Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

I have done this, and it works wonderfully. I can get 4-5 hours of battery life on power saver mode just browsing the web and watching videos, until I plug the ultra-bay graphics card in again to game. It is now getting quite annoying to switch between "power saving" and "power hog", as each transition requires a shutdown, removal of battery and swapping in or out of the ultra-bay. Is there any way to selectively disable the GTX750's from the OS and switch between them and Intel graphics 4600? Or will I have to keep switching out my second GTX 750? I am a hardware guy so I can help see if this is possible from a hardware standpoint, but the writing & understanding the inner working's of software (Except for Amtel microcontrollers) is my weak point.

Also;

I may have uncovered a bug... I installed my shiny new 7260 (it's been awesome so far!) but now my computer won't sleep with either closing the lid or hitting the sleep button. When I hit the sleep button, it looks like it goes to sleep for like half a second (keyboard back light goes off and the power button blinks once) but it immediately turns back on after that.

You should be able to fix this rather easily. Your new 7260 is waking up your computer right after it goes to sleep for some reason. what you will need to do is find the 7260 in device manager, go to Properties> Power management, and deselect "Allow this device to wake this computer". This should fix your problem.

Oh, and thanks slv7 for the bios mod. Works perfectly on my rig. Now if only I can figure out how to manually control the fan speed as well....

No, my USB ports died. (I recived a new motherboard with 2.07 BIOS, but i have a Killer 1202, and now, i cant use it :( Can you make me a modify? I dont need vbios mod or something else, just a whitelist mod. bios.bin - Speedy Share - upload your files here - this is my BIOS backup.

- - - Updated - - -

No, my USB ports died. (I recived a new motherboard with 2.07 BIOS, but i have a Killer 1202, and now, i cant use it :( Can you make me a modify? I dont need vbios mod or something else, just a whitelist mod. bios.bin - Speedy Share - upload your files here - this is my BIOS backup.

BTW a defected notebook cooler killed my ports..

- - - Updated - - -

BTW a defected notebook cooler killed my ports..

Attach the bios here or use a cloud service, I can't download from this stupid hoster.

You should be able to fix this rather easily. Your new 7260 is waking up your computer right after it goes to sleep for some reason. what you will need to do is find the 7260 in device manager, go to Properties> Power management, and deselect "Allow this device to wake this computer". This should fix your problem.

Huh, and it goes to sleep just fine when you remove the card? You may try and see if WOL is activated in the bios and your card is triggering that for some reason. Otherwise It would have to be some sort of hardware interrupt that I wouldn't know about. Your problem doesn't seem to be a problem with the card itself as no-one else seems to have had this problem with this card. maybe try this; How to Find Out What's Keeping Your Computer from Going to Sleep ? Your computer seems like it is making it to sleep though and just being forced to wake up right away. I have had the same problem with several wireless mice but not to this extent.

Huh, and it goes to sleep just fine when you remove the card? You may try and see if WOL is activated in the bios and your card is triggering that for some reason. Otherwise It would have to be some sort of hardware interrupt that I wouldn't know about. Your problem doesn't seem to be a problem with the card itself as no-one else seems to have had this problem with this card. maybe try this; How to Find Out What's Keeping Your Computer from Going to Sleep ? Your computer seems like it is making it to sleep though and just being forced to wake up right away. I have had the same problem with several wireless mice but not to this extent.

on page 9 I posted about having this exact same problem.

The problem is definitely with the card. Tried looking at BIOS settings, power management, unchecking "allow this device to wake the computer" and the problem persists; the computer immediately wakes back up when I try to put it to sleep.

with the stock BIOS and the stock Centrino 2230 card, it went to sleep fine. Flashed the modded BIOS but kept the Centrino 2230 inside and it went to sleep fine. Modded BIOS plus AC 7260, this problem occurs.

• Thumbs Up 1

on page 9 I posted about having this exact same problem.

The problem is definitely with the card. Tried looking at BIOS settings, power management, unchecking "allow this device to wake the computer" and the problem persists; the computer immediately wakes back up when I try to put it to sleep.

with the stock BIOS and the stock Centrino 2230 card, it went to sleep fine. Flashed the modded BIOS but kept the Centrino 2230 inside and it went to sleep fine. Modded BIOS plus AC 7260, this problem occurs.

You installed the latest drivers from Intel?

You got any settings in the advanced-configuration tab in Windows that let's you shut off anything like that?

your best bet then would be to go digging through the configuration for your card and try re installing the drivers. Otherwise you could run a wake event recorder to figure out exactly how/why the card is telling the computer to wake up. If you disable the card in device manager, does your computer still wake up?

oh, and I haven't been able to find any good teardown's of the Y510p (of a production model, one for a prototype exists), so I may go ahead and do a Ifixit / Video style teardown. Then maybe I can identify some of the controller chips and other important parts. Also, does anyone know why Lenovo didn't include a mute button compared to the Y580? (previous computer) Because not having one is extremely annoying as I used to use it all the time.

your best bet then would be to go digging through the configuration for your card and try re installing the drivers. Otherwise you could run a wake event recorder to figure out exactly how/why the card is telling the computer to wake up. If you disable the card in device manager, does your computer still wake up?

oh, and I haven't been able to find any good teardown's of the Y510p (of a production model, one for a prototype exists), so I may go ahead and do a Ifixit / Video style teardown. Then maybe I can identify some of the controller chips and other important parts. Also, does anyone know why Lenovo didn't include a mute button compared to the Y580? (previous computer) Because not having one is extremely annoying as I used to use it all the time.

I'm wondering that aswell. It's a button that is very handy when your girlfriend is on the phone and you're doing anything noisy at the moment.

I would prefer a "programmable" button that you can set whatever you want as a function, e.g Mute or launch a program.

You installed the latest drivers from Intel?

You got any settings in the advanced-configuration tab in Windows that let's you shut off anything like that?

Yes, latest drivers from Intel.

Can you be more specific here? I've tried tweaking almost all the adapter configuration settings, nothing works.

I've tried reinstalling the driver, installing the latest Bluetooth driver (intel bluetooth 4.0 + HS), disabling both the wireless card and the bluetooth adapter in Device Manager, going in to BIOS and disabling wireless, and looking at other settings in the BIOS. The computer still wakes up immediately after going to sleep. The only thing that "fixes" the problem is if i take out the AC 7260 card and put in the old Centrino 2230 card. It's gotta be a hardware thing I think.

I tried the powercfg lastwake command in command prompt, it does not tell me what was the source of the wake. Just says Wake Source Count-0

I'm somewhat hesitant to flash the bios without having made a backup first. I can't make a backup because, as I said I get an error 51 when I try to make a backup using the Error 104 fix file.

What are the chances of something going wrong when I attempt to flash it?

Wait, I'm stupid. The flashing process in the OP requires you to make a backup first anyway... How am I supposed to flash it if I can't make the backup?