Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

Hmm. I'm getting error 103 with either of the fparts files. The is on a newish y510p (edited to add that it's Bios v1.10). Here's my fptw64 -i:

Intel ® Flash Programming Tool. Version: 9.0.0.1310

Copyright © 2007 - 2013, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Platform: Intel® HM86 Express Chipset

Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid

--- Flash Devices Found ---

Error 103: There are no supported SPI flash devices installed. Please check connectivity and orientation of SPI flash device.

I figured I's use some of my post cap to ask a question regarding the bios unlocking. How are Lenovo and others even allowed to do this? There is absolutely no basis for them to be able to say what parts can and cannot go into a machine once it is in the users hands. They can withhold warrantee support but that's about it. Admittedly I come from the desktop world but I find this very odd to say the least.

Thanks for the heads up. Just flashed it and now the y510p shoots fire out both sides (metaphorical fire of course) picked up an extra 20 fps in Tomb Raider now that the 2nd card is back up and waiting. Hoping the weekend will be settled enough for me to flash my 1.10 bios in order to use the 7260 I picked up.

Hi all,

I am also facing this predicament where am attempting to replace the terrible stock Atheros Wifi Mini card with an Intel Ultimate-N 6300. My Y510p has a 2.04 BIOS and I am really looking forwards to when it is available. Please let me know if there is anything I can do from my end to help.

I think its utterly stupid that Lenovo are doing this!!!

Thank you for this svl7 :)

I would have flashed it already if I didn't have the intel AC wifi card installed! damn Lenovo and their crappy whitelist.

I tried the VBIOS update and it seems to work with my modded BIOS. My AC7260 card still works and I have SLI with the newest driver. Of course, I might have broken something else, so your mileage may vary. However I think it makes sense since the WLAN whitelisting is in the BIOS and this update only touches the VBIOS.

After having read all the pages am I correct in inferring that the AC7260 is working with sleep correctly now. Have the latest proset wireless drivers and 8.1 ready and waiting. Card arrived as well. Just need the weekend to come so I have some time to get the back of this badboy to install... Living in an apartment building with way too many 2.4GHz networks is a huge drag on throughput. Throughput that is needed for the amazing power of this machine.

Guys I am having big trouble here.

Ok so I unlocked whitelist from bios and installed intel n6205 which has dual band support. I believe (I cannot remember clearly but) I tried 2.4ghz and 5ghz connection with my router and worked perfectly. However, I just reinstalled my windows 7 64bit yesterday and I cannot connect to 2.4ghz!!!! I can only connect to 5ghz!!! I mean seems like the wifi card finds 2.4ghz signal well beacuse I see it on my wifi list but when I type in the password and click connect, it says it cannot connect to wifi!!!!

All other desktop, laptops and smart phones work ok worh same router. And even I changed it back to original which was intel n2230 and it worked too?!

Please help me out here!! I have to use this laptop at school and froends house too!! I cant just use 5ghz!!!

Please!!!

After having read all the pages am I correct in inferring that the AC7260 is working with sleep correctly now. Have the latest proset wireless drivers and 8.1 ready and waiting.

No, I don't think so. My computer still won't sleep (running 8.1 and the latest drivers). However, I've found a workaround: disable the Bluetooth driver, but since I use Bluetooth it's kind of a hassle.

If someone has found a solution please tell me :)

Ok Thanks,

I appreciate it. I user Bluetooth as well but I have found I almost never care about the machine going to sleep since I got it. A friend put it best. This isn't a laptop its a small workstation with a small UPS in case of power failure :) I will be looking for a solution as soon as I get it installed so I will for sure keep you posted.

Guys I am having big trouble here.

Ok so I unlocked whitelist from bios and installed intel n6205 which has dual band support. I believe (I cannot remember clearly but) I tried 2.4ghz and 5ghz connection with my router and worked perfectly. However, I just reinstalled my windows 7 64bit yesterday and I cannot connect to 2.4ghz!!!! I can only connect to 5ghz!!! I mean seems like the wifi card finds 2.4ghz signal well beacuse I see it on my wifi list but when I type in the password and click connect, it says it cannot connect to wifi!!!!

All other desktop, laptops and smart phones work ok worh same router. And even I changed it back to original which was intel n2230 and it worked too?!

Please help me out here!! I have to use this laptop at school and froends house too!! I cant just use 5ghz!!!

Please!!!

Did you change the wireless mode in properties to see if it picks it up?

No, I don't think so. My computer still won't sleep (running 8.1 and the latest drivers). However, I've found a workaround: disable the Bluetooth driver, but since I use Bluetooth it's kind of a hassle.

If someone has found a solution please tell me :)

sounds like power control, did you try to search the latest driver update?

Lenovo replaced the mainboard in my y410p. I cannot get the new mainboard to dump out the BIOS using fptw64. It gives error 53. Here is the content of my fptw64 -i command:

EDIT: Never mind. Fixed it with abradner's modified fparts.txt

Intel ® Flash Programming Tool. Version: 9.0.0.1310 Copyright © 2007 - 2013, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

Platform: Intel® HM86 Express Chipset

Reading HSFSTS register... Flash Descriptor: Valid

--- Flash Devices Found ---

W25Q16BV ID:0xEF4015 Size: 2048KB (16384Kb)

--- Flash Image Information --

Signature: VALID

Number of Flash Components: 2

Component 1 - 2048KB (16384Kb)

Component 2 - 0KB (0Kb)

Regions:

Descriptor - Base: 0x000000, Limit: 0x000FFF

BIOS - Base: 0x180000, Limit: 0x5FFFFF

ME - Base: 0x001000, Limit: 0x17FFFF

GbE - Not present

PDR - Not present

Master Region Access: