Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

Hi Guys!

First of all, thanks for all the great work for the bios mod!!

I was really excited when I saw a update in this thread and started right away.

Since I ran the whitelist-mod v2.07 bios I first updated to v3.05. After that I made a backup and modded it with the tool.

After that I downgraded to stock v2.07 and prepared a USB-stick for DOS flashing.

All according to the instructions in the first post.

I've tried it twice with different USB-sticks and received the same error twice....

Don't know if I'm the first with this, couldn't find it in this thread and on Google.

It says: Abort: 00, Exception 0E and Error: 00000000 as you can see in the attached image (the Dutch version of the y510p isn't anti-glare at all I guess).

post-17359-14494998100579_thumb.jpg

Also tried different settings in bios regarding back-flash and secure boot.

Btw, the error happened right after I hit "enter" after typing "bios" so no harm did to the BIOS

Thanks in advance!!

If you already have a 3.05 backup of your bios then you can skip the first steps and flash directly from your modified 2.07. You still need to flash the EC though...

Since you flash from the modified 2.07 you won't need to remove the wlan card since the whitelist is removed in the mod version of 2.07.

@svl7 My Y510p came with 3.05. So I flasehd to original 2.07 and then to modded 2.07 (whitelist only) and used an KillerNic card afterwards. So at this moment I am running a modded 2.07. I have also kept the original 3.05 bios as a backup accordingly to the 305->207->207modded procedure back then.

So my questions is, The procedure to go from 2.07modded to 3.05modded should be :

(1) Download the files for the v3.05 mod, put the files of folder [1] to the root of your prepared USB DOS stick.

(2) Let the BiosFixer prepare your BIOS for flashing by drag and dropping your 3.05 backup file on it. Put the created "v305mod.bin" file to the root of your USB DOS drive as well.

(3) Boot from your USB DOS drive, when you see the command prompt type BIOS and hit enter. Wait until the BIOS (3.05 modded) is flashed (you can safely ignore warnings about non-existing regions).

(4) Once the BIOS flash completed with no errors, type EC and hit enter. Wait until the EC is flashed. Then reboot.

(5) Go to the BIOS setup menu, load the default settings, apply and reboot.

or must first flash EC (step4) and then flaseh modded 3.05 (step 3) ???

Thank you !!

Btw, the error happened right after I hit "enter" after typing "bios" so no harm did to the BIOS

Make sure you have secure boot disabled and legacy boot active.

So my questions is, The procedure to go from 2.07modded to 3.05modded should be :

(1) Download the files for the v3.05 mod, put the files of folder [1] to the root of your prepared USB DOS stick.

(2) Let the BiosFixer prepare your BIOS for flashing by drag and dropping your 3.05 backup file on it. Put the created "v305mod.bin" file to the root of your USB DOS drive as well.

(3) Boot from your USB DOS drive, when you see the command prompt type BIOS and hit enter. Wait until the BIOS (3.05 modded) is flashed (you can safely ignore warnings about non-existing regions).

(4) Once the BIOS flash completed with no errors, type EC and hit enter. Wait until the EC is flashed. Then reboot.

(5) Go to the BIOS setup menu, load the default settings, apply and reboot.

That will do.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have made a walkthrough through the modded BIOS because I tend to forget all the names etc. And it is easier to give a link to some second of a video than getting my camera to take photos all the time..

Here it is :

. Feel free to use.

I'll put it in the front post if you correct my name in the video title :P

Make sure you have secure boot disabled and legacy boot active.

Thanks for the fast reply! Unfortunately it didn't work.. Tried multiple times with legacy mode enabled and secure boot disabled. Maybe there is a way of flashing both files in the normal Windows?

I think someone else had a similar error a while ago, and if I'm not mistaken the issue was with the DOS installation. Maybe try that again, download the files once more, format the drive, and freshly install the files...

Don't copy the DOS files manually, let the tool handle that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also tried different settings in bios regarding back-flash and secure boot.

The only thing I can think off to try - reset to factory defaults, save, reboot, select UEFI, disable secure boot, reboot, and then select legacy mode, boot from usb, reboot. Maybe secure boot somehow gets in a way or default settings..

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi again guys.

I found this on my motherboard:

imgur: the simple image sharer

imgur: the simple image sharer

what now? im afraid that i may cause some damage to this "violet battery" by moving it, (is it even battery ? )

It should be packed bios CMOS battery. Is it movable at all? No damage by moving it except if it somehow non-movable. It must be packed in plastic as a lot of those batteries are. Note if you remove the battery, you must remove it for 20-30 minutes at least to reset BIOS.

It should be packed bios CMOS battery. Is it movable at all? No damage by moving it except if it somehow non-movable. It must be packed in plastic as a lot of those batteries are. Note if you remove the battery, you must remove it for 20-30 minutes at least to reset BIOS.

this battery is "hanging" on "metal connection aka solid wire". I dont know how to remove only battery from this mysterous thing :|.

Btw. I shorted these 2 cmos pins, and now even keyboard is not lighting and i cant shut it down without removing laptop battery.

For those who don't like the restrictions Lenovo put on their system, here's a BIOS mod that will get you back at least some of the freedom you should have over your own hardware.

I know that it will sound odd However, can You make remove wifi white-list fix only 3.05 bios?

Reason - The most valuable feature included, low profile, safer before full blown mod will be rock stable.

I don't get it, why is this happening?

WiTgu7M.jpg

Heat is OK and keeps throttling.

139 GPU0 temperature Max? Is that even possible? You had 94*C CPU temp while taking this screenshot and max was 100? Dude, I think you need to clean out your laptop, or maybe it send it back because it has some serious cooling issues. My GPU and my CPU didn't even get that high while I was benchmarking on CARPET. Take a can of air and try blowing out any dust that could be hogging up the fans, because those are some extremely insane temperatures, I think anyone here can agree.

I have the ideapad y410p BIOS v3.05 anyone else or know if you can refer me to a form that can fix sleep issues. I noticed my laptop is still on even once its put to sleep. this happened when i sent my laptop for HDD repairs and they updated my BIOS

Also which version of BIOS mod/unmod is best for battery life

+1, I was also wondering what is up with the sheet of plastic over the Ultrabay GPU, and if it had anything to do with these ridiculous temperatures.

You can remove the plastic shield if you want a clean look, but it makes absolutely no difference on temperatures since it never gets between the GPU die and heatsink or creates air pockets. It's there to protect the resistors/capacitors you see around the die from contacting the heatsink in case it is warped and from conductive/capacitive TIM, e.g. CLU/AS5.

OK so I end up with this:

qsMs0pH.jpg

I test a game for about 30 minutes (up to the red line) and this is the best I can get but only with the ultrabay GPU downvolted.

post-28380-14494998104419_thumb.png

Can this make any damage to the GPU?, also the only way I find to apply those settings on boot is by creating a shortcut and execute it at boot.

OK so I end up with this:

I test a game for about 30 minutes (up to the red line) and this is the best I can get but only with the ultrabay GPU downvolted.

Can this make any damage to the GPU?, also the only way I find to apply those settings on boot is by creating a shortcut and execute it at boot.

In short term it will not damage in long term it may.

Do you use cooling pad? - It may reduce temperature by 5 to 7 celsius degrees.

My recommendation:

Cooler Master NotePal U3 PLUS - Laptop Cooling Pad with Three Configurable High Performance Fans - Black - Newegg.com

or

ZALMAN Notebook Cooler ZM-NC2000 Black - Newegg.com

Did you use premium (non metal) thermal compound for repaste?

Example:

GELID Solutions GC-Extreme Thermal Compound - Newegg.com

difference:

Results: CPU Air Cooler; Low Mounting Pressure - Thermal Paste Comparison, Part Two: 39 Products Get Tested

Note that thermal compound application method may result in different temperatures:

Thermal Paste Application Techniques - Puget Custom Computers

I found out something interesting about UEFI/BIOS.

Checked with Universal BIOS Backup ToolKit 2.0 and fptw64 (these two always generate exactly same dumps)

Bios dump if I change BIOS setting, Is it supposed to be like that?