Y510 Ultrabay Extended Battery

Kwaz

Hey All,

Having bought a new Lenovo Y510P SLI a few weeks ago, like most of us in the know I wanted to get Onboard Graphics rolling. This got me to thinking, why not get a bigger battery too! Unfortunately there aren't any extended 9 Cell Batteries available for the Lenovo Y510P. But there is an Ultrabay Battery Available that works with older Lenovo Thinkpads and Ideapads that have Ultrabays. The Ultrabay Battery is 3 Cells FYI, so it could offer a significant battery life improvement.

The Lenovo Y510P has a 9.5mm Ultrabay Slot. So for Hard Drive / HDD Caddies, ODD / Optical Disc Drives and Ultrabay Accessories the height you'll want to look for is 9.5mm. The Ultrabay on other Lenovo Products varies in height. The Ultrabay in the Lenovo Ideapad Y510P is the "Ultrabay Slim" type according to my research which 9.5mm tall.

Since the 9 cell hump back / camel battery isn't available as previously mentioned, I hopped on eBay and found a new Ultrabay Slim Battery Accessory which was around $30 unused shipped. When it finally arrived, I tore the sucker open, but came to find that the plugs on the back are quite different, don't match up to to what's inside and don't align to boot. So though it fits in the slot, there's nothing for the back of the Ultrabay Battery to plug into inside of the Y510P.

I'm unsure if there's a way to modify this. Perhaps there's a way to add an adapter of sorts? Either something to plug onto the back of the battery and plug that contraption into the Ultrabay, or something that I can put inside of the Ultrabay so that it plugs in correctly and can be used.

A word of caution for those who do order it for a whirl at making something work - the Ultrabay latch does not function properly and it's a pain to get the battery back out of the Ultrabay slot. It's doable, just scary if you don't have the persistence and tools.

If anyone has any tips, news of a proper Y510P extended battery or anything of the sort that'd be fantastic.

Happy modding!

- K

• 2 weeks later...
Sounds scary! There's probably no simple solution here. If you could get a cheap ultrabay battery pack that's dead, you could replace the cells easier than modifying the wrong ultrabay case to fit. Just my two cents...

It's not that the cells are dead. There's just no way for it to link up inside. I read in another thread somewhere earlier today that because of the interface Lenovo uses (some kind of custom 8x PCIE internal jumper and sata connection) that powering the laptop via the Ultrabay isn't doable with it's existing connections. So, while there isn't a way to slide it in and have everything be hunky-dory, I suppose one might be able to mod something.

That being said, I don't know if I really want to get into that and risk frying something forcing volts up something that they don't belong haha!

My guess is that removing the SLI video card and installing Intel graphic drivers after rebooting will fix your issue but I'm not sure...

bob I'm not sure how this relates? This isn't a SLI issue.