Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

So is there any way to modify the v3.05 BIOS to whitelist wireless cards? I have yet to actually see any posts explaining how to downgrade from v3.05 to v2.07 or below.

I am at the point where I might just go ahead and remove the BIOS and edit it with a dediprog or similar tool; however, I'd really prefer not to do this, as it might require de-soldering the chip.

If anyone has any tips on downgrading or some advise on how to do this within the software, I'd highly appreciate it.

At this point, there's no way to modify 3.05 and no way to downgrade from it.

Hi Guys

I am new to the forum and not really "power user"But i have a Lenovo y510p single vga and i really would like to go around the +135 limit in Nvidia inspector

I read somewhere it possible to be done without bios mod is that possible and how to do that?

I will definitely try this as soon as I can. The oem bios has nothing. Has anyone else noticed tearing with the Y410P? I have tried many different Nvidia settings to no avail in Windows 7. The tearing also seems much worse in any of the 3 versions of Linux I have installed. It seems the official Nvidia drivers for Linux do not support whatever fake version of Optimus the Y410P/Y510P uses. Meaning only the integrated gpu can be used.

I have not had issues with tearing/ripping while gaming, however, I'm (unfortunately) using windows 8.1. I haven't tried to use win 7 yet. You have newest nv drivers and all that jazz, probably?

I've tried to use linux (on a flash drive) on my y410p the other day to check why my SSD isn't responding, but it only recognized the intel integrated. My experience with linux and optimus hasn't been good in general :(

Will also try BIOS mod when I can and after I get a copy win 7. V1.10 bios has absolutely nothing, stock Lenovo BIOS can rot.

Hmm. Got my y410p about a few months ago, and have been pretty fine with it.

Biggest complaints were the chiclet keyboard; (but I suppose that's Apple's fault for making it a semi-standard), half-assed touchpad; and most importantly the stupid wireless card.

This thing caused me many a crashes and BSODs. Even Lenovo knew it was a problem and made some overhaul to the wireless drivers list in the site to only include the Intel ones, completely removing the Atheros and Qualcomm WLAN drivers for Win7.

I can't wait to 5-post this forum and get the bios already. I can't believe that they managed to whup up the whole computer this badly solely due to the cheapo wireless card.

At this point, there's no way to modify 3.05 and no way to downgrade from it.

There might be, but I can't guarantee that it will work. If someone wants to test some things... let me know.

You can use BIOS 2.07 from the first post. Just make sure to not install any 3.x BIOSes, they are protected against any modifications.

I tried that, but the bios mod tool refuses tool modify my bios dump file. (ERROR - invalid input file. Make sure it's a proper dump of BIOS version v2.04, v2.07) Mine is v2.02.

Am i doing something wrong?

I haven't added support for v2.02 and I don't think I will as it is isn't necessary anymore. You can update to v2.07 by using this file here: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/5405-please-make-modded-y510p-bios-based-74cn44ww-v3-05-a.html#post77265

And then you can follow the procedure here on the first page. I'll modify the first post when I get the chance.

• Thumbs Up 2

I just got a Y410p and it came with 3.05 installed. I noticed there is an option in the BIOS menu to "allow back version of BIOS to be installed", but I'm guessing I'm not the first person to have seen this. I'd enable this option and download it but looks like I need to get posts in this forum first - so anyone with access to the BIOS files and a 3.05 BIOS tried this?

How can I figure out what version of the bios I'm using?

You can use CPU-Z or Aida64

I have the same question as you. Hope to find a way to manage the fan speed.

has anyone with the unlocked bios managed to modify the fan control. I wonder how is it possible to leave the fan at dust removal speed because it would be useful while gaming i dont mind my notebook noisy while gaming

I haven't added support for v2.02 and I don't think I will as it is isn't necessary anymore. You can update to v2.07 by using this file here: http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/5405-please-make-modded-y510p-bios-based-74cn44ww-v3-05-a.html#post77265

And then you can follow the procedure here on the first page. I'll modify the first post when I get the chance.

I can confirm this works, i upgraded to 2.07 , then modded bios according to procedure. works great!

My laptop is a: Y510P (00303NL) factory bios 2.02.

Many Many thanks, i've send you some beers!!!! enjoy the holidays!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello I have a y510p i5 gt750m sli. I updated it to windows 8.1 and had to do a flash of the bios to get the sli to function in windows 8.1 . the bios flash was provided by lenovo for the sli fix in windows 8.1 . I was so unpleased with the wifi performance of my y510p that i went looking for a fix and stumbled on your posts. I am so happy I was able to fix that with the information you provided. I have 1 question.I noticed that the sli mod you have listed is for the y500-y400 will that work on my y510p or do i need to locate a different one?

Hi,

i am trying to run this mod on a Windows 8 Y410P BIOS which i have regrettably lost the UEFI/BIOS admin password for which of course i am chagrined over but at least I have my original proof of purchase.

The official Lenovo solution is as you know to replace the motherboard at an additional cost. Not only do i feel Lenovo's solution is unfair but i do not have confidence in it. With this background out of the way...

I have run the commands you have given above with their subsequent fixes for "Error 104" but i still get "Error 51" an attempt to read beyond flash memory. i have attached info.txt as you have requested of those who continue to observe errors.

Please advise.

info.txt

guys, i am a noob and slowly learning how to mod my bios. I have the 2.07 version of the Y510p and all i want to do is clear the whitelist so i can change my wifi card. However i am not sure howto make a backup of my bios. To most i am sure the instructions are easy but to me they are not. Perhaps i am missing something. I downloaded FPTw64 and when i open it i am not sure where to go from there. Thank you very much for your help!

Run the backup.bat file. You will need to have admin cmd prompt for it to work. The backup.bat file will produce your backup bios file for you. Then download the Y510p-Y410p_[v2.04][v2.07]_BiosFixer_(Whitelist only).zip file and run the .exe and drop your backup in there and it will produce the new modified bios.

Take your modified bios file, rename it to something easy to type if you want. Then (to make things easier to understand), make a new folder on your c:\ drive called bios and copy the modified bios and fptw64.exe into it. Then open a admin cmd prompt and type

"cd c:\bios" <press enter>

"fptw64 -f biosmod.bin -bios" <press enter and wait and then reboot>

thanks for your reply. whenever i run the backup it just flashes on the screen for a second and then dissapears. Here is the error i get. and yes my user account is administrator and i am running the bat as administrator.

Error 284: Fail to load driver (PCI access for Windows).Tool needs to run with an administrator priviledge account.

I know it sounds silly but I still don't think youre running it in admin mode. I would try disabling UAC .

Disabling User Account Control in Windows 8 - Yash's Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs make sure you do registry edit. Reboot and retry. After you're done with all this, you can re-enable UAC again.