I own gx740 with i5-430m, 4GB RAM, and I planned to do some upgrades.
Currently I did:
- upgrade SSD, move HDD to dvd drive space
- have some unlocked bios (but didn't found usage for it currently)
- have modified vbios but not sure if the values I've used are good
I was thinking about:
- upgrading CPU to i7-640M
- upgrading RAM (not sure which will fit)
I would like to also:
- fix broken/cracked frame around screen, but it wont be easy and cheap I guess?
- replace screen to something brighter (?) but this will probably not be worth the cost
1) What do you guys think about it? Is it even worth?
2) I've also see something like 'grain effect' moving grey stripes on same page elements (long time I remember it could be related to faulty bios/vbios)?
I'm debating whether or not to replace the thermal paste in my Lenovo y510p. I've started overclocking a bit, and I have an external fan, but I would like to not have to run the fan as fast because it is a little loud. I have been reading a bit about different thermal pastes, and I'm wondering if there is even a big difference between stock thermal paste, and something like the liquid metal from thermal grizzly. It sounds like it'd work better, but I don't want to fall for a good marketing scheme. If anyone has experience with this and has or hasn't seen big differences, your input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
I recently bought the new Toshiba RC100 m.2 2242 NVMe SSD for my Lenovo Y510p which has an m.2 port in it.
After installation the SSD wasn't showing up in my BIOS and also not on my OS Win 10 disk management. So I did a bit of research and installed mod BIOS for my Y510p by following the steps in the link: ( https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/3546-lenovo-y410p-y510p-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-vbios-mod/ )
There are a lot more options in the BIOS menu now.
Even after doing the mod it's not showing up. The SSD works on my friend's "new 2017 dell gaming laptop" which has m.2 ssd support in it. I don't know what exactly to configure my BIOS to make it work. I've just done some hit-and-trial configs which have eventually failed.
If someone can help solve it Pleasee!!
P.S. : I can share all the available options available in the BIOS if required.