Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

Thank you guys.

@Agoneous , if you are willing to open your laptop one more time, clipping/disconnecting the sense pins on the fan will cause it to run at max speed all the time.

I'm afraid I do not know which pin is the one with the sensor.

All I recall seeing regarding the CPU fan neighboring connectors is two potential candidates with one having 3 pins, and the other having 4.

My memory is unreliable, FTR.

UPDATE:

Some 15 minutes after writing this I decided to restart my computer several times while observing the two fans. What I noticed immediately is that the fan for the 2nd GPU was up and running at full speed none-stop the moment I turned on the laptop.

The CPU+GPUx1 fan, on the other hand, continued to run for 1 sec every 2-3 secs at the same time.

I manually spinned the CPU fan every time I booted the laptop, several times.

On the Nth time (N>6<9>N), it started going full-speed. Running at 60C as we speak on idle, in contrast to the 79C+ it would normally have, in this context.

Hi, i had this same issue.

Then i was download again file from first post of this topic and this helped me.

Hello guys!

When I try to backup my current BIOS, with FPTw64 i get this error:

Error 201: [FPTw64.exe] cannot be run on the current platform.

Please contact your vendor.

I did run CMD as admin.

I have BIOS 3.05

Win 8.1 64-bit

What can I do ?

Thanks in advance :-)

hi svl7, this is my first post here, admiring your work, but im wondering if it would be possible to just modify the whitelist and nothing else, as im sure id want to play with the new options but not wanting to ruin my laptop id rather there werent any other options...

Getting my y510p sent in. Will probably reflash the bios when I get it back but I probably wont mess with any settings unless I know that they work and wont brick the mobo again. lol. It seems to only be the cpu voltage settings that brick so far.

Getting my y510p sent in. Will probably reflash the bios when I get it back but I probably wont mess with any settings unless I know that they work and wont brick the mobo again. lol. It seems to only be the cpu voltage settings that brick so far.

The EC flash that was referred to as critical in the instructions can also brick it, that's what bricked mine. I made no changes in the BIOS, never had the chance.

Hi, Ive got a problem. I bought my y510p with 750m sli, everything worked fine for a few months, but now my NB turned off and doesnt want to boot up unless i take off the second graphic card from the ultrabay. While trying to boot up it just says : "unauthorized slave vga card is plugged in. Power off and remove it " ... Im hopeless, 700km away from home and cannt send my NB to lenovo service, because i need it for my study :/ I just want to know, if this will help me. Thank you

I just wanted to note for everyone - if you happen to open up the laptop and miss some screws computer might not boot up. Make sure after i.e. repasting, changing bios battery etc, that you boot with all the screws on the keyboard especially.

ok ive tried on my laptop and desktop to no avail (both 8.1) Upgraded to 3.05, backed up bios, but when i drag the bios.bin over biosfixer_2.0.exe it just opens the app and nothing else. Does not create the v305bios.bin or whatever :/ tried it on desktop/laptop in various directories (desktop/downloads/etc) and it just opens the app shown: post-30023-14494998431389_thumb.jpg

and yea, ive tried looking through the past ~30 or so pages and found someone with similar problem but no solution. :(

ok ive tried on my laptop and desktop to no avail (both 8.1) Upgraded to 3.05, backed up bios, but when i drag the bios.bin over biosfixer_2.0.exe it just opens the app and nothing else. Does not create the v305bios.bin or whatever :/ tried it on desktop/laptop in various directories (desktop/downloads/etc) and it just opens the app shown: [ATTACH=CONFIG]12713[/ATTACH]

and yea, ive tried looking through the past ~30 or so pages and found someone with similar problem but no solution. :(

Apparently Malwarebytes Premium was interferring, so if you have this problem make sure it is not running. Hope this helps someone.

Hey...I have a y510p ( i7 and single 755M gpu)

i updated my BIOS recently (today actually) to v3.05 directly from v2.04. I noticed my average idle cpu and gpu temps are up by 5-8 deg C. Is the latest BIOS the best version available ?

Secondly, does the modded BIOS help improve gpu speeds (without any tinkering around ie. on default settings ) ? I do not plan to change my wireless card. So I was wondering whether its worth going down that route.

Thanks

Hi guys, i have a lenovo y410. I bought Azurewave Broadcom BCM94352 and I put it in, but of course it is not on Lenovo's whitelist. So I am trying to mod my BIOS but I keep running into problems. I tried following these instructions but I get the follow error when I try backing up my BIOS

FPTW64 is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file. I tried running as admin and "unblocking" the files.

I am running 3.05 bios.

Any suggestions>?post-30050-14494998432193_thumb.png

Hi guys, i have a lenovo y410. I bought Azurewave Broadcom BCM94352 and I put it in, but of course it is not on Lenovo's whitelist. So I am trying to mod my BIOS but I keep running into problems. I tried following these instructions but I get the follow error when I try backing up my BIOS

FPTW64 is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file. I tried running as admin and "unblocking" the files.

I am running 3.05 bios.

Any suggestions>?[ATTACH=CONFIG]12718[/ATTACH]

I dont know what exactly you are doing....

but the steps i followed were :

1. copy everything in the fptw folder to C:/

2. run cmd as admin

3. type"cd/" and enter

4. type "backup.bat" and enter

Hope this helps

On another note, one thing I noticed... while flashing the EC file, at 50% progress, my laptop rebooted automatically. I hope thats how it was supposed to happen. For now I am leaving the deault settings in the modded BIOS. If there are any GPU related tips (which are risk free :) ), please do share. Thanks

Hi guys, I recently successfully got the BIOS to work. I can access all the advanced options. But, the thing is I can't access boot media. When I press F12, I cannot see the flash drive I made to boot from Ubuntu. The flash drive does work, as confirmed by using another laptop. I tried accessing the boot menu from F2, and it still doesn't show up. Only a Windows Boot Manager, EFI Network 0 for Ipv4 and for ipv6 show up. I also tried resetting the BIOS, Loading OS optimized defaults, and I'm pretty sure I tried all possible boot option tweaks.... Help please? Thanks!

Hi guys, I recently successfully got the BIOS to work. I can access all the advanced options. But, the thing is I can't access boot media. When I press F12, I cannot see the flash drive I made to boot from Ubuntu. The flash drive does work, as confirmed by using another laptop. I tried accessing the boot menu from F2, and it still doesn't show up. Only a Windows Boot Manager, EFI Network 0 for Ipv4 and for ipv6 show up. I also tried resetting the BIOS, Loading OS optimized defaults, and I'm pretty sure I tried all possible boot option tweaks.... Help please? Thanks!

try this :

disable fastboot (i dont know whether this is actually necessary)

disable secure boot in bios

boot into bios and in bios settings (one of the tabs), change the bios boot option from UEFI to legacy

then in boot priority, select legacy ( even if it does not list your USB)

save and exit

I faced this 'USB not visible in boot menu' issue when i was flashing the bios. Switching to legacy solved my problem

try this :

disable fastboot (i dont know whether this is actually necessary)

disable secure boot in bios

boot into bios and in bios settings (one of the tabs), change the bios boot option from UEFI to legacy

then in boot priority, select legacy ( even if it does not list your USB)

save and exit

I faced this 'USB not visible in boot menu' issue when i was flashing the bios. Switching to legacy solved my problem

Wow! Thank you so much! It works now!

I followed the guide and everything worked but when I typed "EC" it said:

"dos memory buffer 2 allocate failed"

I have tried manually to write both:

flashit EC305.bin /EC

flashit EC305.bin /ECP

; same result.

Any ideas?