Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

Hello guys I'm new here, I'm having problems with this laptop GPU's, I see this thread but I'm not sure if this can help with my problem, so if you guys can suggest me some settings I'll really apreciated.

The problem is, my laptop is the Y510p with 750m SLI GPU's, when I run games with heavy load and the GPU's heat is too high, the GPU's usage drops drastically as you can see in the image, they drop to about 25-30%, and go up again when the heat is lower.

Maybe raising the fans speed with this bios can help with the problem.

8aTFtRC.jpg?1

EDIT: Download link for 3.05 mod files isn't working (on post, not attachment).

EDIT2: I've successfully installed the modded bios (I think), when I procced to flash the EC the laptop rebooted itself very fast so I don't now if it was flashed correctly or not, then I rebooted again into msdos and flashed the ultrabay gpu on index 1, I didn't flash the gpu on index 0, I supposse it's only the ultrabay gpu on index 1 the only one that need to be flashed. Now I just need some advices on what to change on bios settings that may help with my problem.

Hello guys I'm new here, I'm having problems with this laptop GPU's, I see this thread but I'm not sure if this can help with my problem, so if you guys can suggest me some settings I'll really apreciated.

The problem is, my laptop is the Y510p with 750m SLI GPU's, when I run games with heavy load and the GPU's heat is too high, the GPU's usage drops drastically as you can see in the image, they drop to about 25-30%, and go up again when the heat is lower.

Maybe raising the fans speed with this bios can help with the problem.

8aTFtRC.jpg?1

EDIT: Download link for 3.05 mod files isn't working.

That's thermal throttling, the GPUs in this laptop drop down to a low, low, 405MHz when they hit 98*C, that's when you'll start to see some crazy stuttering. I've ordered some Arctic MX-4 as well as the NotePal X3 cooling pad and they should be here tomorrow. I'll make a thread with results once I test them. One thing I really don't understand though is, how did you manage to get the first GPU so high? Were you benchmarking on carpet or something? Even severely overclocked to 1254/2700 my first GPU never goes past 85*C and that's just sitting flat on a table..

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, it is Just me, or the file "v305Mod.bin" is missing in the zip file now?

I could find the EC file "EC305.bin", but I couldn't find the 3.05 modded bios file (also, the link at (2) appears to be broken).

I've checked every zip file.

Thank you!

That's thermal throttling, the GPUs in this laptop drop down to a low, low, 405MHz when they hit 98*C, that's when you'll start to see some crazy stuttering. I've ordered some Arctic MX-4 as well as the NotePal X3 cooling pad and they should be here tomorrow. I'll make a thread with results once I test them. One thing I really don't understand though is, how did you manage to get the first GPU so high? Were you benchmarking on carpet or something? Even severely overclocked to 1254/2700 my first GPU never goes past 85*C and that's just sitting flat on a table..

You can put GPU to 99% load either with FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net (press P on keyboard in order to enable HUGE strain on GPU) or MSI Kombustor - Burn-in test and benchmarking utility - Scores page

Another thing - block air vents with simple paper/book cover in order to test how it acts on huge temperature (be careful with this please..).

No, I was just running the game, after flashing the new bios the main gpu doesn't get more than 82º but I'm having the same trouble with the ultrabay gpu :(.

EDIT: I tested the same game again with SLI disabled, now the main GPU go up to 100% load if needed and the heat up to 92-93 maximum this GPU is working perfectly, the ultrabay GPU seems defective to me, with SLI enabled the ultrabay GPU go up to 100º and start throttling like hell, also doesn't let the main GPU load more than 30-50% of it's power.

First of all, thank you @svl7 for your dedicated work.

Doing it is simple, maybe 1 step should be added to 1st post, before downgrading, set bios option to be able to downgrade. ( For some people it is trivial, i know, but for those who it isn't. :) )

Regarding VGA bioses:

I can consider myself lucky, 1st card can do 1200@ 1.07V, 2nd(ultrabay) @1.09V with original bios.

1.1V is too much for me, but i have to point out, i'm a minority here, most of the gpus use more than 1.1V by default.

Yes I know, i can use negative offset with nvinspector, but I used that just for benchmarking with overvoltage.

The reason it is in past tense, because it tends to mess up the auto downclocking on lower usage.

By default when usage is lower, and GPU is donwclocking, it is downvolting too, so i can end up for example 1.1Ghz with lower than 1V.

Why is it important? Because it allows GPUs to cool down.

Now with this bios, GPU 3D voltage is locked down @1.1V, and even with auto lowered 3D clocks it stays the same.

It can be good, because it allows a simpler/ more stabilized overclock, you just have to test 1 voltage and clock combo.

With default bios it is more complicated, because you can have a stable max clock at certain voltages, but when it downclock/downvolts automatically, it crashes.

But when we are using the cooling on the edge, every bit counts. :)

Can we have a version where auto downclock/downvolt is working?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, it is Just me, or the file "v305Mod.bin" is missing in the zip file now?

I could find the EC file "EC305.bin", but I couldn't find the 3.05 modded bios file (also, the link at (2) appears to be broken).

There's no such file, read the instructions carefully, you need to create that file with the BiosFixer.

I'll fix that link.

No, I was just running the game, after flashing the new bios the main gpu doesn't get more than 82º but I'm having the same trouble with the ultrabay gpu :(.

EDIT: I tested the same game again with SLI disabled, now the main GPU go up to 100% load if needed and the heat up to 92-93 maximum this GPU is working perfectly, the ultrabay GPU seems defective to me, with SLI enabled the ultrabay GPU go up to 100º and start throttling like hell, also doesn't let the main GPU load more than 30-50% of it's power.

You run into heat issues. Renew the thermal compound in your system and maybe consider lowering the GPU voltage, if possible without loosing stability.

You can put GPU to 99% load either with FurMark

Uh, bad idea. Don't use this if you want a working GPU.

That's only properly working when that stupid boost stuff is active... I could provide a bios with stock vbios.

That's only properly working when that stupid boost stuff is active... I could provide a bios with stock vbios.

slv7, I think ultrabay vbios is working for both of GPU in SLI mode.. I think of this because when I was changing vbios separately, when in SLI ultrabay VBIOS took presedence and allowed me to use modifications which I have done on ultrabay. Now I am wondering if that is really the case or I just missed something.. I am probably wrong?

Uh, bad idea. Don't use this if you want a working GPU.

What is your preferred method of putting a stable strain on GPU to test how its working ?

- - - Updated - - -

slv7, do you think it is possible to both leave auto downclock/downvolt behaviour, usual 1,106V , but also unclock min/max on base clock and voltage?

By stock you mean stock boost, but with enhanced TDP and offsets? From my point of view, it is more than welcome! Thank You!

Or if you can give me some hints via pm regarding vbios change, maybe I can do it myself. Tried it already once (extracting bios, editing vbios, repacking), but no luck, had to remove ultrabay, to be able to boot, and revert bios.

slv7, I think ultrabay vbios is working for both of GPU in SLI mode.. I think of this because when I was changing vbios separately, when in SLI ultrabay VBIOS took presedence and allowed me to use modifications which I have done on ultrabay. Now I am wondering if that is really the case or I just missed something.. I am probably wrong?

What is your preferred method of putting a stable strain on GPU to test how its working ?

I tried both FurMark and MSI Kombustor for a couple minutes before I found yesterday that FurMark is blacklisted by both AMD and NVIDIA for damaging GPUs, and Kombustor doesn't support SLI =/

So I was just going to go with the usual, Heaven Benchmark 4.0 with Ultra Quality, Extreme Tessellation, 8x MSAA. It gets the GPU usages up pretty high most of the time, and it loops itself. If anyone has any better looping benchmarks that stress the GPUs out for me to try, I'd be thankful. I'll have the results thread up within 4-5 hours from me posting this.

• Thumbs Up 1

3dmark free edition would be sufficient as stability test.

3DMark as a stability test....I'd give it a /MAYBE/, it's a benchmark, more catered towards people that want to see their graphics performance in comparison to other people. The thing I like about Heaven 4.0 is that it's a loop, it never ends, but it doesn't keep both GPUs at a full 99% the entire time, its more 90-99.

I'm hoping that with some type of driver update I can beat my score http://www.3dmark.com/sd/2259619 and hit 11K...

Does anyone know how to work the Processor Overclocking options in the modified 3.05 BIOS or is that not possible?

Hello.

So here's the thing. I flashed your modded bios 3.5 for y510p, and it was working. But only for one gpu, and i was reading that SLI users have to flash ultrabay gpu too. So i did it. Without any error. Then i went to bios to check these new options and i undervolted cpu (-65). Then i saved changes, and i exit bios. After reboot, screen was black (like no light at all), my mouse and pendrive didnt light, only keyboard and power button was lighting. And i felt warm air from fans, after some time it was more warm.

I hope i explained it well, and i am truly asking you for some help. I would really appreciate it.

Regards,

Cassiel.

@svl7 Did an hour of gaming with 1V for both ultrabay and main GPUs. No crashing happened within that hour. Take note though that I left the clock values at their defaults (1098 mhz) as overclocking the main GPU crashes the driver immediately. At 1V, temps were: 91 deg max (main) and 87 deg max (ultrabay)

Hello.

So here's the thing. I flashed your modded bios 3.5 for y510p, and it was working. But only for one gpu, and i was reading that SLI users have to flash ultrabay gpu too. So i did it. Without any error. Then i went to bios to check these new options and i undervolted cpu (-65). Then i saved changes, and i exit bios. After reboot, screen was black (like no light at all), my mouse and pendrive didnt light, only keyboard and power button was lighting. And i felt warm air from fans, after some time it was more warm.

I hope i explained it well, and i am truly asking you for some help. I would really appreciate it.

Regards,

Cassiel.

I sometimes get this too after this mod. Simply just turning it off and on fixes it for me. I've gotten it maybe 3 times since I flashed these about a week ago. I just consider it a minor annoyance since just holding the power button to turn it off and then turning it back on works for me.

- - - Updated - - -

@svl7 Did an hour of gaming with 1V for both ultrabay and main GPUs. No crashing happened within that hour. Take note though that I left the clock values at their defaults (1098 mhz) as overclocking the main GPU crashes the driver immediately. At 1V, temps were: 91 deg max (main) and 87 deg max (ultrabay)

1098 default? You mean 1058?

Hey Guys!

I asking your helps I got a y500 with 1.1.0 bios version. I flash it a years ago now without any problem. But now I am just checking the options on the bios try to enabled the internal gpu, I reamove the ultrabay and playing with the settings in the internal graphics option. And now when I hit the power button the laptop starting then after 3 second shut down then repeat. I cant find any way to reset the bios to the default settings thats why I asking to your helps guys.

all my faith in you guys

Hey Guys!

I asking your helps I got a y500 with 1.1.0 bios version. I flash it a years ago now without any problem. But now I am just checking the options on the bios try to enabled the internal gpu, I reamove the ultrabay and playing with the settings in the internal graphics option. And now when I hit the power button the laptop starting then after 3 second shut down then repeat. I cant find any way to reset the bios to the default settings thats why I asking to your helps guys.

all my faith in you guys

I think you're in the wrong thread =/ You'd probably get a lot more help posting this in the y400/y500 bios thread.

Hello.

Regards,

Cassiel.

Its 750M or 755M issue?

I have made a walkthrough through the modded BIOS because I tend to forget all the names etc. And it is easier to give a link to some second of a video than getting my camera to take photos all the time..

Here it is :

. Feel free to use.
  • Thumbs Up 1