Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

So who here has actually implemented this mod on a Lenovo y510p? what kind of results did you see in for example various benchmarking test? Was there any noticeable improvement and is it across the board or in very particular areas? I realize the only way to truly fine miss out if the tested on my machine, but I am just trying to get as much insight as possible before I go messing around with stuff I have very limited knowledge in. Also, is it still the case that if you have updated, as I have recently, to the 3. 05 version that there's no way of flashing the mod? I noticed there was a flashback option on my current BIOS. Can I revert to the old and is it still necessary at this point in time to do so or has there been any updates that is included in the current version? I realize I could probably find the answers to many of these questions scrolling through these forms but I have limited time and this is kind of a hobby so any straightforward answers are appreciated.

I'm also curious about this, I'm very familiar with hardware but I'm not sure what "EC" is, how to update it, or where to get said update.

I definitely agree with this. Can someone make a video or at least a in depth step by step run through of how to flash the 3.05 modded bios and the ultrabay update found in page 95? Also, can someone confirm that it also contains the unlocked menu and vbios mod in the original OP mod?

I definitely agree with this. Can someone make a video or at least a in depth step by step run through of how to flash the 3.05 modded bios and the ultrabay update found in page 95? Also, can someone confirm that it also contains the unlocked menu and vbios mod in the original OP mod?

I can confirm that the VBIOS are modded same as the original mod with increased -ve voltage offset and the unlocked menu is the same as the original mod. For the step, I will try my best to explain.

1. If you're on v3.05, just download the fptw64 in the first post and run the backup.bat from admin cmd. You will got bios.bin.

2. If not on v3.05, just update from lenovo driver website and follow 1st step.

3. Then open the Bios Fixer for v3.05 and drag&drop the bios.bin, it will make a modified bios as v305Mod.bin.

4. Then open bios by pressing f2 at the lenovo splash screen and enable bios back flash.

5. Download this v2.07 bios, then flash it.

6. Prepare a bootable DOS usb and put everything form the EC folder to the usb.

7. Open bios, set the boot to legacy and legacy first and put the usb on top of the list.

8. After boot into DOS, just type "EC.bat" and enter. It will flash the v3.05 ec.

9. (optional) You can check the ec and bios version at the bios to confirm that you have EC = 3.05 and BIOS = 2.07

10. Boot into windows and open admin cmd, navigate to the bios folder and type "fptw64 -f v305Mod.bin -bios" it will flash the modded bios.

11. If no error, you can reboot and check the bios for unlocked menu.

Hope this helps and I take no responsible for anything happen to your laptop. This is what i do and it work perfectly.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can confirm that the VBIOS are modded same as the original mod with increased -ve voltage offset and the unlocked menu is the same as the original mod. For the step, I will try my best to explain.

1. If you're on v3.05, just download the fptw64 in the first post and run the backup.bat from admin cmd. You will got bios.bin.

2. If not on v3.05, just update from lenovo driver website and follow 1st step.

3. Then open the Bios Fixer for v3.05 and drag&drop the bios.bin, it will make a modified bios as v305Mod.bin.

4. Then open bios by pressing f2 at the lenovo splash screen and enable bios back flash.

5. Download this v2.07 bios, then flash it.

6. Prepare a bootable DOS usb and put everything form the EC folder to the usb.

7. Open bios, set the boot to legacy and legacy first and put the usb on top of the list.

8. After boot into DOS, just type "EC.bat" and enter. It will flash the v3.05 ec.

7. (optional) You can check the ec and bios version at the bios to confirm that you have EC = 3.05 and BIOS = 2.07

8. Boot into windows and open admin cmd, navigate to the bios folder and type "fptw64 -f v305Mod.bin -bios" it will flash the modded bios.

9. If no error, you can reboot and check the bios for unlocked menu.

Hope this helps and I take no responsible for anything happen to your laptop. This is what i do and it work perfectly.

And one last question, also many thanks for the fast response, but, I see the file name for that 2.07 BIOS you sent contains [stock], according to dxdiag and BIOS itself, I'm already on 2.07, so I assume for me, steps 1-5 aren't necessary? Also, I just follow these steps to make a bootable DOS stick? How to Create a Bootable DOS USB Drive And then just throw the files in the EC folder onto it, and then steps 7-9? I'm sorry for all the questions, I'm extremely new to flashing BIOS so I need all the help in the world so I don't destroy my laptop.

EDIT: What do I do with the ultrabay update files? o.O <----- Ignore..I'm too stupid to read the second post..

Hi guys, I updated my bios by downgrading to v2.07 whitelist following the instructions in the initial post, then upgraded back to V3.05 stock bios and ran "EC.bat" on a dos usb stick that worked fine, then patched the V3.05 stock bios and it would not upgrade because Error 280: Failed to disable write protection for the BIOS space! so I tried flashing v2.07 again and that worked and then I flashed my modded V3.05 and that worked just fine, everything seemed to be working. then I installed windows 7 and went to install all the lenovo y510p drivers (not in any order) and I it had me reboot a few times, and now I am stuck with a black screen and no logo even ! I tried following this Edmar Hobby - Electronic: Lenovo Ideapad Y580 Insyde Bios Reset/Recovery but it did not seem to help :/ please anyone can help me? lenovo support is not very helpful at this point

Hi guys, I updated my bios by downgrading to v2.07 whitelist following the instructions in the initial post, then upgraded back to V3.05 stock bios and ran "EC.bat" on a dos usb stick that worked fine, then patched the V3.05 stock bios and it would not upgrade because Error 280: Failed to disable write protection for the BIOS space! so I tried flashing v2.07 again and that worked and then I flashed my modded V3.05 and that worked just fine, everything seemed to be working. then I installed windows 7 and went to install all the lenovo y510p drivers (not in any order) and I it had me reboot a few times, and now I am stuck with a black screen and no logo even ! I tried following this Edmar Hobby - Electronic: Lenovo Ideapad Y580 Insyde Bios Reset/Recovery but it did not seem to help :/ please anyone can help me? lenovo support is not very helpful at this point

thats because you gota downgrade to 2.07 first then run the EC.bat in dos mode to update EC part then after that you flash your moded 3.05 bios since if you downgrade to 2.07 then to stock 3.05 then EC it will throw an error since 3.05 has write protection on EC while 2.07 does not.

Update: also like svl7 said you all should keep copy of your original bios.bin that bios backup tool creates :) it is so you can flash your original bios back to laptop if you don't want the mod anymore :)

• Thumbs Up 2

Bios for 3.0.5 contains the same or different voltages for 750M and 755M? If you use the same voltage, the 750m can work stably, but the 755 is not.

Did you actually test it or do you just claim that it won't work?

I'd be very surprised if the voltage I set is too low for the 755m.

On this note, is there some more input for a version with a lower default voltage? Anyone interested? As I said, you guys would have to tell me what's a stable voltage at default boost clocks.

Can any one please post full tutorial what to do? Step by step?
Some clearer Instruction on how to install the new version with an 3.05 stock bios already installed would be greatly appreciated.

I'll update the first post with instructions now. Can't make a video, I don't have an Y510p / Y410p.

thats because you gota downgrade to 2.07 first then run the EC.bat in dos mode to update EC part then after that you flash your moded 3.05 bios since if you downgrade to 2.07 then to stock 3.05 then EC it will throw an error since 3.05 has write protection on EC while 2.07 does not.

Update: also like svl7 said you all should keep copy of your original bios.bin that bios backup tool creates :) it is so you can flash your original bios back to laptop if you don't want the mod anymore :)

I did make a backup of the bios before I changed anything, its sitting on a usb flash drive but I just dont know how to flash it without being able to see anything on my screen

Main post updated with instructions for flashing v3.05. Let me know if anything is unclear.

My only suggestion attach 510p-Y410p_v207_[stock].zip and Fptw64_(8_series).zip files into first or second post post.

Is the reverting from modded 3.05 to stock 3.05 theoretically possible with lenovo 3.05 bios update file?

Or it should done be after some bios revert/ec revert?

Could you give some hints, because for majority of people warranty is crucial.

I know I've asked just it was posted much later due to late moderation and posting final 3.05 makes thread reboot.

Could you explain how did you optimized VBIOS for performance?

Ah, yeah, you can just flash the official v3.05 update to go back to stock, I'll add that. In this case no backup file is required.

Vbios - you should now get proper boost all the time and full control with under- and overvolting capabilities.

Latest is 5.165, but it doesn't matter.

So theoretically anyone can flash it(ultrabay nvidia card) with Windows nvflash, just replacing original file with your moded is required.

for 755M get files from

NVIDIA GeForce GT755M Second VGA BIOS Update for Windows 8.1 (64-bit) - IdeaPad Y410p, Y510p - Lenovo (US)

rename 755mOC.rom to A832.rom and replace original A832.rom with it

flash with method provided by Lenovo

for 750M get files from

NVIDIA GeForce GT750M Second VGA BIOS Update for Windows 8.1 (64-bit) - IdeaPad Y410p, Y510p - Lenovo (US)

rename 750mOC.rom to 9D3D.rom and replace original 9D3D.rom with it

flash with method provided by Lenovo

Also modded BIOS will work with stock(without voltage tinkering potential) or modded firmware 750M/755M.

EITED multiple times because errors in post.

Confirming success.

I was on a modded 2.07 previously and decided to go back to 3.05 with modded bios a shot.

To be safe, I followed all the steps and got it all working.

However, svl, I noticed the output of Biosfixer 2.0 from 3.05 zip file was named v305Mod.bin and I checked your BIOS.bat file had this line: "fpt -f 305mod.bin -BIOS". I fixed the BIOS.bat to match with the file name so I had mine as "fpt -f v305mod.bin -BIOS". Just a little something in case something people will come across...

My Intel 7260 AC that was working on modded 2.07 is still working on modded 3.05. So I want to say thank you for this!

In summary, Modded 2.07 -> Stock 3.05 -> Stock 2.07 -> Modded 3.05.

SIDENOTE: I had to remove my Intel 7260 AC card prior to flashing bios to stock avoiding the "unsupported wireless card message" and had "wireless" disabled in the bios the time being I was upgrading the bios.

• Thumbs Up 1