Lenovo Y410p / Y510p - unlocked BIOS / wlan whitelist mod / vbios mod

svl7

I have a lenovo y510p with modded 3.05.

Does anyone know what this setting does and what it changes? The setting is currently on SG

Video Configuration>Primary Display

And here's another setting I'm confused about, which the setting is on 100ms

Video Configuration>PCI express graphic>PCIE reset Delay

A little background story...

In the past I have bricked my laptop when i changed both of those settings at the same time. I remember that after changing both of them I was able to output video from my egpu to an external monitor.

but after a reboot I got a bricked laptop. After spending weeks trying to fix it, I finally got my laptop running again by getting new bios and ec chips.

I have my bios and ec unlocked again and have my egpu connected using the mPCI port. I'm able to see the graphic card in device manager but im getting a error code 43

I have tried removing the drivers with DDU and reinstalling them in many different ways but nothing seems to work. I have a feeling that its one of those settings.

I'm just to scared to try it again and get a bricked laptop again and lose another 3 weeks of my time.

Can anyone shed some light on what these settings do, and if it will help my situation?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I cant wait to mod my bios, cant stand out 51C on Idle and 95 on stress test on XTU.

Im planning to mod the bios, lower voltages, change the thermal paste and pads, do the spring mod.

I did open up the laptop better for cooling, like the whole heatsinis exposed and added switches to the brown wires.

Failed to format the device .  when trying to flash VBIOS on windows 10.

Trying to run the bat file with admin cmd gives error, Fwtp64 not recognized as an internal or external command, operable batch or program.

Edited by AndreiKan

On 12/11/2016 at 1:08 AM, KhaBOOM said:

Can anyone guide me on how to make a backup? I don't understand how to run it from command prompt. Thanks

try this.. 

move the backup file folder to C drive root and kept as B (for easy ref)

right click on start menu and start the command prompt (Admin)

change the directory using cd c:/B

type xxxx.bat and enter

it will shows the script process either pass or error message atleast enough to debug.

this will help you to run the commands (with elevated privileges) which are failed to run as Administrator option.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

so, I assume the only problem with patching the latest v 3.08 is: nobody has v. 3.08 EC firmware?

that's why we stuck on the v3.05?

how did you guys get the v.3.05 EC firmware with all menus unlocked?

maybe someone can grab it for 3.08, even stock, without all debug/extended options enabled?

The only thing found in the changelog from v3.05 to v3.08 is:

Summary of changes
==================
General Information:

74CN47WW 
1. Implement code for uEFI security vulnerabilities. 

I think the change is to small/unimportant for de devs to mod the bios.

I can provide the source files/backup if someone wants to mod V3.08...

1 hour ago, PhAnt0mFS said:

I think the change is to small/unimportant for de devs to mod the bios.

Yes, but the potential problem is in the accidental update to the latest BIOS.

I'm almost sure Lenovo won't release any newer version, so we'll be almost 100% safe from this scenario of we had v3.08 patched

I think I bricked my laptop. I could update just fine, except I couldn't flash the EC. I saw a post which said that it wouldn't be a problem so I just rebooted and could get into bios. I changed the boot device priority to boot from my SSD instead of HDD. I looked at a lot of settings but other than an undervolt of 10mV, I didn't change anything. Now when I rebooted, I get a black screen and the keyboard backlight turns on. Otherwise it's just nothing. I don't think the laptop boots into windows, as just typing the password and pressing enter (the sequence which should get me into windows) does not make any sounds. Therefore I don't think it's just the screen.

So my summary is as follows:

1. Flashed modded 3.05, completed succesfully

2. Failed flashing of EC failed, and I just rebooted

3. Entered bios, changed boot device settings and an underclock of 10mV

4. Rebooted

5. Black screen, fan turns on and keyboard backlight turns on. Laptop responds to fn+space to change keyboard lighting and long-press of power button shuts down laptop. Laptop does not boot into windows.

I'm right now searching for a few guides on resetting the bios. I read a bit about the contacts behind the RAM which should do something, but I'm having trouble refinding those posts.

Any suggestions/quick fixes or things that I can check?

Thanks!

update: I tried to recover using the fn+r or fn+b recovery method, but to no avail. I ordered a new dual bios chip from amazon which I hope will arrive somewhere next week. I'll keep you posted.

update 2: I switched the two bios chips around as suggested before. After this, the fan speeds up to max when turning on the laptop, the keyboard still responds to changes in keyboard lighting and beeps when removing/inserting the power plug. However, using the fn+r recovery method still doesn't work. Before the bios swap, the LED on the USB drive turns off after a few seconds, whereas after the swap it stays on. However, it doesn't blink, and I think that the flashing doesn't start. After about one minute, the laptop turns itself off. I tried this with two different USB sticks, both FAT and FAT32 formatted. I'm kinda lost about what to do now. I think I'll wait for the new BIOS chips to arrive.

Edited by Blokmeister
Update about attempted recovery

I just wanted to say it's incredible this has been put together, and I'm really excited to try it out once I'm able to download from this site. That said, if anybody can send me a copy in the meantime I would greatly appreciate it. 

On 02.01.2017 at 8:29 PM, Maxin said:

Hello! I did all the instructions.

It turned BIOS Version 305 and EC Version 207.

Why? Thank you.

Looks like the step 5 (EC flash) failed

re-flash back to the 207 and try again paying attention to the output of the EC command in step 5

Edited by MadD0c

Whats with the download? It just says

If you are unable to download this file, it may be due to one or a combination of the following reasons:

Oh nevermind. I figgured it out.

Another question though. If i am on 3.08 do i just need to downgrade?

Edited by Doge

On 1/2/2017 at 11:06 AM, Blokmeister said:

I think I bricked my laptop. I could update just fine, except I couldn't flash the EC. I saw a post which said that it wouldn't be a problem so I just rebooted and could get into bios. I changed the boot device priority to boot from my SSD instead of HDD. I looked at a lot of settings but other than an undervolt of 10mV, I didn't change anything. Now when I rebooted, I get a black screen and the keyboard backlight turns on. Otherwise it's just nothing. I don't think the laptop boots into windows, as just typing the password and pressing enter (the sequence which should get me into windows) does not make any sounds. Therefore I don't think it's just the screen.

So my summary is as follows:

1. Flashed modded 3.05, completed succesfully

2. Failed flashing of EC failed, and I just rebooted

3. Entered bios, changed boot device settings and an underclock of 10mV

4. Rebooted

5. Black screen, fan turns on and keyboard backlight turns on. Laptop responds to fn+space to change keyboard lighting and long-press of power button shuts down laptop. Laptop does not boot into windows.

I'm right now searching for a few guides on resetting the bios. I read a bit about the contacts behind the RAM which should do something, but I'm having trouble refinding those posts.

Any suggestions/quick fixes or things that I can check?

Thanks!

update: I tried to recover using the fn+r or fn+b recovery method, but to no avail. I ordered a new dual bios chip from amazon which I hope will arrive somewhere next week. I'll keep you posted.

update 2: I switched the two bios chips around as suggested before. After this, the fan speeds up to max when turning on the laptop, the keyboard still responds to changes in keyboard lighting and beeps when removing/inserting the power plug. However, using the fn+r recovery method still doesn't work. Before the bios swap, the LED on the USB drive turns off after a few seconds, whereas after the swap it stays on. However, it doesn't blink, and I think that the flashing doesn't start. After about one minute, the laptop turns itself off. I tried this with two different USB sticks, both FAT and FAT32 formatted. I'm kinda lost about what to do now. I think I'll wait for the new BIOS chips to arrive.

When you turn your laptop over and remove the bottom plate off you will see your RAM sticks. Near the bottom-left of the RAM sticks you will see two sets of contacts; one labeled JME1, and the other CMOS2. You need to short the CMOS2 jumper. You'll see a fine line between the contacts just use a paper clip or wire and short them together. DO NOT short the JME1 with the CMOS2 jumpers, you could cause the CMOS battery to short and that would need replacement. Here is a link to a photo that will show you what the jumpers looks like.

http://imgur.com/P7isA1O

On 1/19/2017 at 3:36 PM, Doge said:

Whats with the download? It just says

If you are unable to download this file, it may be due to one or a combination of the following reasons:

Oh nevermind. I figgured it out.

Another question though. If i am on 3.08 do i just need to downgrade?

Yes, First you must downgrade to 2.07 and then upgrade to the modded 3.05 BIOS and EC.

Be sure you to flash the BIOS and EC, or else you will have problems.

Hello, i'd like to do this on my y510p, however i cannot boot into windows at the moment. This means i can't/don't know how to backup my bios. I tried running the backup program by booting into dos from the usb and running the program, but that did not work. Any help that can be offered would be appreciated since this is the only step i cant do.

Some background info; im 99% sure my discrete graphics card is done for, which is preventing being able to boot past the lenovo loading screen. I want to disable that gpu completely in the bios and only run the integrated graphics card because thats definitely working.

Hello guys, I really needs some help, today I was going to try to undervolt my CPU though Intel XTU but before that I went to the BIOS to disable hyper threading, then I saw the same options to undervolt the CPU on the BIOS then I said, why not, should be better than use XTU to do it, then I brick my Y510P ;(.

I have read there is no way to unbrick from this issue, not even removing the CMOS battery, only one guy found a solution by installing another CPU (same socket, different model) and that worked, but right now I'm not sure if my CPU is completly dead or changing the CPU's is only to reset the BIOS settings, also the cheapest CPU I found on Amazon with the same socket is at $69 (without shipping, I'm not even on the US).

So my questions are:

Isn't there any way to unbrick / reset BIOS on this laptop from undervolting?
Is my CPU completly dead?

Do you know where can I find a cheaper CPU (Socket G3 / FCPGA946)

Edited by CYGNUX

• Bios Modder
2 hours ago, CYGNUX said:

Is my CPU completly dead?

No.

Try disconnect battery, then pull out all RAM modules, then start laptop. Then disable laptop, connect only one RAM module in first slot, then start laptop. If it doesn't work, then pull out all RAM modules, and insert one another RAM module (with another RAM size), and start laptop.

• Bios Modder

How to recover from soft brick Y510p, caused by changing Offset voltage in Unlocked BIOS.

As first step you need to remove back cover, disconnect Battery, and CMOS battery, unplug all RAM modules.
Then do Power Flee by pressing power button 20 secs or so.

Then connect AC, Power on, it will bootloop cos no ram installed.
- in one of the shutdown in-between bootloop , quickly connect CMOS battery connector back in its place. Let it reboot,
- it will shutdown again cos still no ram installed,
- after another shutdown ( still in-between bootloop ) quickly connect/insert 1 ram modules to its placed.
Then after next reboot it should back to life to enter Setup Mode. Then you could load Default Settings and restart or shutdown to connect battery and another ram modules, if you had 2 slots installed.

I hope this could help users experiencing soft brick after changing OFFSET VOLTAGE settings in bios setup menu.
NOTE: Do not change voltage ( undervolt ) in Inside BIOS! Only do it by Intel XTU.

Edited by Klem
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Bios Modder
1 minute ago, CYGNUX said:

@Klem I'll try this in a while, but where is the CMOS battery connector?, isn't the battery just soldered on the motherboard?

As first step you can try without disconnected CMOS battery. But if it doesn't work, then disconnect/desolder CMOS battery and try again.