Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

Any modified vBIOS for Ultrabay 755M available ?

Like for most users my Ultrabay 755M gets 97-98C hot in a matter of minutes with games that uses 99% GPU. A vBIOS for the 2nd 755M with lower voltage (or an unlocked vBIOS that allows voltage changing in MSI Afterburner) would be nice because now the ultrabay 755M throttles for most users because of the high temp ...

you may want to repaste that 755m. I pulled my ultrabay 750m apart and it was missing a spring on one of the screws that holds the heatsink to the gpu and a thermal pad on one of the ram chips was missing. after repasting, adding the spring and a little thermal paste to the ram chip mine never gets above 80c with the backend raised up

you may want to repaste that 755m. I pulled my ultrabay 750m apart and it was missing a spring on one of the screws that holds the heatsink to the gpu and a thermal pad on one of the ram chips was missing. after repasting, adding the spring and a little thermal paste to the ram chip mine never gets above 80c with the backend raised up

I repasted with the paste I've got with my Sager laptop a few years ago, but it did not help anything. I will repaste again with Arctic MX-4, but I doubt it will do anything. Oh and I am using a Notepal XL laptop cooler and it still reaches 98C...

It reaches 98C without laptop coolerpad quite fast.

I have attached pictures of my fan, GPU die and VGA memory to this post.

I have tested, if the ultrabay FAN was running on max RPM, it would help a LOT. I've ran a game while I started dust removal and until the fan was running on max RPM the 2nd VGA temp started to decrease.

Wonder if it would be possible to mod the system bios or 2nd vga bios to force the fan to run on max rpm ...

post-21507-1449499682305_thumb.jpg

post-21507-14494996823939_thumb.jpg

post-21507-14494996824739_thumb.jpg

hmmm odd. I have samsung memory on mine. Are you able to overclock your memory? i oc mine to +400mhz. i havent tried to go any higher yet. that fan looks exactly like mine so my theory of the different fans affecting temps is blown away. Do you have all of your springs on the screws that hold down the heatsink to the GPU? There should be three silver springs and three silver screws.

Would you mind trying something? Put two objects under the rear feet of your laptop to raise the backend similar to what a laptop cooler would do. then take a desk fan (i use a honeywell fan) and put it behind your laptop and point it toward the underside. Try gaming this way and let me know what temps you get. I was able to bring my cpu temps down from 85c to 70c in battlefield 4 by having this setup with the fan on high. Just curious if it will affect your ultrabay temps or not.

hmmm odd. I have samsung memory on mine. Are you able to overclock your memory? i oc mine to +400mhz. i havent tried to go any higher yet. that fan looks exactly like mine so my theory of the different fans affecting temps is blown away. Do you have all of your springs on the screws that hold down the heatsink to the GPU? There should be three silver springs and three silver screws.

Would you mind trying something? Put two objects under the rear feet of your laptop to raise the backend similar to what a laptop cooler would do. then take a desk fan (i use a honeywell fan) and put it behind your laptop and point it toward the underside. Try gaming this way and let me know what temps you get. I was able to bring my cpu temps down from 85c to 70c in battlefield 4 by having this setup with the fan on high. Just curious if it will affect your ultrabay temps or not.

overclock would be pointless since the ultrabay VGA is already melting ... In theory i could OC higher with Hynix RAM.

I have this cooler: http://content.hwigroup.net/images/products/xl/197243/cooler_master_notepal_xl.jpg CM Notepal XL

It helps a little bit, but not much. The temp of the ultrabay VGA still reaches 98C, the only difference that it takes a little bit more time to reach it.

I've also repasted with Arctic MX-4 and did not help anything.

Hi,

Can you tell me if I need modd bios on a Lenovo Ideapad Y510p ?

I have a Centrino 2230 and I want to replace it with Intel 6235 or Intel 7260AC. The bios version is 1.10 and the hardwares specs are: Intel® Core™ I7-4700HQ @2.4GHz | 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | 2*Nvidia® Geforce™ GT 750M SLI| 250GB Samsung EVO SATA SSD | 1080p Lenovo Display | Intel® Centrino 2230.

Intel 7260 + BT should be supported in Bios 3.xx by default.

Only the single band wireless n +'BT version of the 7260 is most likely supported as the dual band n or ac models with or without bt are not order able from Lenovo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll lower the default. Hope it will be stable. I think it shouldn't be a problem at all... most current Nvidia chips seem to have a default voltage that's way too high, including 700 desktop series, Titan, 780m...

Great, thanks svl7!

Are you lowering both GPU voltage or just ultrabay (or just main gpu?) ?

btw which vBIOS are you working with ? Just asking because I've tried the "2nd VGA bios for 755M" from Lenovo's website with 2x y510p and it caused screen flickering with both. No problem with the factory vBIOS (which already has the Win 8.1 fix by default) that I've linked.

With the default one that's in the bios, should be this one, right? 80.07.A8.00.2E

Will mod the ultrabay as well. Flickering might be gone with the mod, but can't promise it.

So,

I've read this whole thread. I've been googling and fooling around for hours. Googling anything with y510p and modified bios brings us here. It would be great that the OP be updated, as I'm sure most y510p's from now on will ship with 3.05. It does not seem possible yet with units shipping with 3.05 from factory, am I right?

I've managed to pull the BIOS with a bios toolkit. I've got the 7260AC handy and am just waiting for a BIOS update to start taking it apart.