Switching between 750m and 4600m on the y510p when unplugged

Aulex

Has anyone been able to figure out how to switch either manually or automatically between the 4600m and 750m when the laptop is unplugged. It seems that whenever anything graphically intensive is run the laptop relies on the 4600m instead of switching to the 750m, it makes sense power saving wise, but if i don't care about saving power it can be quite frustrating.

I would love an answer to this too. Games are almost unplayable with the power unplugged. I don't remember where I saw this but I read somewhere that when it's unplugged it still uses the 750m, but super under clocked and you'd be better off using the hd 4600. Either way, I'd love to have manual control over it

As far as I know, the battery is unable to supply enough power for gaming performance so you will always have crap performance when gaming on battery. It's pretty common on laptops.

With that said, have you tried looking through the nvidia control panel. There are some options that lets you choose the 750m over the integrated graphics.

• 1 month later...

You can disable the gt750m in device manager (it works without restart). then it will always use hd4600, which has much better performance on battery than underclocked gt750m. I don't think that there is any way to increase gt750m clock when on battery

But that doesn't always work. For example, dota2 always uses nvidia card (there exist some API that can be used to force nvidia graphics when running on optimus regardless of settings), even if I set it to use integrated graphics, only way to use hd4600 in dota2 is by disabling nvidia card in device manager

As far as I know the hd4600 on the Y510 can't be used due to hardware limitations. So you're stuck to using the GT750m even on battery mode. Hope this helps.

You're thinking of Y500. It cannot use Intel GPU with or without SLI. Y510p can use both GPUs, but only if there's no additional GPU in Ultrabay.

@DougQuaid I just checked and I get the same behaviour regarding DOTA2 on my Y580. Weird.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the best way to go would be to use the intel card on battery indeed. The nvidia card won't perform very well with the battery, and combined with the so-so battery you won't have great gaming performance on the go with the nvidia.

Btw, the intel card is imo very good. It is able to run guild wars 2 perfectly with lowest graphics.

• 1 month later...