Lenovo Y410p touch pad spasm with lid closed fix?

wtlobster

I don't know if anyone else if having this problem. When I set my laptop to do nothing with the lid closed, the mouse would start to spaz uncontrollably, moving icons, opening programs. The only fix I have so far is to disable the touch pad before closing the lid, which gets pretty annoying.

Very Strange. I don't have that issue with my Y510P running the V1.09 Bios.

If you're using an external mouse when the lid is closed you can set up the touchpad to disable itself when an external pointing device is plugged in via USB. If you don't already, to do this you'll need the ELAN Pointing Device drivers installed (Lenovo Y510P Touchpad Drivers for Windows 7 32-Bit and 64-Bit from Lenovo / Lenovo Y510P Touchpad Drivers for Windows 8 64_Bit from Lenovo). Once you've done this, in Windows 7 go to: Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Mouse (Under Devices and Printers). This will bring up and new window and within there you want to navigate to the tab called "ELAN" with the Red Favicon. Within that tab you'll find a selection that says "Disable when External USB pointing device plug in" (Such bad English... sigh). Clicking this should turn off the touchpad automatically once you plug in an external pointer (mouse, trackball, etc) which I imagine is what you're doing and watching movies or whatever.

Unfortunately I don't know how to do this in Windows 8. You'll have to do some trial and error to see if you can do something similar if you'd like. I know this doesn't fix your phantom pointer problem, but hopefully it's a applicable workaround that'll keep things easy until you find a fix.

Best of luck!

- K

This sounds more like a driver issue to me. Are you using the lenovo supplied drivers for your touchpad? I got much better performance, and more features out of the driver that I got straight from synaptics website. It pretty much fixed everything i hated about that touchpad.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having also the same problem with my y410p, havent found a fix, it's so bothersome, specially when i'm playing games or watching movies on my TV. I've used the Elan Lenovo Drivers, and right now im using an Asus driver for elan (which gives more features) still the random clicks and movement persists when closing the lid.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi there, I have this exactly problem in my Lenovo Y510P. When I close the lid, everytime after exactly 2 minutes, the mouse starts to click. For example, if I hover the mouse over a .mp3 file, and then close the lid, after 2 minutes, the laptop starts to play it, as if I would had performed a double-click. It also zooms in-out in Chrome.

I have the factory drivers of touchpad ELAN (the rest of the drivers are updated) and BIOS v3.05 rev 3.7.

And talking about ELAN touchpad, I've found that Synaptics driver have a option to select a dead-zone. I'd like have that too, cause I don't want the click buttons to be a touch zone, but ELAN drivers don't have this feature. Can I install Synaptics or UltraNav, even though I have ELAN hardware?

This last question is important because my laptop says " this driver is not recommended and your computer may stop working completely". So the "completely" thing doesn't attract me too much..."

Thanks!

I had just sent my Y410p into Lenovo's service center for repair to fix some sort of power problem with the main board. Anyways when it came back the touchpad was all messed up even though they didn't touch the hard drive. No multitouch, real slow sensitivity and slight spazzing. Turned out the drivers/ELAN had somehow disappeared, and installing them from the Lenovo site fixed it right up.

So if you still haven't done that, you should. They have three listed there for the Y410p, just make sure you click the right one for whatever OS you're on. (7,8,8.1)

• 2 weeks later...