Y500 customization(and other PC's) firger print on the case fix

savas

Hello, I might be not the only one, that was really annoyed with the firger prints all over the pc when using it. And because i like my pc to be clean I did this:

L1120265.jpg

L1120266.jpg

I personally think this looks even better than before! This is a cheap upgrade, you need a hair fan, the carbon film and some sharp scalpels or a razor... and here you go!

My brother and I have the y510p, and have been contemplating doing something like this as well. I was wondering if anyone has seen a clear film that would work with this, and if not where could I find some awesome films (preferably all from the same place for the sake of simplicity)?

Very nice work! I'm particularly bothered by the gloss bezel of this Y510p. So much so that I've considered painting it haha! This is probably a better idea though.

As others have requested - where did you get your vinyl? Is it of good quality and do you recommend getting it there?

Hello, well I got my film from a local guy in my country, but you can find it on ebay, it is quite cheap there. There are several different films, MATT, collored immitation (like carbon) and etc, also some films clame to have some sort of micro holes for the bubbles to come out (that would be awesome) because it is not an easy task to cover big areas with the film without bubbles, dust and other trash may get on the area magically and it will be a pain in the ass to remove, so if you find the one with the hole thing, buy that one.

Ignas

Did you use something like this? I'm interested in trying it so I can get rid of the fingerprint marks but I'm not sure I trust myself to do it properly haha

How hard was it to get the edges done properly and how long did it take?

Wish it'd work with the greasy touchpad,

Dan

yea, I think that's the same film i used. It took me about 2 hours, you can search for videos on youtube how they use the film, it was a bit a pain in the ass with the screen because it is big, so avoinding dust and other micro elements is hard. the edges are okay if you glue them good, i mean using the hot fan and forcing the film on the edge. But the most important part was to cut the film nicely, believe me, for the rounded places you really need a very sharp razor or scalpel.

Ignas

If you REALLY hate the gloss around the lcd, dissasemble it ant paint it :) use air sprayed paint or an airbrush, or just find people in your country that sell the carbon film, i think you will manage to do that with no problem, i still do not have time to do this with my y500 because I am currently working on a project:

• 3 months later...

Original KH Special Laptop black Carbon Protector Cover Skin Fit for Lenovo Y500

Search for that and you'll have your cover.

Thanks so much for pointing me in this direction... Those fingerprints and smudges are awful.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Yes it is auto-adhesive, make sure it is microperforated for a easier application (no bubbles). I'd wrapped some laptops and there is a huge difference between microperforated and no-microperforated vinyls. Also is good to use a hairdryer to finish the edges.