Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

But I still have to flash the ultrabay, right? The laptop isn't recognizing the second GPU and Lenovo doesn't provide support for windows 7

No you do not. If you want to overclock and overvolt you can still flash it, but not mandatory for functioning SLI in Windows 7 unlike Windows 8. If Windows doesn't recognize GPU it is a different issue. Maybe check that card shows up in Device Manager and SLI is enabled in Nvidia Control Panel.

Lenovo provides official Windows 7 drivers on its site but ofc downloading latest versions from manufacturers' websites is recommended.

Could anyone kindly please make a list of the BIOS settings which do not work, or which brick/fry the notebook? I've read through a few pages and seen that volting and clocking may do this to the notebook, but does shutting a couple of cores off do the same? Also, is that option even there? And, finally, does the BIOS have the option to switch to the IGPU whilst both the discrete cards are inserted? Just want to get all my lists checked and see if the modded BIOS would actually help me do any further power saving or not. :(

-- W

Hey guy, I think, I've found option in bios that stop cpu from throttling when gpu temp reach 65 degrees. It's ACPI 5.0 CPPC Support and ACPI 5.0 CPPC Platform SCI in Advanced CPU Control under Power tab in Modded Bios. I heard it was cpu powersaving feature in Haswell so I enabled them and install this driver (Intel Collaborative Processor Performance Control (CPPC) Driver for Windows 8.1 (64-bit), 8 (64-bit) - ThinkPad - Lenovo Support (US)).

Then today I ran Heaven Benchmark and gpu temp had gone high(75 degrees and 85 degrees) but to my surprise I monitor my cpu using XTU and saw that cpu still turbo boosting and doesn't throttle.

About the CPU performance: When driver was installed there is new option in windows power option called Intel CPPC Energy Efficiency Settings. You can enable or disable it (Default are "Enabled" on battery and "Disabled" when plugged in). I leave it at default setting.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hey guy, I think, I've found option in bios that stop cpu from throttling when gpu temp reach 65 degrees. It's ACPI 5.0 CPPC Support and ACPI 5.0 CPPC Platform SCI in Advanced CPU Control under Power tab in Modded Bios. I heard it was cpu powersaving feature in Haswell so I enabled them and install this driver (Intel Collaborative Processor Performance Control (CPPC) Driver for Windows 8.1 (64-bit), 8 (64-bit) - ThinkPad - Lenovo Support (US)).

Then today I ran Heaven Benchmark and gpu temp had gone high(75 degrees and 85 degrees) but to my surprise I monitor my cpu using XTU and saw that cpu still turbo boosting and doesn't throttle.

About the CPU performance: When driver was installed there is new option in windows power option called Intel CPPC Energy Efficiency Settings. You can enable or disable it (Default are "Enabled" on battery and "Disabled" when plugged in). I leave it at default setting.

I am going to flash modified bios to test it out. So now we can disable throttling semi-official way :D.

Hi, I've buy a Y510p with a single GT750M GPU, and I've brought a GT 750M5. But I'm getting the message "unauthorized slave vga card is plugged in. power off and remove it". Will this version fix my issue? Best Regards

Whats the version of original unmodified version of your bios? If you have old bios try to download official bios update from Lenovo and also download vga bios update from this thread. Its second post. Make sure you pick 750m bios. Just follow the instructions.

If it will fix your issue I dont know but you can try. Where did you bought your laptop and second vga card?

Edit: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/ideapad-y-series-laptops/ideapad-y510p-notebook/documents/HT079946?tabName=Solutions

Thats the official fix from lenovo as I said before, you have to have updated bios and also vga bios. You can download original bios from the link above.

If non above worked try modified bios. And if it still dont work then speak to Lenovo technical support and ask them for help.

Whats the version of original unmodified version of your bios? If you have old bios try to download official bios update from Lenovo and also download vga bios update from this thread. Its second post. Make sure you pick 750m bios. Just follow the instructions.

If it will fix your issue I dont know but you can try. Where did you bought your laptop and second vga card?

Edit: Laptops and netbooks :: IdeaPad Y Series laptops :: IdeaPad Y510p Notebook - Lenovo Support (US)

Thats the official fix from lenovo as I said before, you have to have updated bios and also vga bios. You can download original bios from the link above.

If non above worked try modified bios. And if it still dont work then speak to Lenovo technical support and ask them for help.

I brought this computer at Ebay. Work wonderful with a single GT 750M, but I've brought another GT750M5 separately, computer has Bios 3.05 but it display that message when I replace the original optical drive with the gpu. I have contacted Lenovo support but they don't want to help me as my warranty expired 2 months ago. Computer won't boot with the second gpu, so the problem is not that videocard is not recognized by windows, the problem is that the computer stops booting and display this message.

Sorry, but I can't seem to get Step 1 to work. The backup.bat file run in Admin Cmd prompt doesn't spit out a bios back up anywhere that I can see. Is there an alternative to this step?

OK I managed to get to the dragging and dropping a backup bios into the biosfixer, but ended up with this:

"Input file: bios.bin

ERROR - invalid input file. Make sure it's a proper dump of BIOS version v1.07, v1.09 or v1.10"

I didn't run anything with admin prompt or admin priveleges because when I did, nothing happened. No backup bios was created and the biosfixer with admin priveleges wouldn't let me drag any files onto it.

Did you tried modified bios aswell? Well you have bought non-sli version then probably. They should at least tell you if its going to work or not. Cheeky bastards those lenovo technicians.

If modified bios is not going to work then you might be out of luck. I bought 755M SLI version . I was in temtation to buy it separately but I was lucky that I spotted great deal on this model in my country so I bought it cheaper than lenovo sells it. It was however DOS version but I can install clean windows myself without any crappy preinstalled software as manufacturers do them.

If you really have non-sli version then you are out of luck as non-sli versions are probably not able to deliver enough power for second ultrabay vga. Even if you have got 170W power adapter. Sorry but you better sell that laptop and that card for whatever you can and buy SLI version with ultrabay card.

OK I managed to get to the dragging and dropping a backup bios into the biosfixer, but ended up with this:

"Input file: bios.bin

ERROR - invalid input file. Make sure it's a proper dump of BIOS version v1.07, v1.09 or v1.10"

I didn't run anything with admin prompt or admin priveleges because when I did, nothing happened. No backup bios was created and the biosfixer with admin priveleges wouldn't let me drag any files onto it.

Nevermind I figured it out. Bios modded successfully, but just discovered that the Intel 7260 wireless-n chip I ordered is a DoA... effing Murphy's law.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've never had to do it on a laptop before. According to the y510p hardware manual, you can't bypass the supervisor bios password, without returning the laptop to Lenovo and having them replace the board.

But you could try doing the first one on this site where you generate a backdoor password from the code it gives you after a couple invalid passwords. It doesn't require you to open your laptop.

How do I clear a laptop CMOS password?

Btw as far as I know the y5/410p doesn't have a CMOS battery so you can't reset it via that or a jumper.