svl7

Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

Hi,

i have been locked out of bios

there is a supervisor password. i didn't set a password for my bios ever, so it may have been set on the last bios update automatically.

i want to flash it using a bootable disk, but the tools that i used up until now haven't worked.

my Back Flash is disabled. i want to know that with backflash disabled, can i use this method to flash an older version of the bios?

This is exactly what I'm looking for. Eyeing to buy Intel 7260 AC too. Going to try it after I get some free time.

On 1/22/2018 at 10:33 PM, Klem said:

For enable safeguard against meltdown, you need install Windows update only.

For enable safeguard against spectre, you need install Windows update and new CPU microcode. In laptop Lenovo Y410p / Y510p we can see Haswell CPU, for that CPU Intel already present new microcode 23, with spectre/meltdown fix. Therefore, if it's needed, we can change in any bios versions the old microcode to the new one, any time now.

Many many months after Intel issued probably final microcode-update-guidance

2018-04-02

https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/04/microcode-update-guidance.pdf

2018-08-02

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/sa00115-microcode-update-guidance.pdf

It is "safe" to say that fix is stable enough for modding it in - I volunteer my laptop as guinea pig for The Fix.

Edited by mathorv

On 8/22/2018 at 10:13 PM, Couce Blunt said:

Hi, I had a question about this BIOS mod. Does this allow me to undervolt the main GPU? (Not the Ultrabay one) I didn't see anything for that in the BIOS screenshots, that's why I'm asking.

Also, I have already upgraded to BIOS v3.08. Using the link you have provided, will I be able to undervolt the main GPU?

Can I flash the unlocked Ultrabay VBIOS along with the provided 3.08 mod link? Or will I have any compatibility issues?

Even I want to undervolt Primary 755m. (Non SLI)

Do I need to Flash Bios & Vbios provided?

or just the Bios? 

Thanks

@Donz7733Undervolting of GPU is done by software NVidia Inspector (I'm also using it for undervolting). You can download and install this software and try to undervolt your GPU. If it is not possible - probably you need to flash your bios like in the first post manual. As you don't like to undervolt Ultrabay GPU (or maybe you don't have it at all), it is not necessary to  flash VBios from second post of this topic (because it is only for SLI users).

13 hours ago, MADNESSS said:

@Donz7733Undervolting of GPU is done by software NVidia Inspector (I'm also using it for undervolting). You can download and install this software and try to undervolt your GPU. If it is not possible - probably you need to flash your bios like in the first post manual. As you don't like to undervolt Ultrabay GPU (or maybe you don't have it at all), it is not necessary to  flash VBios from second post of this topic (because it is only for SLI users).

Thanks. 

Was searching this topic yesterday and flashed the Bios. Using Nvidia Inspector now.

Edited by Donz7733

Saw this thread and went ahead and bought a 7260 to try it out, now I can't wait for it to get here. Absolutely wonderful write up thank you!

Hello, so I decided to upgrade my y510p laptop which has i54200m and a single gt 755m card to i7 4700mq, and a 2nd gt 755m, I already have the modded v3.05 bios installed as presented in the 1st post of this topic, so now I only need to update bios for ultrabay gpu from 2nd post (Ultra Bay VBIOS for [v3.05]_modified.zip) and im fine? Or is there more to do? Im also upgrading to 170w ac adapter. Thank you for your help

On 11/19/2018 at 11:02 PM, lenovo188 said:

Hello, so I decided to upgrade my y510p laptop which has i54200m and a single gt 755m card to i7 4700mq, and a 2nd gt 755m, I already have the modded v3.05 bios installed as presented in the 1st post of this topic, so now I only need to update bios for ultrabay gpu from 2nd post (Ultra Bay VBIOS for [v3.05]_modified.zip) and im fine? Or is there more to do? Im also upgrading to 170w ac adapter. Thank you for your help

Thats it. You are good to go. 

Even I have a 4200m and single 755. Will try to upgrade it if I get them for low price.

Hello! I decided to upgrade my WIFI 2300 to 7260ac. I made a dump, replaced 370 line, assembled it on a USB flash drive, and when upgrading from 3.05, I get an error 201 ftp

Is the AC 7260 the best adapter possible on y510p?

HELP! Step 1. What should I do with this error?

1.jpg

command.exe with administrator privilegies.

The question is removed, it was necessary in the settings (properties) fptw64.exe put a tick Run on behalf of the Administrator

new space: the bios.bin file is not migrated to BiosFixer_2.0

when I drag a file, the crossed out circle is in the program window. What to do?

I managed..... Modrator, attach the link in the header, this makes it easier all the way through the topic, although the instruction is in Spanish 

It works perfectly. Thanks so much! Is there a chance you will modify for bios v3.08 as well? Thanks in advance.

Never mind, I found moded 3.08 here: https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/12014-lenovo-y410py510p-bios-mod-to-enable-nvidia-egpu-support/

Greetings dear friends, I have a Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p desktop computer, and I can’t adjust the RAM frequency through BIOS, by default it stands at 1333 Hz, and I wanted it at 1600 Hz. How can I increase the frequency, can anyone help me to make a modernized BIOS for my PC?

Does anyone happen to have a new link to the ultrabay vbios? The one in post 2 appears to be a dead link.

On 1/6/2019 at 5:33 AM, mikefromdot said:

Does anyone happen to have a new link to the ultrabay vbios? The one in post 2 appears to be a dead link.

Hi!

Right now I checked link in post 2. It's worked without any problems.

On 1/7/2019 at 7:19 AM, Klem said:

Hi!

Right now I checked link in post 2. It's worked without any problems.

Hi there! 

It's weird, it didn't work for me either.. Gives this kind of message

Screenshot_20190110-084736.jpg

Hi,

So I'm trying to fix the dedicated graphics on my y410p, since it's getting a code 43. I've tried everything from installing the recommended legacy drivers, to installing windows 8.1 (which the laptop came with), and I've also installed linux to no avail. This bios mod is my last resort, I'm looking to install it and see if I can undervolt it to see whether it's just unstable at stock speeds. If anyone can offer advice that'd be wonderful. I'm fairly certain the dedicated gt 755m is dead, but I figure this is worth a shot. I'm learning something new anyway.

Posted (edited)

Successfully followed instructions to mod BIOS (v3.05) and installation of Intel AC 7260 (upgraded from N 7260), on Y510p running Windows 10.

Difficulties, Solutions (all to the credit of TI members) and Suggestions:

-suggestion: Subscribe to the $6/month TI Elite membership so you can download instantly w/out having to comment .

-suggestion: download the driver for your new WiFi card before you begin but esp. before installing your WiFi card.

-suggestion: unzip files to new folder in C:\ drive so when you have to type paths in cmd prompt they are short easy.  (i.e. C:\biosmod\USBtool (subfolders for ind. downloads))

-diff creating bootable USB, click "Start" on Format tool got error message. Solved- I clicked OK (closed error message) and then clicked "Start" again.

-Step 1 where is Admin Command Prompt? Solve open Task Manager, File, Run new task, check "Create this task with Administrative privileges," then OK

-Step 1 run Fptw64 tool. Solve. change directory (i.e. type  cd C:\biosmod\Fptw64tool\Fptw64_(8_series), Enter then type backup.bat, Enter. "bios.bin" file appears in same folder as .bat file

-Step 2 After download of zip, you will unzip the "Lenovo Y510p-Y410p [v3.05] modified" files to your created subfolder and then move the contents of folder 1 to your USB disk

-Step 2 then you run the Bios Fixer in folder 2 and drag your "bios.bin" file into the white square which creates your v305mod.bin file in same folder then move that to USB disk

-Step 3 you have to Enable Bios Backflash or error. To open computers BIOS menu at startup. Shutdown computer and then start and immediately hold down F2 to open BIOS menu.

-!!while you are in BIOS menu you also need to change Boot Mode to Legacy to boot from your prepared USB disk

-everything else was easy just pay attention to svl7 instructions.

- here is the wifi card I bought https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MGH2JN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by N8Jack

Thanks. I want try it on my y510p.But i don't know how to downgrade the firmware back to v2.07.