Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

Hey svl7, sorry to bother you. I'm really interested in bios unlocking, as I have a similar Lenvo model (G570), and the bios limits are very annoying (Basically, I can only change the date). Do you think I can unlock it's bios? Is it hard to do by myself?

My bios is: InsideH2O Version 03.60.4240CN33WW(V2.19)

It has the lastest update. My OS is Win 7 SP1 64bits

Heres a link to the bios update if you want to check it out:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS018378

Thanks for the help!

i created backup (Create a backup of your own BIOS by using this tool.

The archive contains the files of the program and a .bat file that will create a backup of your BIOS. You need to call the .bat file from an admin command prompt.)

now i want to go back v2.07-> v3.05 (from backup) but EC version still keeps 2.07

borrowed picture from 1st page.

post-21406-14494997772096_thumb.jpg

v3.05 -> 2.07

Hi

I used this on my computer with 3.05 BIOS

First you should go to this post and download the tool to backup your bios as they are now. Before doing any mod installation. After you have made a backup file save that file some were that you can remember it because your Windows key is in it.

Then download the downgrade file from this post and downgrade to 2.07 BIOS.

Then make another backup of the new 2.07 BIOS and then use the BIOS fixer from the first post again to install the mod to it.

Then you flash the new bios you just made, as they say in the first post.

Don´t forget to follow the instructions on these posts. This worked great for me and had no problems.

Many thanks to svl7 for making this possible!

I have question how can i go back to my original bios(backed up it first) ??

For anyone looking for a whitelist fix who may have come across the claim that the list applies only to the WLAN slot and not a secondary mini PCI, as I did on a couple pages, let me verify this for you:

Connecting a wifi card to the second mini PCI slot in the Y500 does not work. The card is simply not recognized at all. You will require the modified BIOS which removes the whitelist requirement.

There was something about fan in unlocked bios but i havent examined it yet.

So, now running unlocked 1.09 bios and sli-gpus unlocked too. Got my temps down quite easy:

1. From Intel Xtreme Tuning utility, undervoltage CPU -100mv, and frequencys set 4 cores 2,9ghz, 3 cores 3,0, 2 3,1ghz and 1 3,0ghz

2. For both the gpus, nvidiainspector is the answer. :) lower the max. temp from 96'c to 80'c. And with overclock you can compensate that temp (and clock) lowering thing. So i got gpu boost 150mhz and memory 200mhz. Gpu stays below 80'c because of undervoltage.

Sorry my bad english....

I am trying to get a Broadcom BCM4352 card to work in my lenovo y510p and it keeps giving me the "unauthorized card" error. Can someone please help?
You are at the right place. The Y510p (and Y410P) have "locked" bios so it doesn't allow such a change. You new to "flash" a new unlocked bios for this. So read this thread from the beginning, you will find ALL necessary information on how to flash an unlocked bios so you can alter your wifi card.

Just received my Y410P and going through the posts. Looking through my (stock 3.05) BIOS, there is a option "Allow Rollback". I assume this needs to be enabled before attempting any mods, or does it not matter?

There was something about fan in unlocked bios but i havent examined it yet.

So, now running unlocked 1.09 bios and sli-gpus unlocked too. Got my temps down quite easy:

1. From Intel Xtreme Tuning utility, undervoltage CPU -100mv, and frequencys set 4 cores 2,9ghz, 3 cores 3,0, 2 3,1ghz and 1 3,0ghz

2. For both the gpus, nvidiainspector is the answer. :) lower the max. temp from 96'c to 80'c. And with overclock you can compensate that temp (and clock) lowering thing. So i got gpu boost 150mhz and memory 200mhz. Gpu stays below 80'c because of undervoltage.

Sorry my bad english....

Hi if You can do something with a fan speed please let me know! I tried NVidia inspector and its helps to keep temperature above 83C but in games I noticed that there is a little fps drops sometimes... It's kind of shit that Lenovo is making a productivity witch you can't use! I had several gaming laptops before and the temps where nice and no heating of a palmrest but in y510p the side where ultrabay is so hot that I can hold my hand there longer then minute)))

For those who don't like the restrictions put on their system by Lenovo, here's a BIOS mod that will get you back at least some of the freedom you should have over your own hardware.

Features:

- VBIOS tweaked for more performance and better tuning possibilities

Could you please let us know exactly what was changed in the VBIOS?

and one more question - would you all say that the intel 7260 linked here Amazon.com: Intel Network 7260.HMWG WiFi Wireless-AC 7260 H/T Dual Band 2x2 AC+Bluetooth HMC: Computers & Accessories is still the best wireless card for this laptop? i'm unable to find if there is an update or one will be coming out soon. i don't have super high wireless needs, but i'm going to try to setup a synology home network soon and it might be nice to be able to transfer to it quickly

Hey, not sure if this is the right thread for this but i was wondering if anyone here knows whether the igpu in the lenovo y510p is disabled at a hardware level, in the bios, or some other way when running two gt750m's in SLI. The reason i wonder is because i was hoping to install a windows vm in linux and do a pci passthrough on both 750m's to the vm while running linux on the igpu. Can anyone tell me if this is at all possible?