Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

19 minutes ago, Onepamopa said:

Guys what do you think about the spectre/meltdown update that will arrive shortly from intel? Will it be a bios update or something else (meaning - so I flash my 3.08 stock to 3.05 modded, or do I wait) ?

I would not want to install new BIOS. It will slow down our PCs further. Haswell in y510/y410 is so slow and have heating problems, why would you want to slow it down even more with bios update? If its released that is. Of course another part of update will be Win10 update - this I think you cannot avoid if ure using Win10. Unless you need security, then I would suggest to buy new PC altogether with newer CPUs which does not have this error (Spectre and all others found). Because you know, they found same error in Nvidia GPUs (not amd though). Meaning you would also need new nvidia drivers and nvidia BIOS update. Which I would not want on this PC too, because it would slow it down even more...

33 minutes ago, lil kim said:

I would not want to install new BIOS. It will slow down our PCs further. Haswell in y510/y410 is so slow and have heating problems, why would you want to slow it down even more with bios update? If its released that is. Of course another part of update will be Win10 update - this I think you cannot avoid if ure using Win10. Unless you need security, then I would suggest to buy new PC altogether with newer CPUs which does not have this error (Spectre and all others found). Because you know, they found same error in Nvidia GPUs (not amd though). Meaning you would also need new nvidia drivers and nvidia BIOS update. Which I would not want on this PC too, because it would slow it down even more...

I think security is important, even if it comes at a cost of slowing down the PC.  I also don't know if I should trust a modded bios, because I have no way of knowing how and what it's modified, though I do have to get a new wlan card because the stock one is fried, I'm forced to use an external one... At least with a modded bios I can get an AC one.

Also, Intel confirmed that newer CPUs are affected too...

Edited by Onepamopa
Forgot to mention...

Hello guys,

I got the same problem, first I tried to replace damaged wifi card (Intel 2230) , so I bought the same, unfortunately I doesn't work. That's weird, every time I turn on the laptop an unauthorised card message shows up. 

I guess there's a special series of Intel wifi cards dedicated for Lenovo, Am I right?

Two things I realized that are not in the first post:

1. To downgrade from 3.05 to 2.07, you have to first enable Bios Back Flash from the BIOS. Configuration->Bios Back Flash->Enabled.

2. To boot properly into USB DOS, you need to change boot mode into Legacy, not UEFI.

Anyways, I'm really glad for this mod. This laptop is pretty much perfect for me except the wifi card. Now I can get a dual band wifi card.

Edited by AntiMetaman
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, AntiMetaman said:

Two things I realized that are not in the first post:

1. To downgrade from 3.05 to 2.07, you have to first enable Bios Back Flash from the BIOS. Configuration->Bios Back Flash->Enabled.

2. To boot properly into USB DOS, you need to change boot mode into Legacy, not UEFI.

Anyways, I'm really glad for this mod. This laptop is pretty much perfect for me except the wifi card. Now I can get a dual band wifi card.

I decided to wait for the latest bios which will supposedly fix spectre/meltdown, then wait for a modded version of that bios before flashing..

2 hours ago, Onepamopa said:

I decided to wait for the latest bios which will supposedly fix spectre/meltdown, then wait for a modded version of that bios before flashing..

Why wait? The 3.08 version has already been out since 2015. I doubt a new bios will come and it's going to take time for the new bios to get released and more time for someone to mod it again. I already flashed now so I can get my wifi card.

On 1/21/2018 at 4:58 PM, AntiMetaman said:

Why wait? The 3.08 version has already been out since 2015. I doubt a new bios will come and it's going to take time for the new bios to get released and more time for someone to mod it again. I already flashed now so I can get my wifi card.

Because of security? I'm already on 3.08 not-modded, and you are correct - we don't know if there will be a new bios for Y510p, if they skip it then we will have to find a way to mod 3.08 to include the new microcode fixes for spectre/meltdown .....

• Bios Modder
11 hours ago, Onepamopa said:

Because of security? I'm already on 3.08 not-modded, and you are correct - we don't know if there will be a new bios for Y510p, if they skip it then we will have to find a way to mod 3.08 to include the new fixes for spectre/meltdown .....

For enable safeguard against meltdown, you need install Windows update only.

For enable safeguard against spectre, you need install Windows update and new CPU microcode. In laptop Lenovo Y410p / Y510p we can see Haswell CPU, for that CPU Intel already present new microcode 23, with spectre/meltdown fix. Therefore, if it's needed, we can change in any bios versions the old microcode to the new one, any time now.

• Bios Modder
5 hours ago, Topyoyoguybest said:

Any hope for a bios with stock 00 microcode? :) I’m on a role destroying equipment, I would love a chance to blow up my laptop. 

Hi!

If you have that 00 microcode, then we can insert it in your bios.

On 1/24/2018 at 12:32 AM, Klem said:

Hi!

If you have that 00 microcode, then we can insert it in your bios.

I wish I was smart enough to even know what the stock 00 code meant. All I’ve seen is the procedure to find the existing microcode version in the BIOS, figure out how long it is in a hex editor, delete precisely the existing code, insert the sections back into the bios and reassemble. Seems like it’s adding padding to the deleted section and somehow when the chip sees nothing or junk, it defaults to 00h. The instructions are for a AMI bios and when I crack open the insydeh20 the microcode isn’t nicely organized, it looks jumbled in with padding. That’s as far as I got. 

So... if you can find the haswell code C3 06 03, delete it, reassemble at the same size, it would seem possible. Someone claims to have done this with a y510p and I think there’s a Y580 on HWBOT with an unlocked Haswell. Otherwise, this seems exclusive to AMI machines like MSI, ASus, and Clevo types.

If you think this is doable, please PM at your convenience. Im down for donating, too.

• Bios Modder
1 hour ago, Topyoyoguybest said:

I wish I was smart enough to even know what the stock 00 code meant. All I’ve seen is the procedure to find the existing microcode version in the BIOS, figure out how long it is in a hex editor, delete precisely the existing code, insert the sections back into the bios and reassemble. Seems like it’s adding padding to the deleted section and somehow when the chip sees nothing or junk, it defaults to 00h. The instructions are for a AMI bios and when I crack open the insydeh20 the microcode isn’t nicely organized, it looks jumbled in with padding. That’s as far as I got. 

So... if you can find the haswell code C3 06 03, delete it, reassemble at the same size, it would seem possible. Someone claims to have done this with a y510p and I think there’s a Y580 on HWBOT with an unlocked Haswell. Otherwise, this seems exclusive to AMI machines like MSI, ASus, and Clevo types.

If you think this is doable, please PM at your convenience. Im down for donating, too.

Send me your file backup of bios, from your laptop.

following the first step, when I run the .bat-file as admin the window blinks and nothing happens (right-click + 'run as admin'). I do not get a new file in the folder? Is the backup file in another location? Or does it only work on Win 8?

Im on Windows 7 x64 with 3.05 BIOS.

Edited by NicolaiLarsen91

• Bios Modder
3 hours ago, NicolaiLarsen91 said:

following the first step, when I run the .bat-file as admin the window blinks and nothing happens

Hi!

1. Put the folder with all files in to the root of disk C:

2. Run the Command Prompt as Administrator, and execute these commands:

cd \

cd  foldername

backup

After each command push the Enter button.

Hi there,

done everything as said in Post 1, but im having some issues here:

1: Bios Flash was successfull but trying to flash EC gives me "Dos memory buffer 2 allocate failed"

2: In Bios there is no option for switchable graphic. In the Video this option is available. Everything else is there, just this option is missing.

Any solution for this?

The switchable graphic (UMA) was the main reasen I did this, because I want to use an external gpu.

Thank you guys

• Thumbs Up 1

HI guys,

i need a help. i install mod everything good i need a suggestion what i need to disable(for disable nvidia dgpu or intel i don't know) to run EGPU in this laptop.

i select in pci setting sc to pci and my screen goes black so i gave it for repair now i don't want to do it again.:)

so please suggest a right answer which option is disable dgpu.

your quick reply highly appreciate. 

A little more than a week ago, Microsoft released emergency Windows updates to deactivate previous buggy security updates from Intel. This happened after the chip maker acknowledged that its firmware updates meant to address the Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilities could cause system instability, including random reboots.

Intel made very little progress on the fixes, Haswell has no stable MCU fixes

https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/02/microcode-update-guidance.pdf

Microsoft releases new emergency Windows update to deactivate Intel’s buggy security patches on your PC.

• 2 weeks later...