Lenovo Y510p wireless card

DyinAngel

Got my 7260 HMW today, I tried changing out the card without hacking the Bios just to see and yup error "unauthorized wireless network card is plugged in" confirmed.... I'll have to start the unlock Bios process... update after

Update:

I've successfully unlock the Y510P BIOS thx to svl7 http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/4668-lenovo-y410p-y510p-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-vbios-mod.html

2230 out 7260 in! Enjoying 5Ghz and wifi being stable. Only set back is the "Sleep" function not working properly as many others are experiencing.

melegbalint:

You might have to bite the bullet and change your card out.

Update:

I've successfully unlock the Y510P BIOS thx to svl7 http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/4668-lenovo-y410p-y510p-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-vbios-mod.html

2230 out 7260 in! Enjoying 5Ghz and wifi being stable. Only set back is the "Sleep" function not working properly as many others are experiencing.

melegbalint:

Is seems thats the only way, I have to buy 7260 soon, this 2230 is really horrible.

Update:

melegbalint:

What's the latest on the sleep issue anyways? I've been had the issue start for me as well...

as posted before, you can partially solve the issue by rolling back to the default MS driver 14.8.8.75 uninstalling the Intel one. This worked fine for me since i wasn't too happy about flashing my bios. The funny thing is you cant roll that far back after you upgrade your 8 to 8.1. the default driver is the 16.X.X.X driver which is suffering from the same issue. I haven't found a way to install the 14.8.8.75 since I can't find it anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

My card would disappear from device manager and it would take a hundred reboots, safe mode, uninstall/reinstall drivers and software, etc just to get it to work for another few minutes. Lenovo really needs to reconsider their whitelist or provide viable upgrade options ASAP.

I'm so happy I found this site. I had thought I was going crazy with the wireless issues. I even ended up buying a new router (It was time anyways, and got to upgrade to a nice new ASUS AC router) as my initial google searches didn't seem to pull up anything. I'm going to try installing the Intel AC7260 card I picked up and see if it works once I get access to the BIOS mods. I will post back with how well it works on an enterprise network too (I'm the network admin for a gaming company and we just updated our cisco system with new AC modules!!)

My card would disappear from device manager and it would take a hundred reboots, safe mode, uninstall/reinstall drivers and software, etc just to get it to work for another few minutes. Lenovo really needs to reconsider their whitelist or provide viable upgrade options ASAP.

Lenovo wants you to buy the more expensive models and to reduce product returns and calls to the call center, that's where the community power comes in to turn the balance to our side. They'll never change... otherwise they will have to charge more for their products

I would also like to know that answer. I've got another laptop with the 2230 wifi, and it seems a little better. I think it may just be a combination of drivers and card. Sometimes I've found that older drivers work better. But good luck getting it all to work with your WiDi (if you use that).

I would also like to know that answer. I've got another laptop with the 2230 wifi, and it seems a little better. I think it may just be a combination of drivers and card. Sometimes I've found that older drivers work better. But good luck getting it all to work with your WiDi (if you use that).

I tried a Broadcom card - IBM FRU 04W3764 (20200099) on a y510p. I had no luck. Same unauthorized card error.

Why lenovo is blocking or putting a hardware white list, it's just don't make sense...I think the y400/410 and y500/510 are pretty good but Lenovo is locking some real good stuff... I dont know, I really like my y400 and I think my issues are minor but will love to see some improvement from lenovo to future models...

Apparently the dualband ac 7260 is the ideal wireless card for upgrading a y series laptop. I was actually glad to find out how many people are flashing their bios to run a 7260, because I would rather not have to research price and performance of a number of different cards, and on top of it, now its not risky to do since so many people have confirmed that the 7260 causes no issues.