EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
dsh761

Y510P GT 750M SLI----How can I use Intel HD 4600 under SLI model?

Hi everyone. I'm new here. My laptop is Y510p gt750m SLI. Recently I want to use the intel 4600 graphic card to save my battery. But I can only install the intel drive with the second gt750m pulling out from ultrabay. When I plug in the second GT750m, I can not find intel 4600 any more. So how can I make SLI and the intel 4600 coexist in my system?

Same problem with Y500 SLI conf. I cant confirm this for the Y510P, but with the Y500 the HD card is disabled.

Try turning off SLI and see if you can activate Optimus from the nvidia controll center. If you are not able to activate it, then the Y510P probebly has the same problem as the Y500 :(

Oh, heh.. i rly should learn to read posts all the way through :D Um, well.. i answered your question in the post before this. Disable the SLI configuration from the nvidia controll center and the HD card should turn up. If it dosent, then the HD card gets disabled from a hardware level when the 2nd card gets connected :/ Sorry bro!

I think that was the issue with the Lenovo y510p SLI, that it loses its capability to do Optimus. Everyone who has the y510p makes the same sacrifice. Maybe some modded bios online could solve your problems?

Thanks for your reply. I disabled sli in nvidia control center and the HD 4600 did not show up. Maybe I should unlock the bios to have a try. I am very disappointed when I ran out of my battery after about one hour. y510p always uses the GT750M instead of the HD 4600. I bought a laptop not a desktop, I need reduce the power consumption when I can not find a power supply.

I hope that the modded bios will allow this. I did the same mod that you did (taking out the secondary Ultrabay card and installing the onboard graphics drivers). That worked like a charm. But I haven't found a way to switch to Optimus with two cards docked yet. I'd imagine there's gotta be some kind of way to make this happen in software. But it could be a ~hardware issue since the ultrbay graphics aren't hot swappable.

If you find something out do let me know!

I know that the Alienware 18 can enable the 4600, so maybe we should ask AW 18 owners?

Yes Alienware 18 users can do this. But they have to manually disable the two GPU's and switch to the iGPU. See here:

Alienware includes switchable graphics in the 18; since Optimus doesn't work in SLI, the two GPUs have to be manually disabled and the system has to switch to the Intel HD 4600 graphics. Of course, the problem is that the battery still has to power an 18.4" display, and the notebook itself is still twelve pounds, so the feature (and the test results) feel at least a little academic.

However, automatic graphics switching AKA Optimus is still impossible due to SLI. Optimus will never work with SLI. Those of you who keep asking need to get this drilled into your head right now. Being able to manually select and use the Intel GPU is not the same thing as Optimus.

Yes Alienware 18 users can do this. But they have to manually disable the two GPU's and switch to the iGPU. See here:

However, automatic graphics switching AKA Optimus is still impossible due to SLI. Optimus will never work with SLI. Those of you who keep asking need to get this drilled into your head right now. Being able to manually select and use the Intel GPU is not the same thing as Optimus.

I think that many are confused with Optimus and utilizing the integrated GPU. I made the error of using the word "Optimus" myself a few times. Optimus is the auto graphics switching software, not the utilization of the integrated graphics.

Thanks for your reply and correct. What do you mean by manually disable the 2 GPUs? I already disabled the second GT 750 though Computer-Manage-Device manager, but I am unable to use HD 4600. Should I disable both of GT 750? I am afraid I would see a black screen and nothing more.:peaceful:

hey,Kwaz. Have you tried the modded bios in the forum? Cuz I do not have permission to download it.

Sounds like the y560p of past, its iGPU from Sandy was disabled internally on the die of the I7, dumb really? Especially if Intel dropped the iGPU from the Core i series (not going to happen i know) they could have some serious power in a relatively small form factor, if i remember correctly almost 2/3 of the silicon on Haswell consists soley of the HD (insert # here) Graphics.

I have made the HD4600 works.

If you are the SLI version, remove the second GT750M from the Ultrabay and then reboot.

after reboot, install the HD4600 driver and you will be able to see HD4600 working.

crossday is correct. Probably this is the only way to use HD4600. Integrated graphic is not unrecognizable with SLI from OS.

if i remember correctly almost 2/3 of the silicon on Haswell consists soley of the HD (insert # here) Graphics.

It's more like 1/5, so it's not that bad. Also, it's very useful considering it's power saving potential. Especially with Haswell architecture, which is more power efficient with mobile systems (in the long run).

Hey dsh761. I have the modded bios for the Y510p installed now. It runs great. I tried toying around with some GPU settings in the bios and it wouldn't boot correctly, so I'm not sure if it's possible to do this from a bios perspective. I have tried the manual method of taking the Ultrabay GT750M out, installing the IGPU driver and that works. It'd be awesome to get it working with the click of a button but I'm not sure that's possible.

Once you install the IGPU graphics driver you just need to turn the machine off, take out the battery and switch to Ultrabay graphics in or out to use / not use the IGPU. It's manual, but beats spooling up discreet GPU's for office work. Especially if you're on the road.

Core-graphic may not be able to run under SLI mode. I tried to take off ultrabay 750m and I got 4600 online. But i don't think it is meaningful to run 4600 under SLI. Can you disable one 750m in Computer Management so that 4600 may appear?

I have unlocked the bios and I can see some setting about graphics there.

I guess it would be achievable that only have 1 750M+4600 online even the ultrybay are with the 2nd 750m.

Anyway we are discussing about how to make it works with 1 750M+4600 online when 2nd 750M are plugged in but not 2 750M+4600

SLI can never be worked with Optimus!

Thanks for your reply and correct. What do you mean by manually disable the 2 GPUs? I already disabled the second GT 750 though Computer-Manage-Device manager, but I am unable to use HD 4600. Should I disable both of GT 750? I am afraid I would see a black screen and nothing more.:peaceful:

I tried disabling both of them and I still had image, however I still couldn't see the Intel HD card. I wanted to try Widi but without being able to switch to the intel card, I cant even install the software.

how is it possible to save battery life? do we need to disable the second card from device manager? does that even turn it off? or do we have to completely eject I? even after we disable SLI, card probably still consuming power right? so many questions :)

You take out the ultrabay card and switch to the onboard graphics which saves power. It's supposed to add another hour or two or something like that.

It switches automatically. It will use Intel GPU for pretty much everything except games. You can set which GPU to use in which app, and you can monitor when Nvidia GPU is used by a taskbar icon.

I took out the ultrabay 750M card and indeed the system switch automatically, however, when I game is using the Intel card and not the single 750M, trying to find the options to set it.

It switches automatically. It will use Intel GPU for pretty much everything except games. You can set which GPU to use in which app, and you can monitor when Nvidia GPU is used by a taskbar icon.

what Icon is that?