Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

Can anyone kindly arrange the method into steps? I've tried every putting every file into the patcher and it still tells me the bios version is wrong but I already checked msinfo32 and it is confirmed to be 1.07. Thanks guys.

I would check from the bios itself and make sure what version it says when it first boots the bios. Also make sure you are creating a proper bios backup with the tool from step 1. It was simple short and sweet when i did it not sure what step you are getting caught up on leading to it report incorrect bios.

Hi,

I have been looking through the thread but there is a lot of confusing information. Wondering if this adapter will work for my y510p without any bios modding. I am on bios 3.5

Intel 7260HMW AN IEEE 802.11 Dual Band N600 Mini PCI Express Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter, 2.4GHz 300Mbps/5GHz 300Mbps

It probably wont work, just mod the bios like the rest of us :)

There is a easy guide in the thread how to downgrade.

I am not going to take a chance modding the bios on my brand new laptop. Maybe after the year warranty is expired I might give it a shot.

Then live with the fact that you are VERY limited to crappy hardware and wont be able to use much superior hardware. Also you can revert back to stock in case of needing to send in for service. I've had my y510p for 1 month and cannot live knowing that I am locked with specific hardware. The steps on installing the modded bios are crazy easy and took me at most 5 mins to do.

But hey your laptop not mine. What is the point of owning something you have no freedom with.

Then live with the fact that you are VERY limited to crappy hardware and wont be able to use much superior hardware. Also you can revert back to stock in case of needing to send in for service. I've had my y510p for 1 month and cannot live knowing that I am locked with specific hardware. The steps on installing the modded bios are crazy easy and took me at most 5 mins to do.

But hey your laptop not mine. What is the point of owning something you have no freedom with.

If this adapter from Newegg would work I don't need anything more. There is no sense in doing something that could potentially harm my laptop that I depend on daily for work. If I modded the bios on my laptop and something went wrong and I didn't have a laptop for work the next day I may loose my job. Some people depend on their computers and can't take any chances.

Newegg.com - Intel 7260HMW AN IEEE 802.11 Dual Band N600 Mini PCI Express Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter, 2.4GHz 300Mbps/5GHz 300Mbps

Is this confirmed to work with the 2.07 BIOS version? As of now there is no evidence to support vBIOS mods for the 755m that I know of

Then you're in the wrong thread, buddy. :)

I just figured you guys would know if this wireless card will work with stock 3.5. No one has been able to tell me for sure or not yet

Newegg.com - Intel 7260HMW AN IEEE 802.11 Dual Band N600 Mini PCI Express Wi-Fi plus Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter, 2.4GHz 300Mbps/5GHz 300Mbps

I just figured you guys would know if this wireless card will work with stock 3.5. No one has been able to tell me for sure or not yet

Then how about you just buy it and check and if it doesn't work return it. Done.

and you are making it sound like you are doing open heart surgery you can do more harm swapping out the card itself than doing this bios mod.

If you really depend on laptop that much then you should not be doing anything period not even swapping the card since you are that scared if the laptop messes up and you are going to end up losing your job. Seriously like Svl7 said you are in the wrong thread if that's the case

Is this confirmed to work with the 2.07 BIOS version? As of now there is no evidence to support vBIOS mods for the 755m that I know of

What do you need confirming?

I need some clarifications on this step "You need to call the .bat file from an admin command prompt.". What exactly do I type in the admin CMD? also it didn't work before because I skipped this step and a backup file was never made. Sorry guys, need some help here :(

I need some help with the very first step. Whenever I run the 'back up' .bat file it will give me an error and nothing happens. Could you be so kind and break the steps into smaller steps so I could understand it? It's also possible my bios version needs updating. Here's what it says in msinfo32.exe "BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 74CN26WW(V1.07), 08-May-13". Thank you so much.

This is a newbies question, how do I check which bios version I have on y510p? And is there a recommended version to base the mod on? What's the difference between the different versions? Thanks

For those who don't like the restrictions put on their system by Lenovo, here's a BIOS mod that will get you back at least some of the freedom you should have over your own hardware.

Features:

- Wlan whitelist removed, any (hardware-wise compatible) card should now work

- hidden BIOS menus unlocked

- VBIOS tweaked for more performance and better tuning possibilities

Keep in mind that not necessarily all of the BIOS options available with this mod will function completely, so use the new functionality with care. If you're unsure about something don't change it and ask here, someone might be able to help.

This is currently only for v1.07 / v1.09 / v1.10 users. If you have a different BIOS I will need a copy of it in order to make it work for your system.

EDIT: v2.04 and v2.07 added (only whitelist removal as for now, more to follow).

Instructions:

• Create a backup of your own BIOS by using this tool.
    The archive contains the files of the program and a .bat file that will create a backup of your BIOS. You need to call the .bat file from an admin command prompt.
    Don't delete your backup file, you will need it in case you want to go back to the stock BIOS some times. Also don't share it since it contains your personal Windows key including activation.
  • Download the attached BiosFixer, simply drag and drop your BIOS backup on it and it will create your personal mod for you.
  • Flash the modified file with the tool from the first step, use the command below:
    fptw64 -f v1xxMod.bin -bios

• Wait for the flash process to finish, if you don't get an error reboot. (You can safely ignore warnings about non-existing regions).

If you get and 'Error 104' when trying to flash, grab this archive and extract the file to the folder with the flash tool. Overwrite the original one.

In case you still get the error after doing this, run fptw64 -i > info.txt and attach the .txt file to a post here, then I should be able to help you.

Can someone please post some pictures of the bios menus? Thanks.

A screenshot of Nvidia Inspector showing the OC part would be nice as well, just for visual confirmation. I don't have a system to test it myself.

My donation link in case you want to buy me a beer ;)

I really need you to explain what does it mean by "You need to call the .bat file from an admin command prompt." I've tried launching the .bat file from admin cmd and dragging it into the cmd windows but nothing works. All it gives me is some error file after I clicked on batch. If you could break the steps up to make it easier to understand then it would mean the world to me. Both of my GT 750m are locked at 1189 Core when active (1076 on GPUz) and the memory on 3000Mhz. If I can unlock this I would still be able to push the core higher and still retain 70-80C.

I really need you to explain what does it mean by "You need to call the .bat file from an admin command prompt." I've tried launching the .bat file from admin cmd and dragging it into the cmd windows but nothing works. All it gives me is some error file after I clicked on batch. If you could break the steps up to make it easier to understand then it would mean the world to me. Both of my GT 750m are locked at 1189 Core when active (1076 on GPUz) and the memory on 3000Mhz. If I can unlock this I would still be able to push the core higher and still retain 70-80C.

It means runs the command under a admined CMD.... search CMD then right click and run as admin. Then CD (go to) to the folder with the backup.bat file is once in that dic, just type out the backup.bat file name (easy way is to just type the first letter and hit tab it will auto finish it for you). Once you hit enter it will start running some stuff and then spit a bios named file (this is your bios backup save it as if you ever want to revert back to stock you would need that) Leave the CMD open as you will need to use it again for the last step. Then open the mod tool from what ever version your bios is and just drag that bios file into the program after it's opened it will then create another file inside where the rest of the files are v1xxmod or something like that. Once it's done creating the file go back to the CMd window and

Flash the modified file with the command below in the CMD window

fptw64 -f v1xxMod.bin -bios

Note in my case mine was v2xxmod.bin but of course just make sure the name matches the file name when typing it out in the CMD window let it do its thing wait and as posted ignore the region stuff once done reboot.

This is a newbies question, how do I check which bios version I have on y510p? And is there a recommended version to base the mod on? What's the difference between the different versions? Thanks

Keeping either F2 or DEL once you turn on the laptop should put you into the bios screen and from there you will be able to see the Bios version.

Yes, you can use the modded bios regardless of your video card, provided your bios is one of the versions listed. If you download and run a program called cpu-z, you can look on the mainboard tab and see your bios version. It will probably be 1.07, 1.09, or 1.10. This isn't a vbios mod - it is a system bios mod, and the primary reason for using it is to be able to install a faster, better wireless card.

Hey I was wondering if I could use the modded bios in the OP for my y510p with gt 755m sli if anybody can help me I would very much appreciate it thanks in advance

If you was to bother to go through some pages not even all you would find your answer just on the last page you find it. let alone on another thread under this category.

1. You need to find out what BIOS version you have

2. If anything higher than 3.XX then you would need to look into downgrading to 2.07

3. Yes, downgrading to 2.07 is fine and everything will still work.

Hi guys. I finally modded my 2.07 BIOS and replaced wifi card with Intel 7260 AC but I started experiencing some issues with the card mentioned.

First when the Bluetooth is ON I cannot sleep my laptop (once going to sleep it is waking up soon afterwards by itself) and the second - prolonged booting time. The computer hangs on Lenovo boot screen and then turns off, reboot and start normally automatically. This in only happens when doing restart. Cold start is working fine.

Did you experience the same once replaced wifi module? How did you manage to resolve those issue?

Thanks!

Hi guys. I finally modded my 2.07 BIOS and replaced wifi card with Intel 7260 AC but I started experiencing some issues with the card mentioned.

First when the Bluetooth is ON I cannot sleep my laptop (once going to sleep it is waking up soon afterwards by itself) and the second - prolonged booting time. The computer hangs on Lenovo boot screen and then turns off, reboot and start normally automatically. This in only happens when doing restart. Cold start is working fine.

Did you experience the same once replaced wifi module? How did you manage to resolve those issue?

Thanks!

Turning off USB boot in the bios settings fixed this for me