Lenovo Y510p Possible to ugrade Graphic Cards?

JSeymour421

Yep. Not doable.

I'd imagine that you could perhaps run an upgraded graphics card in the Ultrabay, but with SLI running the other card would be downclocked to match. BUT, now I do wonder what would happen... or if you can say swap in faster ultrabay graphics and disable in soldered graphics. Maybe in the future there will be a GTX Ultrabay Graphics Option.

Yep. Not doable.

I'd imagine that you could perhaps run an upgraded graphics card in the Ultrabay, but with SLI running the other card would be downclocked to match. BUT, now I do wonder what would happen... or if you can say swap in faster ultrabay graphics and disable in soldered graphics. Maybe in the future there will be a GTX Ultrabay Graphics Option.

This is impossible because everything rendered by the Ultrabay GPU still has to go through the internal GPU before it reaches the display. The Ultrabay is not able to output directly to the display. It is only a slave card to the main GPU.

This is impossible because everything rendered by the Ultrabay GPU still has to go through the internal GPU before it reaches the display. The Ultrabay is not able to output directly to the display. It is only a slave card to the main GPU.

But doesn't it all get fed through the intel card anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that what Kwaz said is still possible (although I'll need to do more research first).

Excellent point! I forgot about that.

But doesn't it all get fed through the intel card anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that what Kwaz said is still possible (although I'll need to do more research first).

Yes but there is no connection between the Intel iGPU and the Ultrabay GPU. As far as I know it goes like this: Ultrabay GPU > main GPU > Intel iGPU > display.

The point is there is no way to upgrade because only the soldered-on GPU can be primary. If somehow it could be disabled and everything could go through the Ultrabay, then maybe it's possible, but then Lenovo would have to come out with a 770M or 780M Ultrabay to exceed the performance of 750M SLI. We know that's never going to happen and the tiny Ultrabay fan won't even be able cool a GPU like that adequately, as it can hardly handle the heat of the 750M as it is.

Yes but there is no connection between the Intel iGPU and the Ultrabay GPU. As far as I know it goes like this: Ultrabay GPU > main GPU > Intel iGPU > display.

The point is there is no way to upgrade because only the soldered-on GPU can be primary. If somehow it could be disabled and everything could go through the Ultrabay, then maybe it's possible, but then Lenovo would have to come out with a 770M or 780M Ultrabay to exceed the performance of 750M SLI. We know that's never going to happen and the tiny Ultrabay fan won't even be able cool a GPU like that adequately, as it can hardly handle the heat of the 750M as it is.

I might be confusing technologies, but doesn't optimus work in a simiar way to the lucidlogix virtu setup of z68 era where the video data from the secondary card (in this case the nvidia card) gets sent through the PCI-E bus?