8970m problems in my m17x R3

San Pedro

Alright, I installed 8970m in alienware m17x r3 last night. I started up went into the BIOS and disabled the IGP and set the display to PEG. I restarted and got 6 beeps. Disappointed to say the least. However, I persevered (maybe not what my wife would say) and cleared CMOS, which allowed me to reenable my IGP and set the display back to SG.

So, I then could go back into Windows and the card is detected by HWinfo and device manager, but when I install a driver and restart windows I see nothing on the display though windows loads up, and I can sign in.

I tried to output to my TV via HDMI and VGA, but neither worked. Later today, time pending, I will try a monitor via VGA, but I highly doubt it will work.

So, it seems like I don't have the right vbios? Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thank you everyone.

I hope he can. I searched high and low for people using the 8970s in Alienwares, but there wasn't much... There were a couple people who said they did, but disappeared with giving details. Anyway, I'm trying to be optimistic, it'll be a pain in the butt to ship back, etc.. etc..., but life goes on.

[uPDATE]

After trying a couple different vbios, eurocom sent me one that worked. I was dreading 6 beeps after disabling the IGP, but much to my relief I booted into windows.

The vbios that worked for me is hbr44618.001

Look for that one if you're putting a 4gb 8970m into an R3.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I try to install one HD8970m to my Alienware 17x-R3, but i have some problems like [MENTION=17268]San Pedro[/MENTION](It is the same card edition HD8970m with 4GB RAM).

I use the A12 bios from Dell.

The first time, i choose the SG option from bios. The system boot normally (from integrated Intel Vga) and find the new device. Then i install the drivers and the system reboot. After that, when it load windows 7, the screen become black. I understand that the system work fine, because i hear the sounds from windows and i can close the system normally, from the keyboard keys.

When i select, from bios the PEG option, the system start with horizontal color flickering lines over the screen. Windows work fine, except that you can not understand nothing because of this distortion of the screen.

Unfortunately my vbios is HBR44618.001 and as it seem, that does not work for me.

Anyone has an idea?

If I remember right, I was able to get into Windows (using SG) even after trying to install AMD drivers with the HBR44618.001. With the other two vbios I was getting black screen when going into windows. With PEG selected I didn't have any problems (except my VGA out doesn't work). Also, I never experienced any color flickering lines or distortion on the screen through the whole process. It may be a problem with the card.

Another thing you may want to try is unlocked A10 or A12 bios.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...