all

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

My BIOS is modded, but I upgraded the wireless card in my Lenovo Y510p to an Intel 7260 AC. My range has increased quite a bit along with throughput. I'll likely be picking up an AC router in a couple of months when the next revision of the ASUS AC rolls around.

I picked up my Intel 7260 AC wireless card on Amazon. It was pretty cheap, delivered quickly and packaged well.

The Intel 7260 AC wireless card was pretty easy to install in the Lenovo Y510p. One screw holds in the wireless card, and since the 7260 AC is 2x2 you don't need to do any antenna modifications. I don't know if you need a modded BIOS to allow the particular 7260 AC that I got. I did anyways as it provides some additional benefits.

Thank you for the tip and for pointing me in the right direction. I will probably be ordering the card you linked. Do you have any reservations after having used it for a while?

Thanks

My BIOS is modded, but I upgraded the wireless card in my Lenovo Y510p to an Intel 7260 AC. My range has increased quite a bit along with throughput. I'll likely be picking up an AC router in a couple of months when the next revision of the ASUS AC rolls around.

I picked up my Intel 7260 AC wireless card on Amazon. It was pretty cheap, delivered quickly and packaged well.

The Intel 7260 AC wireless card was pretty easy to install in the Lenovo Y510p. One screw holds in the wireless card, and since the 7260 AC is 2x2 you don't need to do any antenna modifications. I don't know if you need a modded BIOS to allow the particular 7260 AC that I got. I did anyways as it provides some additional benefits.

Hi Kwaz, This is exactly what I'm hoping to do. Rolling back to v2.07 bios from v3.05, then modding to whitelist my y510p for the 7260 AC. Did you run into any problems whitelisting? Any advice would be helpful. Thx

this is indeed the case, even intel forums are flooded with the 2230 issues, all Intel in general is doing is forwarding end users to the system manufacturer. It appears to be driver issue on intel.

Why would you do this white list nonsense to a machine intended for power users anyways?

serious questions:

- anybody knows if I'm voiding warranty with flashing the Bios?

- Also what is the success rate with this, appears to be quite high however I would really hate to brick my machine.

thanks

I, possibly foolishly, started with Lenovo support and asked them about whitelisting. After being put on hold to talk to a supervisor several times I was told in a shakey voice that any mods *might* void the warranty, including updating the wifi card to one that isn't whitelisted.

I have a new Jan 2014) Y510 with the Intel 7620 card. Id LIKE to use this laptop with my new AC router (netgear Nighthawk) Would I see an massive increase in throughput that would make it worthwhile? Lookin for honest opinions here

Okay, so, from what i can gather from this thread, some of the 7260 AC cards are whitelisted, and some aren't. Does any of you guys know which are? Mainly asking because i should be recieving my y510p later today, and want to swap the wifi card immediately, and it would be nice if i could just do it without having to flash the BIOS first. :P

I'm looking to get a Y510, how did you get one with the new card? Or maybe a better question is where?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

It is a matter of luck for now. You have to look for couple of online sellers. However, mobile Wifi cards such as Intel 7260 are fairly cheap to swap with the existing.

Hi Kwaz, This is exactly what I'm hoping to do. Rolling back to v2.07 bios from v3.05, then modding to whitelist my y510p for the 7260 AC. Did you run into any problems whitelisting? Any advice would be helpful. Thx

Nope! No issues. It's pretty straightforward. Just follow the instructions carefully

Best of luck Trunk!